The Bubble Zone (a very silly story)

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Ben Moore
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

The Bubble Zone (a very silly story)

Post by Ben Moore »

I wrote this a while back as a bit of a laugh. It's a deliberately surreal and silly story that sort of pokes fun at short stories for children. Let me know what you think:

The Bubble Zone

Sometimes in life, you have to think hard about what to do. You could do something that seems good at first, but turns out bad later on. Or you could do something that makes you really happy, but wipes out an entire civilisation. This is a story about a girl who had to think really hard about what to do.

Semolina was an ordinary girl. Almost as ordinary as you. She lived in a flat in Birmingham with her Mum and Dad and her baby brother James. Everyone called her Sem. One day, Sem was playing with her baby brother James. She was blowing great, big bubbles for him and he was laughing very loudly. There was just one problem.

Babies are boring.

Whenever Sem tried to put the bubbles away, James stopped laughing and started crying. Poor Sem! But she had a plan. She went and got the hula hoop Mum used to use to exercise in the mornings 4 stone ago. She filled it up with bubble mix and began to blow the biggest bubble ever.

She blew and blew, and the bubble grew and grew.

And grew and grew

And grew and grew

Until

The biggest bubble in recent history was floating in her front room. James was very scared and fell backwards on to a pillow crying. Sem looked at the bubble and her mouth fell open. She couldn’t believe her eyes! Just then, the bubble started floating towards her. She tried to find a way to escape but she was trapped! The bubble hit her and she was pulled inside.

Sem found herself floating in a big empty space. She was in the giant bubble! Now Sem felt scared. She was all alone and stuck in a bubble.

“Hello” said a wobbly voice. Sem turned around and saw a person made of bubbles floating towards her.
“My names is Bubble Craig” he wibbled.
“I… I’m Sem” said Sem.
“Ah, short for Semolina no doubt!” quivered Bubble Craig, “Welcome to the Bubble Zone!”
“What’s the Bubble Zone?” asked Sem.
“It’s a bubble world. It’s my home.” Bubble Craig trembled.
“You live here with your family?” Sem asked.
“My family are dead.” shook Bubble Craig.
“Oh” said Sem.

One bubble tear flew out of the bubble man’s eye and disappeared. Sem knew that she had to get back to her own family. But how?

“How do I get out of this bubble?” she asked. Bubble Craig shook his head sadly.
“You can’t leave the Bubble Zone,” he trembled, “The only way out is to pop the bubble.”
“Well, I’ll pop the bubble then” Sem said, happy to see a way out. But Bubble Craig screamed see-throughly.
“You can’t do that! If you pop the bubble, my world will be destroyed! The Bubble Zone is my home” he rippled.

Sem had a finger pointed at the edge of the Bubble Zone, ready to pop it from the inside, but she didn’t want to destroy Bubble Craig’s home.
“If I don’t pop it,” she cried, “I’ll never see my family again!”
“If you do pop it,” Bubble Craig gyrated, “I will die!”
Sem didn’t know if she could do it. After all they had been through, could she kill her friend Bubble Craig? Sem started to cry.

“It’s ok,” vibrated Bubble Craig, “I know it’s really hard to know what to do.” To make her feel better, Bubble Craig put a friendly hand on Sem’s shoulder. But!

OH NO!

Bubbles are never meant to be touched. Bubble Craig exploded and Sem screamed as the bubble mix flew into her eyes, blinding her. Bubble Craig was dead.

Sem felt sad that her only friend in the Bubble Zone had exploded, but now she didn’t have to worry about killing him if she popped the bubble.

Sem stretched out her finger.

“Here we go” she said. Sem poked the bubble which popped and sent her tumbling out, back into her flat. She stood up and brushed herself down. Her Mum was waiting for her.

“So,” Mum said, “I see you too have made a journey into the Bubble Zone. Just like me, when I was a young girl.” Sem looked at her Mum, feeling amazed.
“You’ve been to the Bubble Zone too?” she asked.
“Yes,” Mum replied, “Many years ago. It was full of life then. Before… before…

Sem’s Mum began to tell her all about her adventures in the Bubble Zone many years ago. That is a story for another time though.

For now I will only say this: all is not what it seems and the Bubble Zone is not as lost as you think.

I should know, I live there.

Love from,

Bubble Craig
'All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling' - Oscar Wilde
'Am reading more Oscar Wilde. What a tiresome, affected sod' - Noël Coward
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I love this! So funny. A children's story that's really for adults. Or perhaps also older kids who enjoy the macabre.
Hoping to hear more from Bubble Craig.
Ben Moore

Post by Ben Moore »

Juliet+1 wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 22:28 I love this! So funny. A children's story that's really for adults. Or perhaps also older kids who enjoy the macabre.
Hoping to hear more from Bubble Craig.
Thanks 😁 I’ve been meaning to dust off the Bubble Zone for a while now. Maybe The Bubble Zone 2 will appear one day soon!
Moodykelz_10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moodykelz_10 »

What a cute and delightful story. I hope i get to see more of the bubble zone again one day.
Ben Moore

Post by Ben Moore »

Moodykelz_10 wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 13:56 What a cute and delightful story. I hope i get to see more of the bubble zone again one day.
Thank you! I’m sure Sem will find her way back there one day

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”