Would you have believed?

Discuss the June 2015 book of the month, "The Message?" by Avam Hale.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Would you have believed?

Post by Scott »

[This is a discussion about the June 2015 book of the month, "The Message?" by Avam Hale.]

If you were a character in Hale's story, do you think you would have believed Leah or not?

I doubt I would believe her. As is stated by the professor in the book, revelation is the most credible evidence for the one experiencing the alleged revelation but is the weakest form of evidence for others.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I might have believed at least some portion of her claims, based on the physical evidence.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
OvErBookeD
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-overbooked.html
Latest Review: "Daniella Beckett and the Beast of Whitechapel" by A. J. McLeod
Reading Device: B00G2Y5YIG

Post by OvErBookeD »

I had a similar question in my mind the entire time I read through this book. I see many people have viewed this as a religious book, and while, yes, there is a religion theme, the book (to me) isn't about religion at all. Instead it is about society and they way we have created a flawed way of deciding what information to value and what information to disregard. I wouldn't have needed to believe, because the message had value no matter where it was coming from! Now if the message had been "....you need to build an Ark, the world is going to flood...." This would be an entirely different conversation!

Love one another. This is a message that no one can credibly argue against. But in this book, people balk at it because of the supposed source. I just kept thinking "who cares who is saying it?! Just listen to what is being said, how can you find anything threatening in that?!"
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I would have believed her. I can imagine experiencing it myself. And as BookOwlie pointed out, she miraculously recovered from her injuries in a way that was undeniable. (I'm only on page 22 though, so I'll post more to this answer later.) But I'd say that whatever she experienced, regardless of if it was God or she only thought it was God, really did happen to her.

-- 13 Jun 2015, 23:52 --

I also agree with OverBooked's comments, and that sounds like it's in line with what the author intended, based on his preface. I also agree that it doesn't matter how weak the source. Jesus was born in a manger. He was certainly no prince with silver spoons, or whatever. I think the truth can be found in the unlikeliest of places!
OvErBookeD
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-overbooked.html
Reading Device: B00G2Y5YIG

Post by OvErBookeD »

Excellent way of putting it zeldas_lullaby! Each person exists within their own reality. I think it also says something about the need for people to hope, or to believe, that there is something more devine. This book even had me hoping that those who deserved it (we all know who they are!) got their comeuppance haha! That in itself is me putting faith in a power beyond myself.....

Have you made it farther than your 22 pages?
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Thanks!!

Nope, but I'm settling in for a reading session right now. I'll report back later!

-- 14 Jun 2015, 21:16 --

OK, I'm on page 46, and I would definitely believe Leah. I doubt Leah can maintain the clarity of the vision for long though--it's been my experience that such things slip away. Here's Leah, out of her coma, trying to tell everyone what she experienced, and her sister doesn't believe her. Eventually, the vividness of Leah's experience will dissolve, and she won't be able to hold it in her heart any longer.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I'll be honest and write that I don't think I would believe her words on being miraculously healed. A genetic anomaly I might believe, but such a miracle? Mmmmm... ;) However, I do already believe many of the other things she had to say, i.e. the bit about God's love being unconditional. I think many cultures and religions have painted God in a very unfavorable light with all their carefully formulated scriptural analyses and dogma, but he is certainly not a heathen of any kind. I don't believe so, anyway.

A great comment, OverBooked! :)
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
Big_B99
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-big-b99.html
Latest Review: "Understand Accounting Terms" by Akshay Rajgor

Post by Big_B99 »

Honestly, I don't know if I would have believed, based on Leah's story. Her recovery would have been an eye-opener, but I think that I would lean more toward to the opinion that the story-or at least some parts of the story-was made up. Over time though, I think that I would start to reconsider my thoughts, based on the massive public reaction.
Latest Review: "Understand Accounting Terms" by Akshay Rajgor
zanderlyrose
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanderlyrose.html
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by zanderlyrose »

I don't think I would have believed her. However, I would have fully supported the message. For me religion isn't even needed for the message to be an important one. I feel people should be kind and love, God or no God, message or no message.
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I think it would be really difficult to believe Leah. It's so hard to understand an experience from another person's point of view. Add to that my skepticism and strong foundations in science, and her story would just not resonate with me. It kind of reminds me of that Todd Burpo book Heaven is for Real. I found it difficult to believe the little boy even though there were some fairly convincing arguments that he'd seen the other side.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Melissa Coffield
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15364">Odd Thomas</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-coffield.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Melissa Coffield »

I would have believed her. I don't see where else the message could have come from. Her subconscious? Maybe. But I am also one that believed in near death experiences. I believe in Angels. I believe in God. But I am like Leah. I am not very religious. I have not been to church in years. I would have been one that her message would "reassure" and comfort. Therefore, my belief would be one based on faith and not facts.
I also think that it should not matter who the messenger is or who sent the message if it is about loving one another. We are an extremely "self absorbed society. Take Christmas for example. The time when we are suppose to be celebrating the birth of Christ. The time when we are most suppose to be giving, loving, and forgiving. What do we find instead? Love for those we are close to, yes; but those we don't know we don't care about. We (not me) push them down on a frenzy for a black Friday deal. We are impatient with cashiers and store workers for various reasons. We honk, yell and curse at the driver who cut is off ( would you do it if they were your friend?). Bottom line is people need to be less self absorbed, more loving and giving. I think this book delivered the message well.
Perseverance is impossible if we don't permit ourselves to hope.
Dean Koontz, Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)
cgoss74
Favorite Author: Danielle Steel
Currently Reading: Follow You Home
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgoss74.html
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 3250

Post by cgoss74 »

I would have believed her because I believe their is a God and why wouldn't He want us to know He loves us.
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Jausten11
Favorite Book: sun also rises
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jausten11.html

Post by Jausten11 »

I may have believed her...but questioned rather or not she simply saw this in a dream. Though I believe in God and think that it is a beautiful story about God sending a message to his people.
powergirl
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by powergirl »

As i am concerned i would trust what She says and even help her to accomplish her mission.
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare
chukskelly onyebuchi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chukskelly onyebuchi »

I am more concerned about leah's character than her reputation. Some portions of her claims may seem contradicting but looking at the situation critically her healing was never magic but miracle. Despite all I believe her words

Return to “"The Message?" by Avam Hale”