Overactive Imagination and Apocalypse from the POV of a Roach!

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
supraja_prasad
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supraja-prasad.html
Latest Review: Doppelgänger by Marc J. Seifer
fav_author_id: 2484

Overactive Imagination and Apocalypse from the POV of a Roach!

Post by supraja_prasad »

Dear Dairy,

After what happened today (you would need to check out the BREAKING NEWS, before I start!), I am truly glad that I have you for company. And the fact that you take in so much from me and not talk back, it’s actually a relief. The last thing that I want now is someone talking back, trying to reassure me that we’ll all live to see another day and that this had happened before and will again do! I mean that’s how those over-sized lizards were wiped off the face of earth, right? And life on earth as magical and magnificent as it is still continues as if nothing happened. Then, I ask you just as I have asked myself, several times today, why throw a fit! Come to think of it, it is pretty much scary as it is, though there is a huge off-chance that it may never happen… Well, I wonder…

It’s happening again and yes, obviously it’s all over the news. Come to think of it, how can it not be! Sure enough, we can expect another blockbuster with some oh-so-good graphics that comes with the latest technology that there is. Ah, why all this hoopla, you ask? It’s only fair that you get an answer and the rest is up to you. All of us can take another roller coaster ride with our own imagination for company and come up with as many logical or illogical explanations as we may want to churn out. Alright then, listen up! Here’s the big news… “An asteroid is hurtling straight towards earth”, says the favourite of all space sciences and such related ones, NASA. Though it was the organisation that was first to break the news, it is seconded and backed by every other organisation that is into star gazing. So, having our fates read out, what options do we have?

We may try and come up with a few ideas that may as well be good for adapting in such disastrous situations, if and when it happens, but what good would that do? I suggest we start to approach it through the looking glass. I get what you are thinking, an asteroid through the looking glass? See if Mr.Rabbit and Hatter can chit-chat and don’t we need one right now. Okay, it’s weird, I know but please bear with me and humour me. All I intend to is, to have a good laugh and no I am not talking about who will have the last laugh.
ASTEROIDS. What pops up with that word, as if it is almost synonymous with it? I know, Outer space! And with it comes a list, and the first in that is “Alien invasion”.

Now, just imagine! What if this asteroid was really a spaceship? Would it be any good? Do you think we might actually have the Vulcans over or would it be Chitauri? Come to think of it, it opens a huge range of possibilities after all! Everyone and everything from Saiyans, Namek, Tharks and even world’s most favourite Doctor might actually be existing all this time! Or better still we might have been one of them who crash landed eons ago only to adapt to earthly conditions. Nah! Boring…

How about we shift focus, from how we humans see it to the perspective of the natural world? No, you my dairy are not a part of it, but you were. Any recollections from your past life, do you feel something in those wide leaves and pages of yours? Oh! Yes, you are right! You are from earth my friend and the distinction between us Earthlings and Narnians is that their fiercer spirit of life, when you would stand tall and bear the burnt in silence they may run and fight and leave no stone unturned. But, if it were to be even Aslan won’t be able to stop it, he does not shift the balance messing with Deep magic. Well, that may be the bigger perspective.

On the other hand, let us try to think small. You know better than the others that small can be pretty powerful. And I do fear it, what if someone else picks you up? I’d rather not think of it unless of course I decide to share a good story. Wait, where were we? Small things, right…

Let’s take another “Just imagine” moment. Now, just try imagining the asteroid shower from the point of view of a seemingly significant, yet insignificant little fellow — an insect. My preferred choice is the Cockroach, for the simple reason that it may well be the lone surviving species on Planet Earth.

The POV of a Cockroach

“Just the same old boring routine of life, running around among scum and trying to make things work. And with one thing to bother, Pesticides and Insecticides. I don’t understand why the humans fail to realise my importance. They don’t seem to realise that without me in their lives, it would only be much messier! Wait a minute, why is it so very hot? Dear me, its blazing everywhere! It’s nothing but total annihilation, and what? I AM STILL ALIVE?! So much for being written off as insignificant, suddenly now, I am the ALL POWERFUL!”

What? You think is funny? Oh my Dairy, for your information those things are survivors of nuclear blasts! Scientists are even contemplating on sending them to outer space to check if the cosmic rays affect them at all.

So, I am tired even to scribble off on you. You know what? I hope that we are spared with that off chance of the asteroid not entering Earth’s orbit and spiral down into the sun. But, better still, I wish that I wake up from my sleep and pass this off as another random minor nightmare. It is way too clichéd to be true, but I just wish it were…

*Cross-posted on WP
Books may well be the only true magic.
~Alice Hoffman

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”