Misinformation: How do you ensure that the news you read is genuine or fake?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Raju Chacko
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-chacko.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Misinformation: How do you ensure that the news you read is genuine or fake?

Post by Raju Chacko »

How do you satisfy yourself that the news you read/hear is true? Often times, we need to use information sources available to us to verify, validate or increase our knowledge of somebody or something. And the Internet is undeniably one of the most important places where we search for it. So far so good. But this being the age of misinformation, how do you make out whether something you recently read on a website or in a message forwarded to you on WhatsApp, is genuine or fake? Of course, sites like Wikipedia that are monitored and controlled can be trusted most of the time, but what about others?

At the first level are sites with misspelled names and look-alikes. We can filter them out if we are careful. But what if the news that appears genuine, is, in fact, being engineered by repeating something untrue, over and over and through as many sources as possible? According to a book I recently read, a strategy was promoted in Germany in the 1930s " ... that suggests if you repeat untruth often enough, from as many sources as possible, it will become believed and you can use it to create deep feelings of hatred and discontent."

So, what if a set of reputed news sites (that collude or have the same owner) employ the above strategy? If, for example, news sites X, Y,&Z, all owned by owner ABC, report an event (that didn't actually happen) as having happened and then keep repeating it periodically for (say) a month (including, thru Social Media), how will you unearth the real truth?

Are fact-checking sites like Snopes and Politifact sufficient for all your needs or do you use other tools/methods? Please share your knowledge for the benefit of all of us in the OBC community.
The highest purpose of art is to inspire. What else can you do? What else can you do for anyone but inspire them? -Bob Dylan
innocentdemand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innocentdemand.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by innocentdemand »

A lot of people will knock social media for being ripe with misinformation, but on the same hand you've got people who use those sites to spread fully-sourced, factual information against the spread of disinfo. I've found some great things through social media, and of course I always double check to make sure it's accurate.

One of your examples is a set of sites all owned under one corporation - I think one thing to do would be to check other sources that aren't under that owner's umbrella, and the more independently sourced places you can find, the better. Independently owned or smaller news sources can be great for finding factual information because they aren't beholden to influence from any higher-up commands, but that also means they can be more difficult to vet for.
sugar coating is for desserts.
Raju Chacko
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-chacko.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Raju Chacko »

Thank you. Your reply is useful.
The highest purpose of art is to inspire. What else can you do? What else can you do for anyone but inspire them? -Bob Dylan
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Different sources are a key to any checkup. I read sources in Italian and English, which means sources from different nations that can offer various points of view to understand if a news is fake.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

I always look everything up, and I make sure that I use reliable sources or that many sources are advocating for the same thing. I try to fact check everything, specially if I read it off social media, because I don't want to spread any wrong information.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”