Hobbies

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
saracen77
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by saracen77 »

I like to walk, camp, and the odd bit of rock climbing. The enormous dog helps keep me motivated to walk.

Indoors I like to cross stitch, hook rugs, watch films (sadly I mostly wait for the DVD's, cinema is too expensive these days) and of course, read and write!
Pappy

Post by Pappy »

I used to love going to the movies when I lived in Florida. I was in college so it wasn't out of the ordinary to go on opening day, but at the 9:30 showing or whenever it was being played in the morning while everyone was either at work or school.

When I moved to Georgia I went to see Harry Potter 4 and was so disappointed in the parents who brought their tiny kids to see the movie that I promised myself never to go to a theater in Georgia again. I broke that promise but for Dan In Real Life which didn't really have a strong draw for children.

Those poor kids were crying their eyes out terrified beyond anything else and their parents were so glued to the screen they were just sushing them while their kids wept. I hung around the exit afterwards and heard a great many people coming out saying "I can't believe it was so graphic!" So I made another promise that if I ever have kids I'd try to read the books they want to see the movies of or AT LEAST read the rating sliver at the bottom of the poster describing why it was given the rating it was.
saracen77

Post by saracen77 »

Yep, my I saw all the Potters at the cinema (I save, and don't buy popcorn...)but wouldn't take the kids in case they had a bad reaction to it. I knew what was in all those films, and certainly wouldn't have wanted the kids to be in a place where it was unfeasible to take them out of that situation.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

That gets up my goat too, when people take little kids to cinemas for entirely inappropriate movies! Or they take them to late night sessions where they're tired and grumpy and noisy. Take 'em to a daytime session or early evening or weekend. Stop being so selfish to your kids!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

xbox360gurl70s

Post by xbox360gurl70s »

what about the kids at heart? hehe anyways yes, kids do deserve a break sometime and not be force to what we grown ups always want like those "we know best" "we are older" "respect your elders" crap. occasionally give them a sense of adventure or rebelliousness to stop arousing their curiosity
Pappy

Post by Pappy »

The thing is that I do know what's better for my daughter than she does. And I know that some of the scenes in Harry Potter 4 were more graphic than most modern horror movies (mainly being that a lot of modern horror movies dull the violence to accomplish a PG13 rating) and I refuse to let my daughter watch it until she's mentally ready for it. Letting her see it before that would make me an irresponsible parent.

And even if I did let her see it before she was ready, when she would sit there quietly weeping because she's gone far past overload, I'd leave the theater with her instead of just shushing her because I just have to see how it all turns out.

Let her be rebellious in other areas.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Pappy, there should be more parents like you!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Pappy

Post by Pappy »

Thank you!
angeleyes

Post by angeleyes »

Other than reading, favorite hobby is swimming in
pool, and some tennis :)
awelker

Post by awelker »

Pappy i seriously wish there were more parents like you.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
shokosugi

Post by shokosugi »

other than read...

jogging, watching movies/tv, basketball, programming, web surfing, participating in forums, video games, poker.
development

Post by development »

My hobbies include-internet, my dog, hiking, biking and mushroom hunting to name a few.
LesFex

Post by LesFex »

Even I do the same things. I am very much interested in painting. But I don't have much time to improve my painting. I found a website that has helped me (so far) with organizing my hobbies and painting schedule. Check out TabUp (http://www.tabup.com).
jv08

Post by jv08 »

Some of my hobbies are blogging, watching movies in DVD. I also like cooking.
sharon.gmc

Post by sharon.gmc »

Since I spend my working time with the computer, when I have spare time, I want to be with people. I like laughing with family and friends, exchanging stories, playing with my little nieces, exploring new places with my friends. . . .

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”