The Villain is Hotter than the Hero

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Anastasia Atkinson
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

The Villain is Hotter than the Hero

Post by Anastasia Atkinson »

I wanted to start getting in a habit of writing so I thought of doing a writing prompt a day. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I hope you enjoy the little short story.

Writing Prompt
In a superhero-supervillain story, you’re the hero’s love interest, and as such, in classic use-their-loved-ones-against-them fashion, the villain keeps kidnapping you as leverage against the hero. However, an unfortunate complication has arisen; having spent so much time with the villain, you begin to realize that you’re falling in love with them.

A few snaps of a finger in front of my face pulled me out of my thoughts. Cobra smirked at me as he placed his hand underneath my chin, lightly pulling my head up.

“What are you thinking about, love?”

He always called me love, and it frustrated me. So, of course, in the spirit of being a supervillain, he would find any moment to use the pet name.

“I do hope it’s about me.” He teased, letting go of my chin and grazing his hand down towards my neck. His eyes followed his fingers as he whispered, “I wouldn’t have to tie you up like this if you would behave.”

He’s not wrong. I have a history of ‘ruining the fun’ by running away. Currently, I was tied down to a chair: my wrists bound to each of the arms and my ankles tied to the two front legs. He stood up, realizing I wasn’t going to talk.

“Your silence wounds me, love. Won’t you speak to me? Or am I too alluring to you that you’ve become mute?”

Him and his sweet-talking. Him and his sweet-sounding voice. Him… What am I thinking?

He was always careful to never hurt me until Micah, my boyfriend, and resident superhero, showed up.

Doesn’t he know it would anger Micah more if he did this type of thing around him?

Cobra smirked and chuckled lightly. It was only then I realized I had begun mumbling my thoughts.

“That’s quite an interesting inquiry. Maybe I will take your lovely suggestion… or maybe I will go above and beyond and steal a kiss right in front of your beloved.” He smirks, stepping closer to run his thumb over my lips.

“I would like to know how you might taste.”

His smirk softens into an expression I can’t read.

Why is he making such a confusing face?

I move my head, pulling away from his caressing thumb.

“You won’t get to taste me without losing your tongue.” I glare into his eyes defiantly, annoyed by his intimate touch.

He sighs, dropping his hand and walking away from me to his desk, mumbling something too quiet for me to hear. I watch him pull out his computer and turn it on.

Same old process. All that needed to be done was turn on the computer. And boom! Superhero boyfriend to the rescue!

Cobra approaches me, cupping my chin again, and pulls me close, looking deep into my eyes with another unreadable expression.

He always treats me so nicely. Why? My eyes widened as I realized what his expression was: Love. Was that his reason for taking me all the time? Is he really that bad?

He glanced down at my lips, his eyes slightly hazy. I lean in subconsciously, and he returns the movement, our lips meeting. I let my eyes flutter closed as I leaned into the kiss while his other hand weaved into my hair, pulling me closer.

The loud shattering of glass pulled us both away from the moment. Cobra’s head whipped towards the sound as I sat in shock, my head dropping as I reflected on the past few moments.

“Quiver?” I snap into focus again, looking over at Micah as Cobra roared his name in surprise.

Micah glared at Cobra. “Cobra…”

Cobra grimaced as Micah’s eyes bore holes into him.

“You really think you are allowed to touch her in such a vulgar way?”

Aiming his bow at Cobra, he drew back the string, arrow poised to shoot.

“Oh… You mean–” Cobra moves back to me and pulls me in for another kiss. It was rougher and quicker than the first one. Once he breaks it, he turns to Micah, boldly smirking.

“–You mean like that? Why I thought that was a show of passion! I would never be ‘vulgar’ with such a lovely lady.”

“You… You bastard!” Quiver lets the arrow fly, grazing Cobra’s cheek and whisked past my cheek, cutting a small piece of my hair.

Did he really just shoot at me, or is he just too mad to aim correctly?

Cobra used the arrow to quickly cut the ropes before picking me up bridal style, forcing me to wrap my arms around his neck. He smirked at Micah before running to leap out the window onto the building top nearby.

“By the way, the name’s Tobias, dear. I hate it when you call me Cobra. So formal…”

He smiles slightly at me, and I tighten my grip as I turn my head to see Micah keeping up, shooting another arrow. It grazed my cheek, leaving a stinging feeling.

“Damn Hero Association. They let anyone in.” I looked up at him as he grimaced.

“Tobias?” His eyes light up as he looks down at me, smiling softly.
“My name sounds so lovely on your tongue, my love.”

I felt my stomach butterflies flutter at his words.

Micah never paid much attention to me. But Tobias…

“Now, hold on tight. I’ve got you.”

I quickly hugged him tighter.

“Trust me, love.”

To my surprise, he jumps off the building before teleporting during the fall.

When we landed, he set me down lightly before brushing his knuckles over the cut on my cheek.

“We need to get you cleaned up.”

I rest my palm under his cut and smile sadly.

“You have wounds too...”

He smiles at me and pulls me in for another kiss, and I smile into it.

I guess I’ve fallen for him too…
Books and stories provide wonderful knowledge and lessons, but I must agree with my father that experience garners wisdom.
~Janet McNulty, excerpt from Solaris Seethes

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”