Cheaper alternatives to grammarly

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Cheaper alternatives to grammarly

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Using Grammarly is a great first step, but it is certainly not enough for complex grammatical structures, agreements, and rules. If I am unsure of something, I normally look up the rules on an educational website (.edu) to see if I can find the answer to my question. Grammarly will catch things like missing punctuation frequently, but will not catch if there is a misused but grammatically correct word.

For example, this sentence is incorrect- The cab climbed up the tree. It should be "cat", but Grammarly only knows that "cab" is spelled correctly. Proofreading reviews multiple times over (even after one edit) is super important when trying to catch these errors. If you are really struggling with a rule even after using the internet, it wouldn't hurt to ask a question in this forum (if it isn't already there). :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice. I only came here to see what was recommended. I don't personally use any type of grammar checker, but I probably should start using one.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

Mounce574 wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 15:43 Natural reader to read your work back to you. Listen to it and any errors or unnatural sounding wording stands out.

Unless you pay for professional services, always double check. I found leaving my writing alone for an hour or so before proofreading helps me recognize errors that I normally would not have caught. When in doubt about a sentence, run the sentence only through one of the grammarcheckers.
I think this is the best advice you could get. Giving your work some time interval after writing and then going through it to correct any errors later helps to clear your head. I also do it all the time and everytime the review sounds as if it is written by somebody else.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I currently use a combination of Grammarly and Microsoft Docs. Then I use Natural Reader to check for weird sounding or too-long sentences. The next step is to leave it alone for a few hours. After you do that, read it aloud. It will help you make a few more adjustments. I make a thousand corrections even while I am submitting the review. And I am still improving, but the above steps have helped me a lot.
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

ProWritingAid, LanguageTool and SleekWrite could be of good help.
Mukoan M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukoan-m.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Mukoan M »

Thank you for this thread, I was also looking for grammarly alternatives. I will try the suggestions above.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Kaleidoscopic Shades
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

Here is what I do. After writing the review, I have the Grammarly keyboard. I use it to check and correct simple errors such as spelling and punctuation. I then copy the review to pro writing aid ( checking up to 500 words is free.) I then use Natural reader to read the review out loud. Then it's all done. I just submit. It's almost 100% effective.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
BookishWorld
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by BookishWorld »

JM Reviews wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 15:30 Here is what I do. After writing the review, I have the Grammarly keyboard. I use it to check and correct simple errors such as spelling and punctuation. I then copy the review to pro writing aid ( checking up to 500 words is free.) I then use Natural reader to read the review out loud. Then it's all done. I just submit. It's almost 100% effective.
This is quite helpful. It's great I found this thread.
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

NetMassimo wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 01:50 I'm currently using a combination of Scribens and the free version of Grammarly, which complete each other.
Does it work for you? I use this same combination and still get points deducted for punctuation.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Charlize Venter wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 04:03
NetMassimo wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 01:50 I'm currently using a combination of Scribens and the free version of Grammarly, which complete each other.
Does it work for you? I use this same combination and still get points deducted for punctuation.
Commas are still a problem. :( With commas, you really have to learn the rules, as automatic systems don't seem reliable.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

NetMassimo wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 09:21
Charlize Venter wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 04:03
Commas are still a problem. :( With commas, you really have to learn the rules, as automatic systems don't seem reliable.
Indeed, the automation is not that kind of reliable!
Graci Massimo 🙏
Beatrice Ochieng
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrice-ochieng.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Beatrice Ochieng »

Thank you for this, I will try.
Asya Shpakovskaya
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asya-shpakovskaya.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination: by J. Dawson Williams, D. Min.

Post by Asya Shpakovskaya »

Completely agree, in addition, the free version of Grammarly still shows all the mistakes, so it's rather easy to spot even those ones which are hidden :mrgreen:
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

I think; it is better to mix free tools or less costlly tools to check and recheck.our review.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I use a combination of scriibens, quillbot and free punctuation checker-writer tools. I only use the free versions. When in doubt about a certain rule, I google it. In most cases this works fine with me. I no longer use grammarly. I tried its free version but it marks many correct words and phrases as errors, so I stopped using it.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “International Grammar”