Did Margo Succeed?

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
DeeMariaR
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deemariar.html

Re: Did Margo Succeed?

Post by DeeMariaR »

I think Margo feels like she succeeded but it was all for nothing because the Q from the 4th grade isn't the Q of "now". So she changed him into someone she wanted him to be and still didn't want to be with him.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

amybo82 wrote:I don't know that she made Q braver and freer. She definitely made him a little crazy. But to me, it seems that she just caused Q to move from being trapped in one way to being trapped in her web. He got so caught up in her that he ignored all the other things in his life--friends, prom, graduation, parents. I think I was really annoyed at how selfish Margo was in the end. However, I did like the mystery and the trying to figure things out. But to answer your question, I think Margo thinks she succeeded, but as the reader, I don't think she succeeded.

I agree that he went from being "trapped" in one way to being trapped in her web. However, by the very end when he knows that they will go on in different directions, I think he is free. I think a great part of this is due to the poem he read so carefully, though, and not 100% because of Margo taking him on her joyride around town. Also, I think it is very presumptuous of her to try to "fix" him in the first place; who is to say that there was anything wrong with his personality in the beginning? And she assumed that only way he could be "fixed" was by taking him out of his bed and making him do these illegal activities with her at night. She was manipulative and selfish, in my opinion, but she did ultimately achieve her goal (as callous as her goal might have been).
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Margo obviously succeeded. At first, Q was still very timid, but as the story advanced he took more and more risks and adventures to find her.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I believe that Margo did definitely achieve her goal but in a negative light. She definitely took advantage of Q to achieve her revenge, and while it made him more confident, it was only out of fear and adrenaline. I don´t think she did it out of malice, but it just turned out that it was pure manipulation.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
courtneylmata84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtneylmata84.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by courtneylmata84 »

I would have to say she did succeed. While he may have ignored other things in his life getting wrapped up in her web, he also changed. He grew and came out of his shell.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I think from the onset it was stated that Margo had a selfish trait to her. So yeah, Quentin become kinda obsessed with her but in doing so did so much other things he wouldn't have done ordinarily and discovered a whole lot more about himself. He was too closeted and comfortable in his life - Margo inspired him to go on a road trip with his friends, leave his zone and try something new.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

He was. Look at the ending, when she rejects him. I think the pre-revenge-road-trip Quentin would have been devastated. Destroyed. He does feel this, to an extent, but he's accepting of it and in a way better for it.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

While Q's journey with Margo on 'revenge night' kick started the process, his change in character was not just about that night and that night was the only thing Margo planned for Q.
I believe that the experiences he had on his quest for Margo developed his character in ways Margo never predicted and so I can't say 'she' suceeded.
But I must admit the whole thing would not have happened if not for Q's obsession with Margo.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I would say that Margo succeeded. He went searching for her, which was probably the scariest thing he could have done. It was something different and out of his comfort zone, and definitely something that would get him into trouble. He did it anyway though in an attempt to find her, even if she didn't actually want to be found. It was still an adventure for him that he will always remember.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

In a way, Margot did change Quentin, making him a bit more free-minded and less shy. He started taking more risk because of her and he became braver.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Krishi Shah »

I think she did. But I'm glad that Q understood that they weren't meant to be and began to focus on himself.
Khasheem
Currently Reading: Prince of Fools
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khasheem.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Khasheem »

Margo did succeed in making Quinn take risks and in his search for her, he became a different person. Because of Margo, I think he wasn't able to enjoy things he wanted, and he even skipped his graduation ceremony because of her, which is terrible because it was important to him before he got entangled with Margo.
Ruba Sabban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-sabban.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ruba Sabban »

I definitely think she succeeded at least in breaking him out of his shell
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

Yes she did succeed. She made quinten crazy and Adventurous. She made him take risks and step out of comfort zones.

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”