Memento Mori, a sci-fi short story.

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Artifacs
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 5

Memento Mori, a sci-fi short story.

Post by Artifacs »

"Memento Mori" a Sci-Fi short Story

G hated his job. He didn't even try to hide this fact as he aswered the old woman for the fourth time.

-"Yes, ma'am. You'll die along with the whole damm universe. What is it so hard for you to understand? You want it?, you sign it and let's call it a day and I can storm back to my hole because we're closing right now."

The old woman, looked at the shiny display on G's desk and then looked at G with a frown. G looked back at her and lifted a finger pointing at the LED clock over his head.

-" Four seconds, three, two...", said G.

-"All right, dammit!. Where do I sign up?", the old woman said, lifting her hands in annoyance.

G handed the woman the Memento Mori Agency single page contract and pointed at the bottom right corner.

-"Here, ma'am, below the words The Traveler.", said G

The woman took her pen and signed the paper very slowly.

-"You said I'll be launched tomorrow?", she said, focused in her writing.

G rolled up his eyes and took a deep breath.

-"Again, we put you in a hell of a rocket and shoot that thing to the damm Raley Port Station. Then you enter the traveller pod that will go to the damm black hole with all the others damm traveller pods. Have you finished?", G took the paper from the woman's hands and tried to read the signature.

The woman took the paper back annoyed.

-"I'm not done yet!"

-"Ok, ok. Take your time. Once you're up there you'll have a week of food and water and air and stuff but you won't actually last that much."

-"Yeah, I know", said the woman admiring her work. "That's it".

G took the paper and lifted against the vertical scanner screen over beside his desk.

-"And don't touch anything. Those time controls are hard to understand. If you get too close to the black hole things will start to go faster and faster and you might miss the end of the cosmos. We don't want that, right?", said G staring at her as she was a little girl.

The scanner came to live and registered the contract.

-"Good.", G stood up and took a deep breath.

-" What now?", the woman stood up too.

-"Now? Now you are.. mmm.. officially ... mmm...a Traveller from the Memento Mori Agency. Welcome old lady to the end of the Universe"
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I really liked this story. I hope you write more short stories! I would love to read more.
Artifacs

Post by Artifacs »

Thanks jillpillbooknerd, I wrote it as it came to me, that's why there's a lot of typos. I hope I'll write some more too.
Thanks again, cheers. :)
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I like this. Are you going to continue this story, or build this world? But you then again I like having questions. This is definitely a cool interaction that you wrote :)
Artifacs

Post by Artifacs »

I'm glad you like it, Sakulimamermaid. I didn't think of developing the world but I guess it might be funny to know some more about G or the Agency or even Travelers in their pods swirling around artificial manmade blackholes in several solar systems. Maybe I should give it a second thought and write more about it.
Thanks for the suggestion. Cheers.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”