Are success and achievement the same thing?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Nwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Are success and achievement the same thing?

Post by Nwa »

Everyday breeds a new dreamer and every dreamer breeds a new fighter.
And what every adorable fighter prays for is the completion of that particular goal.
When reaching a particular destination, the traveller is sure to encounter ups and downs, fatigue and obstacles... Challenges that threatens to stop him from continuing.
Some dreamers find it hard to continue while some fight harder, push harder. Even if they fall, they get up again.
No matter what the outcome maybe, good or bad, they want that goal accomplished.
That's success.

And then after the effort and skill and hardwork and you have reached that goal successfully and its beautiful.
A wonderful creation or idea, that's achievement.

Someone made mention of this and it just got me thinking.
What are those things I've started at some point but abandoned because I thought it would yield no result?

Was it really okay to say I have achieved something because of the time and effort I invested?

What do you think?
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Nwa wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 15:39 Everyday breeds a new dreamer and every dreamer breeds a new fighter.
And what every adorable fighter prays for is the completion of that particular goal.
When reaching a particular destination, the traveller is sure to encounter ups and downs, fatigue and obstacles... Challenges that threatens to stop him from continuing.
Some dreamers find it hard to continue while some fight harder, push harder. Even if they fall, they get up again.
No matter what the outcome maybe, good or bad, they want that goal accomplished.
That's success.

And then after the effort and skill and hardwork and you have reached that goal successfully and its beautiful.
A wonderful creation or idea, that's achievement.

Someone made mention of this and it just got me thinking.
What are those things I've started at some point but abandoned because I thought it would yield no result?

Was it really okay to say I have achieved something because of the time and effort I invested?

What do you think?
I think it was Robert Lewis Stevenson who once said, "To travel with hope is a better thing than to arrive, and true success is found in the labor."

When you invest time and effort into something you open doors, and even if the paths these door open upon are dead ends you have still gained from the experience derived from the effort. Life is a highway and there are many divergent roads which intersect it. Some lead to good things, others to bad, and some lead nowhere. But that's what life is - an exploration. Sometimes we make bad choices and take the wrong road, but often fate allows us to backtrack and start over. This is not such a bad thing, for even failure produces the wisdom of experience.

There is a quote I love and perhaps it will shed a new perspective to your question. It is variously attributed. This is the Hemingway version as I recall it from memory:

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, a man whose face is covered with dust, and sweat, and blood; who, if he wins, realizes the thrill of high achievement, and if he fails, fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Nwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Nwa »

@DATo that's a very good point.
Thank you.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

I believe achievement is being able to check/cross out the things that you need to do i.e. your goals but success is being able to do that and being happy with the results. :)

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”