Spam- important notice.

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
BooksNJoy
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: The music of the spheres
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2475

Re: Spam- important notice.

Post by BooksNJoy »

Definitely, that was important to clarify.
We're here to have good time talking, sharing points of view... We're not promoting anything.
Thanks a lot.
"And, after all, what is a lie? 'Tis but
The truth in masquerade."

Lord Byron, Don Juan
B_elk123
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-elk123.html
Latest Review: "L" by Dane Swan, Various

Post by B_elk123 »

Thanks for the heads up!
Latest Review: "L" by Dane Swan, Various
chaser

Post by chaser »

It's nice not to have to run into all the spam...it seems to be a bit harsh that I can't quote a post that asked me a direct question, though. It said that links were forbidden and that it was considered spam, although it was just a previous post. I'd never run into that particular problem before.
Yukiora 24
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yukiora-24.html
Latest Review: "Redtail" by Jerry a wilkinson

Post by Yukiora 24 »

Message Received!
Latest Review: "Redtail" by Jerry a wilkinson
Bookworm0266
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Post by Bookworm0266 »

Scott wrote:Yes, thank you very much Mike for your work moderating the forum.

If you want, I would be happy if you added the following rule to your list:

If you are an author or publisher, you may not start a topic about your own book. If you are a new member and one of your first few posts is to tell us how great a book of which almost none of us have heard, it will be looked at very, very suspiciously and may be deleted because it will seem like it's your book and you're just dishonestly pretending it is not.

Also, I would like to point out to all the members, especially the new, that I have added an easily-updatable blacklist, meaning that it will backfire on new members if they try to inappropriately promote a blog, website or other URL, namely by trying to malform the URL so it is not automatically blocked by the filters or by telling us how to get to the website using Google. This is because I will add the URL to the blacklist (which takes me less than a minute), meaning nobody at all will every be able to post the URL ever again. So when in doubt, leave the links ads, and self-promo out. :)
I think that is a great rule.
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I've always been curious about this... since I have been a member here (just over a month or so), I have never witnessed any spam for myself. Does it happen often? I want to see someone get angry! Hahaha! 8)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

ALynnPowers wrote:I've always been curious about this... since I have been a member here (just over a month or so), I have never witnessed any spam for myself. Does it happen often? I want to see someone get angry! Hahaha! 8)
Not that often, but now and then. You didn't noticed since it has been taken care off. :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

ALynnPowers wrote:I've always been curious about this... since I have been a member here (just over a month or so), I have never witnessed any spam for myself. Does it happen often? I want to see someone get angry! Hahaha! 8)
We will take that as confirmation that the site is being well monitored - thank you for the complement (even if it was unintended) :lol:
BTW if you want to see "someone get angry" you don't have to go far on the net to find plenty of sites where anger, infantile abuse & bullying behaviour are the norm & apparently tolerated but IMO it has no place on a book and reading forum ... we're above all that sort of thing! :wink:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Fran wrote:
We will take that as confirmation that the site is being well monitored - thank you for the complement (even if it was unintended) :lol:
BTW if you want to see "someone get angry" you don't have to go far on the net to find plenty of sites where anger, infantile abuse & bullying behaviour are the norm & apparently tolerated but IMO it has no place on a book and reading forum ... we're above all that sort of thing! :wink:
Haha, you're so right! One if my favorite things about this place is how friendly everyone is. Even when people are rude in the help forums, moderators are always super polite and professional. Even users are generally awesome and I never even see any foul language or inappropriate talk. I couldn't even imagine anyone getting angry around here.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

ALynnPowers wrote:
Fran wrote:
Haha, you're so right! One if my favorite things about this place is how friendly everyone is. Even when people are rude in the help forums, moderators are always super polite and professional. Even users are generally awesome and I never even see any foul language or inappropriate talk. I couldn't even imagine anyone getting angry around here.
I could not agree more! This is the best forum I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of! You guys all rock! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
manchesters24h

Post by manchesters24h »

Very interesting and useful post..
MelissaRDH

Post by MelissaRDH »

Agreed!
puffbear
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-puffbear.html

Post by puffbear »

Thank you so much for the information...I did not know
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

I found some spam right here:
:character-spamcan:

:character-beavisbutthead:
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

ALynnPowers wrote:I found some spam right here:
:character-spamcan:

:character-beavisbutthead:
Ha ha awesome. I've been here under a week and love it. Therefore, you all do a fantastic job. Thank you
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”