Do you believe you can lose weight due to reading too much?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Do you believe you can lose weight due to reading too much?

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I have seen people experiencing fatigue after a long day of reading. Some people get headaches too. I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing but it is evident that your brain can get tired while reading.

Reading is good for the brain. It improves your memory and relieves you from stress. If we look at reading as a form of exercise, do you believe you can lose weight because of reading too much?
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

I don't think reading is exercise. Mental activity does burn calories, but so few compared to actual, physical movement, that I doubt it's even measurable.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

On contrary you gain so much weight when reading too much all you do have is brain activity no physical activity for that matter, I only consider reading books as my favorite past time when I am free and got nothing to do. I also go out on my way to exercise and do some stretching most days of the week and diet also play an important role when you wan to lose weight.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Mildred Tabitha wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 03:40 I have seen people experiencing fatigue after a long day of reading. Some people get headaches too. I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing but it is evident that your brain can get tired while reading.

Reading is good for the brain. It improves your memory and relieves you from stress. If we look at reading as a form of exercise, do you believe you can lose weight because of reading too much?
I think the headaches might possibly have been the result of eye strain. One can feel fatigued by NOT getting enough physical exercise just as one can by getting too much. I don't think a person can lose weight by reading. As Snowhite189 said, probably the opposite is true.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Oliviab123

Post by Oliviab123 »

I don’t think reading can help a person loose weight if that’s the case everyone will be small
fattystar88

Post by fattystar88 »

Too much of reading can made person to be infant
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

DATo wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 05:55
Mildred Tabitha wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 03:40 I have seen people experiencing fatigue after a long day of reading. Some people get headaches too. I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing but it is evident that your brain can get tired while reading.

I think the headaches might possibly have been the result of eye strain. One can feel fatigued by NOT getting enough physical exercise just as one can by getting too much. I don't think a person can lose weight by reading. As Snowhite189 said, probably the opposite is true.

Nice point! I always reduce my phone's screen light to zero believing it won't cause an eye strain. So I might rule that one out as a possible reason for my headache.

I am surprised that someone can be fatigued due to lack of physical exercise but come to think of it, our body organs need some movement and for blood to circulate freely throughout the body.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

I like eating while I read, and really, weight gain or loss is about diet mostly. So no, I don't think so.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Dee_7Reichardt
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Currently Reading: Tears and Trombones
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-7reichardt.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dee_7Reichardt »

I would say that reading is usually a sedentary activity. As such, it would be difficult to lose weight if calories consumed are not fewer than calories expended. However, audiobooks could be a good way to "read" and exercise that would allow for both to be done at the same time. To add to the point about eye strain and headaches, some phone and computer screens offer a night mode that reduces the blue type light that strains eyes. It may be helpful for some to use these functions if they're available. With reading, exercise, and diet, moderation is usually a good way to go.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

The brain can suffer from too much mental strain, of which reading can sometimes be a part of. I also think the material being read can make a difference. For example, if your job involves a lot of deep research, reading could get exhausting and appear stressful. You can also counteract that with some light reading or just closing the book altogether while opting for music or movies. But that is certainly not the same as burning calories which involves actual physical activity.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I wish I could lose weight by reading. :D Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. I have to get up now and then to move around. I also have eye strain when I read for long periods.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I read on my elliptical--therefore reading is exercise. :)
But when I'm not on my elliptical, I don't consider reading a physical form of exercise because you only burn the low low low number of calories you burn while sitting down (same as watching tv).
Now if someone can figure out how to convert my mental activity into calorie burning activity, game on! I'd never worry about eating pastries again.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

No, unless you read in a room without a/c or electric fan here in the Philippines :D
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip&rsquo;s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

If I forget to eat when I'm reading, I lose a bit of weight. When the last four Harry Potter novels were coming out, I would sometimes spend several days glued to the book, constantly stretching and bouncing on the balls of my feet due to nervous energy, but not running to the kitchen for snacks.

I also hate getting food on books - library or personal - so I tend to not eat as I'm reading.
HENRY Tome

Post by HENRY Tome »

having reading to much you lose a bit of wait due to deep thinking

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”