Why do so many people join this forum and so few stay?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Re: Why do so many people join this forum and so few stay?

Post by Skillian »

Or learn how to sleep and eat and type... all at the same time. hmmmmmm
I love LOVE. <3
suzy1124
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by suzy1124 »

Superman!
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

It's a bird! It's a plane!
I love LOVE. <3
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Heeeheee

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

I am a new user and to be be honest, some times it is a little intimidating to post in the forums. Most of the time no one bothers to reply to me, and several times I have had my posts purposely skipped, with the next poster quoting the person right above me and responding to them and ignoring me. It gets a little annoying when you see a thread with 500 something replies, yet only one or two people even bother to respond with a generic "Welcome" to a new member thread. There also seems to be not as much about books, and a lot more random or community posts.
Somewhere out there is a world we never knew existed.

Languages never spoken.
Colors that should not be.
Lives never opened.
Eyes that never see.

And then the page is turned, a universe created.

We are gods.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

Wait, theres money involved! I joined because I love to read, I thought reviewing books would be fun, and I love discussing books and all things book related. If people dont stay Im sure there are a million individual reasons, but bottom line if they dont think their time is worth what they are getting in return they will leave. This is true of almost any situation. Me, I can wait to review, but I certainly value the conversations!
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

Batesblogger wrote:I am a new user and to be be honest, some times it is a little intimidating to post in the forums. Most of the time no one bothers to reply to me, and several times I have had my posts purposely skipped, with the next poster quoting the person right above me and responding to them and ignoring me. It gets a little annoying when you see a thread with 500 something replies, yet only one or two people even bother to respond with a generic "Welcome" to a new member thread. There also seems to be not as much about books, and a lot more random or community posts.

haha yeah I have that happen all of the time. It just happens... people get caught up in convo or sometimes posts fall too quickly and get missed as new posts push them too the bottom then the next page. I try to make sure to check the 'unanswered posts' link under the 'forum home' to see if there are any I missed checking out... but not everyone thinks about doing that. haha

-- 14 Dec 2014, 17:14 --
tlgabelman wrote:Wait, theres money involved! I joined because I love to read, I thought reviewing books would be fun, and I love discussing books and all things book related. If people dont stay Im sure there are a million individual reasons, but bottom line if they dont think their time is worth what they are getting in return they will leave. This is true of almost any situation. Me, I can wait to review, but I certainly value the conversations!

haha right? It's like an added bonus! Even just doing the reviews for fun... and a free book?! Yes please. Plus, there are a lot of cool people here too.
I love LOVE. <3
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Welcome here Batesblogger! sorry that happened to you!...please accept my apologies..

I feel badly about it!, i'll personally see that it doesn't happen again!, that's just not right !

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

To further respond to batesblogger: And sometimes.... people just don't know what else to say. I mean.... everything about us is here and stated. While I love talking about myself and all.... I'll be honest, unless someone says something that happens to peak my interest in their intro.... all I say is welcome. Doesn't mean it isn't a genuine welcome... just means hey welcome... and I hope to run into them on other threads. It gets tiresome having to write my life story to every new person in their intro thread. Intros are generally generic.. because well... they are just intros. The good stuff comes after diving in to the conversations. 8)

And yeah sometimes it can seem like nothing but off-topic threads..... but that is usually just because at that exact time there are a handful of people having some fun with each other on them (*cough* SUZY *cough*:p). The new posts... are simply that... new posts.... whoever is talking right now. They don't represent the site as a whole. I make sure to go to a more specific forum link when wanting more serious discussion. No biggie. And there isn't a lack of discussion there either.... the responses just wont be as instant as talking to people on the threads that are active within that same minute. ya know? haha

-- 15 Dec 2014, 02:02 --

oh! And once you post on a thread it is more likely to become active again. Especially if you post on it while a lot of others are active... then they will see it on the 'new posts' and will jump in with you. Don't be afraid to bring a post that has been dead for a while back to life. :D
I love LOVE. <3
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Batesblogger wrote:I am a new user and to be be honest, some times it is a little intimidating to post in the forums. Most of the time no one bothers to reply to me, and several times I have had my posts purposely skipped, with the next poster quoting the person right above me and responding to them and ignoring me. It gets a little annoying when you see a thread with 500 something replies, yet only one or two people even bother to respond with a generic "Welcome" to a new member thread. There also seems to be not as much about books, and a lot more random or community posts.
I responded to you. :wink:

Since there are so many new members joining in every day, one can't be more specific welcoming them. Most of them don't come back anyway.

Also, there are many threads about books and not just off topics ones.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

haha she is getting all the attention now! waaahhhn! I got skipped over by suzy and now gali! *pouts* hahaha
I love LOVE. <3
gali

Post by gali »

Skillian wrote:To further respond to batesblogger: And sometimes.... people just don't know what else to say. I mean.... everything about us is here and stated. While I love talking about myself and all.... I'll be honest, unless someone says something that happens to peak my interest in their intro.... all I say is welcome. Doesn't mean it isn't a genuine welcome... just means hey welcome... and I hope to run into them on other threads. It gets tiresome having to write my life story to every new person in their intro thread. Intros are generally generic.. because well... they are just intros. The good stuff comes after diving in to the conversations. 8)

And yeah sometimes it can seem like nothing but off-topic threads..... but that is usually just because at that exact time there are a handful of people having some fun with each other on them (*cough* SUZY *cough*:p). The new posts... are simply that... new posts.... whoever is talking right now. They don't represent the site as a whole. I make sure to go to a more specific forum link when wanting more serious discussion. No biggie. And there isn't a lack of discussion there either.... the responses just wont be as instant as talking to people on the threads that are active within that same minute. ya know? haha

-- 15 Dec 2014, 02:02 --

oh! And once you post on a thread it is more likely to become active again. Especially if you post on it while a lot of others are active... then they will see it on the 'new posts' and will jump in with you. Don't be afraid to bring a post that has been dead for a while back to life. :D
Ditto!

-- December 15th, 2014, 9:11 am --
Skillian wrote:haha she is getting all the attention now! waaahhhn! I got skipped over by suzy and now gali! *pouts* hahaha
I didn't skip you. :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

hehehehe yayyy. I got a gali wink and all. :D
I love LOVE. <3
gali

Post by gali »

Skillian wrote:hehehehe yayyy. I got a gali wink and all. :D
:D
A retired Admin/Mod

Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

I admit that the money allured me at first but right now I couldn't care less because I started enjoying the conversations and how friendly people are here.
Maybe someday I will try to join the Reviewers Team, but for now, not really. I'm also worried that my poor English might be a setback? :P
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”