Let me write your name in Japanese!

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Miri Faye
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17650">The Selection</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miri-faye.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Let me write your name in Japanese!

Post by Miri Faye »

I wish my computer typed in Japanese! I think you're doing a wonderful job translating everyone's names into Katakana. In Kanji my Japanese name, Miya, means Beautiful Jesus

You don't have to answer this, if it's too personal, but where in Japan do you live? I've visited with my family four times, and we've traveled a fair amount in kita (North) Kyushu, and I've been to Honshu too. :)
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

How about Ashley?

I'm leaving Japan at the end of the week after being here for a few months. I'm glad I had the chance to come and it's been fun but I'm pretty excited to get back to the states.
gracepine11
Favorite Author: Kate DiCamillo
Favorite Book: Flora and Ulysess
Currently Reading: Carry On, Mr. Bowditch
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracepine11.html
fav_author_id: 3660

Post by gracepine11 »

I can write in Japanese but this stupid computer can't.
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes." Mazer Rackham from the book Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

ashley_claire wrote:How about Ashley?

I'm leaving Japan at the end of the week after being here for a few months. I'm glad I had the chance to come and it's been fun but I'm pretty excited to get back to the states.
Ashley is アシュリー。

I have to use my phone to type the Japanese! My computer is from America and I could never figure out how to set up the keyboard for Japanese.
Miri Faye wrote:You don't have to answer this, if it's too personal, but where in Japan do you live? I've visited with my family four times, and we've traveled a fair amount in kita (North) Kyushu, and I've been to Honshu too.
I used to live in Yamaguchi!!! I would go to Kita Kyushu all the time because there was nothing to do in Yamaguchi! But now I live in Kanagawa near Tokyo.
Miri Faye
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17650">The Selection</a>

Post by Miri Faye »

Cool! I've been to Tokyo and Tokyo Disneyland and Sea.
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Post by mui-scrimp »

Hmm... I think my name is ムイ。It kinda reminds me of むし. As in, little bugs... (sorry, don't know the kanji. my Japanese is pretty rudimentary.)
There are weapons you cannot hold in your hands. You can only hold them in your mind.
-Brian Herbert
Miri Faye

Post by Miri Faye »

I know my japanese hame is 美耶, but as for Miri Faye, what would you use? Is ミーリ フェーい close enough?

Oh, むし in kanji is 虫
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Post by mui-scrimp »

Miri Faye wrote:I know my japanese hame is 美耶, but as for Miri Faye, what would you use? Is ミーリ フェーい close enough?

Oh, むし in kanji is 虫
Oh, thanks!
There are weapons you cannot hold in your hands. You can only hold them in your mind.
-Brian Herbert
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Miri Faye wrote:I know my japanese hame is 美耶, but as for Miri Faye, what would you use? Is ミーリ フェーい close enough?

Oh, むし in kanji is 虫
I probably wouldn't even bother with the long vowels. I would just write ミリ フェイ。Of course, since you have kanji, you could always get away with using hiragana as well. 8)
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

ALynnPowers wrote:I have to use my phone to type the Japanese! My computer is from America and I could never figure out how to set up the keyboard for Japanese.
This is actually quite easy to do. If you are using a windows-based computer, Japanese is already there. You just have to "turn it on."

Go to the control panel, and find something that says "language" or "change keyboards." (Depending on which version of Windows you have, this will vary a little.) In the box that appears, find a tab that says "language" or "keyboard" or something that says "change keyboard." Click "Add" and in the drop-down list select the language you want to add. (You may have to click "+" until you get to something you can select.) Check the box you want, and click "OK." It's now added!

To toggle between keyboards, simply press "Shift " + "Alt." You'll see the active language on the task bar at the bottom of your screen. (You can also click on this to change the language.)

Now, here is something cool. There is an "on screen keyboard" that allows you to type using your mouse (since the Japanese characters are not on your physical keyboard). To find it, just go to Start (bottom left, the big "Windows" icon) and in the search field type "on screen keyboard." (When you change languages and click on the keyboard, the language will automatically change.)

Sorry if this sounds confusing, it's actually pretty simple. Again, depending on your version of Windows, it may be a little different. But they're all similar enough that this should get you there.

If you're a Mac user, sorry. I'm sure you can do the same thing, but I don't know how.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 »

Hey ALynn can translate mine please? Amanda :)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

mmandy38 wrote:Hey ALynn can translate mine please? Amanda :)
You're pretty simple:

アマンダ

8)

-- 26 Mar 2015, 00:16 --
PashaRu wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote:I have to use my phone to type the Japanese! My computer is from America and I could never figure out how to set up the keyboard for Japanese.
This is actually quite easy to do. If you are using a windows-based computer, Japanese is already there. You just have to "turn it on."

Go to the control panel, and find something that says "language" or "change keyboards." (Depending on which version of Windows you have, this will vary a little.) In the box that appears, find a tab that says "language" or "keyboard" or something that says "change keyboard." Click "Add" and in the drop-down list select the language you want to add. (You may have to click "+" until you get to something you can select.) Check the box you want, and click "OK." It's now added!

To toggle between keyboards, simply press "Shift " + "Alt." You'll see the active language on the task bar at the bottom of your screen. (You can also click on this to change the language.)

Now, here is something cool. There is an "on screen keyboard" that allows you to type using your mouse (since the Japanese characters are not on your physical keyboard). To find it, just go to Start (bottom left, the big "Windows" icon) and in the search field type "on screen keyboard." (When you change languages and click on the keyboard, the language will automatically change.)

Sorry if this sounds confusing, it's actually pretty simple. Again, depending on your version of Windows, it may be a little different. But they're all similar enough that this should get you there.

If you're a Mac user, sorry. I'm sure you can do the same thing, but I don't know how.
Actually.... I had already done all of this, and I had to Hide the thing because whatever "Japanese" that is installed on my computer/windows/whatever is HORRIBLE. You see, Japanese has something like, 3 written systems in addition to the Roman alphabet. And when I attempt to use that keyboard, it shows only half-sized katakana, which is the system used the least (though oddly, the one I use the most in this thread! Ha!). The half-size makes it hard to read, plus the characters seem to be randomly placed around the keyboard, making it almost impossible to find the one I want (I am exaggerating here). It's just faster for me to type it directly on my phone. Or use Google Translate. 8)
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

ALynnPowers wrote:Actually.... I had already done all of this, and I had to Hide the thing because whatever "Japanese" that is installed on my computer/windows/whatever is HORRIBLE. You see, Japanese has something like, 3 written systems in addition to the Roman alphabet. And when I attempt to use that keyboard, it shows only half-sized katakana, which is the system used the least (though oddly, the one I use the most in this thread! Ha!). The half-size makes it hard to read, plus the characters seem to be randomly placed around the keyboard, making it almost impossible to find the one I want (I am exaggerating here). It's just faster for me to type it directly on my phone. Or use Google Translate. 8)
Haha, okay, well, at least you know about it. And here I thought I was being helpful. :oops: :doh:
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

PashaRu wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote:Actually.... I had already done all of this, and I had to Hide the thing because whatever "Japanese" that is installed on my computer/windows/whatever is HORRIBLE. You see, Japanese has something like, 3 written systems in addition to the Roman alphabet. And when I attempt to use that keyboard, it shows only half-sized katakana, which is the system used the least (though oddly, the one I use the most in this thread! Ha!). The half-size makes it hard to read, plus the characters seem to be randomly placed around the keyboard, making it almost impossible to find the one I want (I am exaggerating here). It's just faster for me to type it directly on my phone. Or use Google Translate. 8)
Haha, okay, well, at least you know about it. And here I thought I was being helpful. :oops: :doh:
You were as helpful as your could be. It's my psycho computer that is not very helpful.
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

All computers are psycho. It's become the bane of our existence.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”