Overall Rating and Opinion of "Paper Towns"

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.

How do you rate Paper Towns?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
3%
2 stars - fair, okay
16%
3 stars - good, recommend it
53%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
27%

Total votes: 91

hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Paper Towns"

Post by hannahbm13 »

I absolutely loved this story and all of it's elements. John Green is one of my favorite authors and he has never failed to inspire me. His works are all astoundingly fresh and beautiful. I would recommend this to anybody.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I personally wasn't a fan of Paper Towns. Some of the characters' lack of dimensionality drove me crazy. I did however like the quirky plot and witty lines, but it didn't have enough depth to the plot to keep my interest. I'd probably rate this 2 out of 4 stars.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
t-staz
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-staz.html

Post by t-staz »

I personally thought it was boring and the ending really angered me. It was way too predictable in my opinion, compared to other John Green novels, and I felt as though something more wouldv'e happened at the end then what did. I love John Green but Paper Towns was by far my least favorite:(
BookLover117
Currently Reading: Luckiest Girl Alive
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover117.html

Post by BookLover117 »

Am I the only one who didn't enjoy this book? It made me feel almost nothing. I would give it a rating of 2 out of 4 because I know that others might enjoy it. I know that many compare this book to Looking for Alaska but I literally fell in love with Looking for Alaska. While there are some similarities, Looking for Alaska made me think a lot about life, while Paper Towns was a struggle to finish. Margo and Quentin were both mildly annoying.
AlishaKennedy
Currently Reading: Frankenstein
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alishakennedy.html
Latest Review: "Campaigns Against the Olden" by Anna Faktorovich

Post by AlishaKennedy »

I loved Paper Towns. I would rate it a 4 out of 4. The plot was well planned out and always kept me wanting to read more. (I finished the book in two days). The characters had a lot of personality and I liked the message the book was portraying. John Green did a great job, once again.
Latest Review: "Campaigns Against the Olden" by Anna Faktorovich
98jazzy98
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Currently Reading: Invisible Man
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-98jazzy98.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by 98jazzy98 »

I have read The Fault in Our Stars and I loved it immensely. I then proceeded to read Looking for Alaska. I hated it with a passion, but I wasn't going to judge John Green by having one bad book, everyone makes mistakes, right? Then, I picked up Paper Towns, and was immensely disappointed. I couldn't even finish the book, so I guess it may not be fair that I'm writing a review. Of course, not that I needed to read to the end, with how predictable to whole plot is. Basically, this book is about a "love-struck" teenage boy who goes on a wild goose chase to find the girl that he "loves". I put those in parenthesis because he hasn't really interacted with this girl since they were five or something, so I don't think it's love. Infatuation and lust? Possibly. Then, there's Margo. The only words I can think of to describe her are selfish and meretricious.

I guess his writing may be an acquired taste. With that being said, I did love The Fault in Our Stars, as mentioned above, and I hope he decides to put out another book of such quality.
Supcoolfofa01
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supcoolfofa01.html
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Supcoolfofa01 »

I haven't read this and I'm not sure if I want to. It's just that the description makes it seem boring. I guess I want to know, is it worth reading?
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
arayimassuoh
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arayimassuoh.html

Post by arayimassuoh »

I loved the book! It's one of those books that make you feel the feeling of the characters. I felt like I was one the journey to find Margo. I love the overall story to it and the writing is excellent. It has allot of funny parts too, which was great! I'd definitely recommend this book to EVERYONE!
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

I found this book as I enjoyed reading the Fault in our Stars and wanted to see what else this author had put out. This novel seemed like a 180 flip from his last, so I wouldn’t necessarily recommend Fault in our Stars after reading this or vice versa by recommending this novel if you enjoyed his first. They are two completely different works of literature. In my opinion this was a pretty slow and dry book as facts and events kept spilling out, but it help an awkward fluidity to me. I did enjoy the plot as it built up steam and formed into an intriguing journey, but again at the end was unexpected and cut me at the knees. It felt like an abrupt halt and it didn’t follow the plot line that most others in this genre do. The author wasn’t afraid to make people uncomfortable with the ending and not have a happily ever after. It is an easy read and constantly builds and holds your attention so I would recommend this book to others that like a little suspension and a dash or drama and romance. I would give this three stars.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Stammydodger
Currently Reading: Frankenstein
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stammydodger.html

Post by Stammydodger »

I would give 'Paper Towns' 4 stars - I love John Green books, and this is one of my favourites by him. Mainly because you don't know what to expect. Margo was the first character I experienced who fits into a standard stereotype but completely shatters it by the end. *spoiler*.....the whole point is to show that nobody understood her and everyone had a different idea or version of Margo, so whereas some people say that she is awful and feel sorry for Q, I feel the opposite; Q didn't know the real Margo and was in love with what he'd made her to be in his head. The ending was perfect.
readerfor1
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by readerfor1 »

I honestly just cannot get through this book. I generally enjoy John Green, but have definitely had trouble with some of his books before. In my opinion, there are long parts of the story that just drag on with either no plot contribution, or so much other stuff so as to completely overshadow anything interesting in the plot. In the case of this story, most of the other stuff is this teenage attempt at profundity and philosophy, and instead sounds at best overly wordy and sometimes boring, and at worst pretentious.
baasil999
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baasil999.html

Post by baasil999 »

So I would like to read this, When am I supposed to get it?
Plz reply fast.
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

baasil999 wrote:So I would like to read this, When am I supposed to get it?
Plz reply fast.
I think this book of the month has already passed, but you should definitely still read it, it's a good book! :)
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

baasil999 wrote:So I would like to read this, When am I supposed to get it?
Plz reply fast.
Library or Amazon. :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Mrsmarria34
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsmarria34.html

Post by Mrsmarria34 »

I really enjoyed reading this. Im a mother of 5 children and my 14 year old.daughter also enjoyed this.

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”