"Running with Guilt" by Maggie Stancu

Discuss the May 2015 book of the month, Holding Fire.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Re: "Running with Guilt" by Maggie Stancu

Post by kio »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:
kio wrote:I loved how complex and flawed the main character was. She's not only the protagonist, but an antagonist as well. Her guilt almost reminds of the guilt you see in Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe. I love the play on the name Vic. A "vic"tim turned killer :) I had a little hard time following the timeline, but is was very well done.
:text-goodpost:
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

You're welcome! :-)
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

The ending was a surprise. I didn't see it coming, either.

But I wanted to know how she got into the situation she was in. What did her boyfriend do that he deserved to be killed and what did Paul have to do with it?

But I understand why we don't know. There was a 10,000 word limit. ;)
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I was impressed that someone her age could write such an insightful short story. I wanted to know some background on the characters and why the protagonist came to be in her situation. However, I understand the short story time limit. The writing was superb and the ending was a great twist!
michelewhite0068
Favorite Author: Robert McCammon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 88">Doctor Sleep</a>
Currently Reading: 11.22.63
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelewhite0068.html
fav_author_id: 2690

Post by michelewhite0068 »

I must confess that when I started reading this story by Maggie Stancu, I was under the impression that I was in the hands of a young person (I was thinking someone that was around 20 years old). While the writing was astounding and the twist at the end made sense, it made sense in a way that young people think today. As someone of an older generation, I still found the story compelling, otherwise I would never have finished it. I thought the story showcased Maggie's potential as a future master storyteller. The mindset of the author shows throughout the story, which adds to the believability; and yet, it was obviously written by a relatively young writer and dare I say it, she has a small bit of naviety regarding the ending. Not that it didn't make sense or that the twist wasn't a good one, but I guess I feel a little cheated because of one aspect of the ending. Great first effort ...nothing short of amazing. :text-blondmoment:
A book is a gift you can open again and again--anonymous
avid reader28
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avid-reader28.html

Post by avid reader28 »

Well, I thought the story was well written , packed with tension but I had quite hard time relating to the characters :)
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I really enjoyed this short story. I agree with what many people have already said about the time stamps adding more tension and helping the story move along. I honestly thought Paul was a demon or devil of some sort. The way he showed up was spooky and seemed supernatural. I saw the twist coming at the end. I love the way Stancu made the character less and less recognizable to herself through physical changes.

Great writing. I am so glad Stancu took a chance and let us read this great piece.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
calfurshoney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calfurshoney.html

Post by calfurshoney »

It was a good dark story. Scary how Paul stalked her but saved her to go on do his next deed. Love how it ended, surprisingly caught me off guard. Look forward to reading more from Maggie!
castor
Favorite Author: G.G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: The Palace of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-castor.html
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
Reading Device: B002R5UYXY

Post by castor »

Not something special. I would say it is a decent short story. But I should admit that given the young age of the writer, it is a very good effort and shows that Maggie has a potential. I agree that the timestamps give more tension to the story. I also liked the twist at the end, which I did not expect. I think that Maggie should built more on the background of the story. The word constraint mentioned by others is not a valid because other stories in the book have triple length than this one. This story is about 3000-3500 words. Not even near the 10000. Anyway, I would to read more from Maggie in the future because I believe she has the skills to write even better.
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Yeah, I think she's ahead of the game to be writing so young. When I was her age, I was a decent writer in a technical sense, but I had no fictional stories inside me. None at all. I know because I remember my senior-year English teacher assigning us to write a short story, and I struggled massively. I think Stancu has a good future ahead of her if she's already writing this!!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Yeah, I think she's ahead of the game to be writing so young. When I was her age, I was a decent writer in a technical sense, but I had no fictional stories inside me. None at all. I know because I remember my senior-year English teacher assigning us to write a short story, and I struggled massively. I think Stancu has a good future ahead of her if she's already writing this!!
I agree. I was very impressed with her writing, along with the authors' work in this collection. When you consider that many of them are very young, it's doubly impressive!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kappy
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

I found the ending especially interesting because of multiple possible interpretations. If you read the last sentence carefully, you will realize several things could have happened afterwards. For example, the gun could have misfired, or she could have changed her aim before pulling the trigger.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
kstockard
Currently Reading: The World at Night
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kstockard.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by kstockard »

I loved Maggie Stancu's running with guilt. First of all, the date and time made the story seem like an episode of the first 48. To me, that factor really adds to the story by adding a layer of suspense. It also helped to set up a clear timeline, which I really enjoyed. I also loved how she used repetition of the phrase "I killed a man" to add to the character's psychological state. I am just really impressed with Maggie Stancu in this short story. Love it!
zanderlyrose
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanderlyrose.html
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by zanderlyrose »

I haven't read any short stories in a while and was pleasantly surprised by this one. I really liked the ending, as well as the little backstory into why that was provided.
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

This was my favorite story! The main character was complex and to see how her guilt ultimately affects her was really great. I wouldn't have minded reading more about the characters at all.

Return to “"Holding Fire: Short Stories of Self-Destruction"”