Do you believe in a God?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.

Do you believe in a God?

I believe AND I know he exists.
51%
I believe, but I don't know for certain he exists.
13%
I don't believe because I don't know if he exists.
13%
I don't believe and I know God doesn't exist.
14%
I have no idea and I don't really care.
6%
Pacific Ocean.
4%

Total votes: 71

laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2475

Re: Do you believe in a God?

Post by laci_baby »

I do. I went through stages where I would be angry with him and ignore talking to him or listening to any of his greatness, I became buddhist, wiccan, tried atheist for a while, studied science trying to explain everything, mostly out of spite and wanting to feel fulfilled and happy but no matter what I did I wasn't happy. Then one day I just started cracking up laughing because out of all the absurdities of what I believe of myself I still believed in him. No matter how angry I was with him, I would always believe in him. I'm not angry anymore and I thank him every day for his blessings and I've never been happier. No matter what make sense to believe in it makes me happier to believe in him, so that's what I stick with.
But I do accept other people's beliefs and I don't look down on them for their beliefs. Everyone has to find their happiness somewhere. Mine just happened to be God.
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

BEAUTIFUL LACI............... couldn't have said it better myself! :)
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

It doesn't matter whether you believe in God what matters is does God believe in YOU?
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

Very true Fran. I guess there's some questions we'll never know the answers to.
I would like to say 'of course he believes in me' but I wouldn't really know for sure.
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Personally I'd say whether we believe or not, a God is not actually going to do anything for us - it's down to us, our own inner resolve, our inner strength. Regardless of who we worship or what book we read, we know the guidelines, the right from wrong, we have the power to make or break, to be happy, less demanding and more giving but it does take effort.

Prayer is cathartic and people talk to God all the time whether they believe or not, they say "Thank God that worked" when things go right, or blame the Gods when things don't work, whereas ultimately ‘The way, the truth and the life’ is in their own hands.

If a person connects with a God and it works for them, I say go for it.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

yup! as you say : " if a person connects w/a God and it works for them , i say go for it "..

my sentiments EXACTLY..............
God is good!
for those of us who have " blind faith ", it's a wonderous feeling to have God in your life...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
thegiltyone
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegiltyone.html
Latest Review: "Life Ain't A Fairy Tale" by Miguel Rivera

Post by thegiltyone »

I think it's like Bigfoot and the Tooth Fairy. Too many horrible things happen. I can't believe in a God.
Latest Review: "Life Ain't A Fairy Tale" by Miguel Rivera
Fran

Post by Fran »

suzy1124 wrote:yup! as you say : " if a person connects w/a God and it works for them , i say go for it "..

my sentiments EXACTLY..............
God is good!
for those of us who have " blind faith ", it's a wonderous feeling to have God in your life...
@suzy
History tells of the dreadful things that have been done by people because of "blind faith" and a conviction that they have God on their side.
To quote Pascal: "Men never do evil so completly and so cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction"
- My Home by Clive James
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Fran wrote:It doesn't matter whether you believe in God what matters is does God believe in YOU?
Fran, i've been meaning to ask you what the meaning of the above is ??? i've re-read it many times...duh on me! :oops:

Sorry you misunderstood, when did i ever say that i thought " God was on my side ? "...

let's see, was it after the tragic death of my 39 yr.old soul mate, father of my 2 children?

or maybe the sudden death of my 2nd husband?....take your pick!...

I' d venture to say that you're referring to those religious fanatics, lunatic fringes of society...the misfits who are so adept at starting wars...

for heavens sake WTH does that have to do w/me ?...

although a very " spiritual " person, i have no need for churches, temples, etc.............i also follow no religion..can't stand " bible-thumpers ", etc...

i've found that the " churches " are filled w/the BIGGEST PHONIES in the world............

hope that clarifies my position on this subject............btw, i agree w/that Pascal quote 200%!!

one of my fave quotes is by C.S. Lewis...

" I believe in Christianity as i believe that the sun has risen, not only because i see it, but because of it i see everything "

( i'm not a " Christian " but wholeheartedly agree w/the thrust of his statement )...by blind faith i mean, as you age you realize that not everything requires " proof " or an answer............it's more a gut feeling and an " instinct "..which in my case has evolved over the years into my present belief system re a " higher power "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Fran

Post by Fran »

@suzy
By pure coincidence (is there such a thing?) I happened to be listening to Bob Dylan's "God on our Side" as I was reading your post. A great song.
Not sure where I read that line about God believing in you - I guess I read so much there are lots of little snippets that just seem to lodge themselves in my brain. I think what it means is are you leading a life that your God would believe that you are doing your best - rather as you might say to a child "I believe in you and I believe you can do this".
I'll probably annoy you again now but I must share with you something I heard on radio recently. This person, who happens to have had a particularly tough deal in life, was talking about those who say they are not religous but are very spiritual & he said in his opinion "Religion was for people who are scared of going to hell and spirituality is for people who have already been to hell & survived it". I though that was quite an interesting, and funny, way of making the distinction.
Sorry if I annoyed you, really I did not mean to but was just musing on a Sunday.
- My Home by Clive James
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Fran wrote:@suzy
By pure coincidence (is there such a thing?) I happened to be listening to Bob Dylan's "God on our Side" as I was reading your post. A great song.
Not sure where I read that line about God believing in you - I guess I read so much there are lots of little snippets that just seem to lodge themselves in my brain. I think what it means is are you leading a life that your God would believe that you are doing your best - rather as you might say to a child "I believe in you and I believe you can do this".
I'll probably annoy you again now but I must share with you something I heard on radio recently. This person, who happens to have had a particularly tough deal in life, was talking about those who say they are not religous but are very spiritual & he said in his opinion "Religion was for people who are scared of going to hell and spirituality is for people who have already been to hell & survived it". I though that was quite an interesting, and funny, way of making the distinction.
Sorry if I annoyed you, really I did not mean to but was just musing on a Sunday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fran!....no way did you annoy me at all...actually i enjoy these type discussions...very enlightening...
our whole l'il repartee here was worth the wonderful quote above comparing religion vs. spirituality...WOW! i agree, never heard that one... very funny and interesting, and Soooo true!...

Thanks for your query, i appreciate your interest... 8)

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I do believe in a higher power, I am not a religious person, but I believe it is something that none of us truly understands and the name it has been given is God and I accept that.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:I do believe in a higher power, I am not a religious person, but I believe it is something that none of us truly understands and the name it has been given is God and I accept that.
Love it :!: :!: ...Soooo SUCCINCT!..." BREVITY IS THE SOUL OF WIT "....Shakespeare...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
EricaDepp

Post by EricaDepp »

yes i beleive in god
Yukiora 24
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yukiora-24.html
Latest Review: "Redtail" by Jerry a wilkinson

Post by Yukiora 24 »