Free will in machines

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Free will in machines

Post by Alexandros92 »

Recently, I came across some studies stating that free will does not exist. That is to say, the Ego always lives in the past. Your inner self takes decisions independently of what you think you decide. Lisa Barett, in her book on human emotion, stated "it is scientifically possible, under the right circumstances, to know what a person is going to choose one second before they think they actually decided that".

Under those circumstances, and combined with other books I have read, is there really a difference between a human and an advanced A.I. robot if free will does not really exist :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

I've read those studies too, they raise a lot of questions for sure. But the question would be, 'what made the person decide what they did?'. We know what choice it will be, but how did they come to that decision?

Lab experiments have induced religious experiences, feelings of the presence of God. So if it can be induced in the lab, what causes it outside of the lab?
God? The environment interacting with biology?
Alexandros92 wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 10:31 Under those circumstances, and combined with other books I have read, is there really a difference between a human and an advanced A.I. robot if free will does not really exist :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
I suppose the only difference would be if a human is being controlled for specific outcomes by a programmer or if our 'free will' is the result of biology, environment, and timing.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I find some scientific experiments delusional. Realistically speaking, humans are far more intelligent than machines. Why? Because they are the ones who make those machines. Personally, I can't compare machines with humans.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”