My Rock

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
gayscott
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayscott.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

My Rock

Post by gayscott »

I see the shadowed mountains around me. I see the intricately rolling hills. I see the green valleys, the budding trees, and the small delicate flowers. Then, I see it! The rock on the ground which makes a simple place to rest a weary soul. The rock seems quite majestic but peaceful. Then, I hear it! I hear the still small voice saying, "Come.....sit with me".

So here I am again Lord sitting on a rock trying to escape and calm my weary soul, even if for only a few moments in time. You know I've been here before...in fact many times before. Not on this particular rock but another similar rock on different occasions and times.

Why always on a rock I wonder....it's really not that comfortable. Could it be because the rock is strong and unmoving. Or could it possibly be because the rock is stable and secure. Maybe It's because it's always there and provides me a place to rest when I'm weary. Hmmmm...you know God that sounds just like you.

You are my rock. When my life has been chaotic, scary, or disheveled, You've always been there to help me find a way. When I've not known what to do or who to turn to, You've always been there. You always listen and show me in your precious Word what to do so I'll feel secure and safe. When no one else is there, You are always with me. You provide stability. When I feel like I just cant handle it any more, You provide me rest or a way to escape. God, You are my rock!

I guess that's why it's fitting for me to be sitting here now. It's not that we don't talk often because we do. You're my friend...my best friend! Now, just like I've had to do in the past God, I need to disentangle myself from life so I can step back and focus on You.

Yes God, I know I've been here before and I've learned many things. I haven't forgotten. I remember very well the first time . I was just a young girl bewildered by all that was going on around me......the fighting, the yelling, the locked doors, the guns, and the insecurities. Yes, I do remember worrying about the lack of money and food; but what I remember most is my little, black, zippered bible and my sanctuary on the hillside.

My rock...my place to escape! What a precious and welcoming place. While I was resting there, I could look down the valley and see all the anguish, pain, and turmoil going on at home but it didn't effect me here God. Not when I was with You because You would somehow wrap Your loving arms around me and give me the peace and the strength I needed to endure. You taught me many things then God; and yes, I've returned to those precious Words many times.

Maybe, that's why I'm here again, Lord. Maybe I need to go back and remember those simple, but much needed beliefs You taught me then. Those simple but meaningful verses helped to calm my fears and quieten my anxieties so, I know it will do the same now. Your Word never changes. It's steadfast and unwavering. It speaks of the past and the future. It provides hope and guidance. Your Word will calm my weary mind and fill my heart with peace again.

I know You tell me not to worry, God. Your Word tells me to give all my worries to you because You care for me (1 Peter 5:7).You even tell me not to worry about what I'm going to eat, drink, or wear, Lord (Matt. 6: 25-32). I know You will protect and provide for me because You are my Shepherd. Yes, I know I shouldn't be afraid...no matter what happens. You are always with me even through the difficult times, Lord. I also know that when I leave this troubled world, You will be with me. I'm so happy You have a place for me in Your home in heaven. (Ps. 23) .

I have this assurance because I am Yours. You are my Father ( 2 Cor. 6: 18). You entered my heart many years ago at an old fashioned altar in a little white Church on a hill. I was saved....I was reborn(Romans 10: 9-10). I know You have me under Your wings (Ps 91:4), protecting me. You've done it before, God; and I know You will do it again.

Sometimes I've even asked why. Why did You send Your Son, Jesus, to die for me? I'm not worthy; I've done nothing great. I'm just a nobody that receives many more blessings than she deserves. Then in that still, small voice, You answered, "Because you're My child and I love you". As tears flowed down my cheeks, I humbly whispered, "Thank You, Father. Thank You for showing me what sacrificial love is. Thank You for showing me what real love from.a father is and thank You for all the many blessings You have given me".

You've given me a caring, loving, Christian husband who works hard to provide and care for his family. I couldn't imagine my life without him, Father. Then, there's my girls......what a joy they've been to me. They light up my life with love and such sweet, precious memories we have had as a family. Thank you for allowing me the blessing of seeing of seeing our little family grow. I could go on and on about all the blessings You've given me through my family, Father. I've never deserved these blessings,but You just keep giving simply because You love me.

Now I'm not the young girl sitting on the rock talking to you. I'm much older, but it doesn't mean I need You any less. You have always been there for me, God. You know You're my best friend. I can talk to You about anything and I know You will understand. In fact, You want me to talk to You about everything...the good and the bad. Sometimes You are the only one that understands. I know this ,Father because Your word tells me that you experienced everything this world has to throw at you when You were here on earth, so I know You understand. When things of this world really beat me down , I just want to get away to my rock......to You!

This is one of those times,God. I need this time on the rock with You. I need You. My family needs You. My county needs You. My country needs You. God, the whole world needs You. There are so many troubling things invading my mind...trying to take over..trying to cause anxiety and stress......trying to take my eyes off You. That's why I'm here,God. I need to sit and focus on You. I know You are in control and You know all the things that are going on but sometimes I just need get away and unwind from the world. I need my rock...I need You. I need to rest once again in Your presence.

I've been buried in troubles and trials before, I know. With Your help, I made it through and I know I will this time too. You are right here with me ,God, guiding and protecting . You make a way when there seems not to be one. I know You will never leave me or forsake me, and yes, I know You will not give me more than I can bear. After all, You are the one who gives me strength. I could do nothing without You and I do need You Father ....every day...every hour. Sometimes life gets hard. I also know that all things work together for good for those that love You. I'm not coming to You now because I doubt You, God. It's just the opposite.

I'm here at my rock again Father because I believe You. I am here because I know You died for me. I'm so sorry but yet so thankful because I know one day You are going to burst forth from heaven with a shout and call Your children home. Praise God! I can say I am one of Your children and I'll get to spend eternity with You in heaven. Thank you Father and thank You for my rock that's immovable, and has always provided me safety, protection, and strength. I pray that people find this in their own lives, Father because my life would be nothing without You. You were there when no one else was. Thank you and I love you.

Psalm 18:2 NLT The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.
I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me. :reading-6: :reading-6: :angelic-cyan:
BlueJay + XYZ02
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BlueJay + XYZ02 »

This resonates only to religious people that believe in god, otherwise irrelevant and lengthy. No doubt there is an audience for such reverence as yours. Good luck!
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

BlueJay + XYZ02 wrote: 28 Apr 2020, 15:18 This resonates only to religious people that believe in god, otherwise irrelevant and lengthy. No doubt there is an audience for such reverence as yours. Good luck!
Yeah you are right. The writer did a great job though in making the readers feel what she was feeling in the moment. For Christian readers, this is gooing to be a great read and they are going to really love it and cherish it. Also, it calms the soul of the reader in a good way.
gayscott
Currently Reading:

Post by gayscott »

:tiphat: Thank you for your response. It's true ....only religious people will have an interest in this. That is exactly why I wrote it. I want people to know how deep my connection is to God and how much I depend on Him. Hopefully it will touch someone and help them along life's journey.
I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me. :reading-6: :reading-6: :angelic-cyan:
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

He is my Rock too. This a poem, a prayer and a heart cry. Thank you for having the courage to share.
gayscott
Currently Reading:

Post by gayscott »

:D RachelEmmanuel I write what is on my heart. Thank you for reading.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Thank you so much and maybe someone who is in trouble will see your words and find faoth enough and be still and listen and will take strength from your words.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
gayscott
Currently Reading:

Post by gayscott »

Dragonsend Thank you for your reply. I pray that what I wrote will help someone during their struggle and realize that God is always there ......if they'll turn to Him.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”