Overall Rating and Opinion of "Forever Twelve"

Discuss the March 2015 book of the month, "Forever Twelve" by Meg Kimball.

How do you rate "Forever Twelve"?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
4%
2 stars - fair, okay
4%
3 stars - good, recommend it
35%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
57%

Total votes: 23

Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Forever Twelve"

Post by Jojowrites4All »

Wow, I wouldn't naturally pick up such a book due to my age. Yet, I'm glad that I did read the book. It was full of innocence, fun, and compassion. It made me question if I'm doing all that I can to help others, and if I'm seeing people and circumstances with the purest heart. Yes, this story has been impactful for an older person. Rating****
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

bookowlie wrote:Please don't feel you should alter the sequel to include a more defined setting. One thing that is nice about "Anywhere, USA" is that readers can focus on the universal themes in the book.
-- 13 Mar 2015, 18:07 --

Oops, I was looking for the author's recent comment to reply to and can't find it. Oh well....

The point I was trying to make is that a real setting, fictional setting, or "Anywhere" setting are all fine choices and are a matter of preference. The book is excellent. While I like a sense of place in a book, other readers may have a different preference. Some people like chocolate ice cream and others love mint chocolate chip. No right or wrong choice. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I went into reading this book not really expecting much, for no other reasons than the last couple of books I've read were duds and the thought of reading about 12 year olds didn't really intrigue me. But I was wrong. If I had to choose one word to describe this book it would be refreshing. Even though it dealt with some serious issues, I felt that it was an overall lighthearted, easy read that was very different from the books I am normally drawn to, which created a nice change of pace.

As someone already mentioned, I thought the change of perspective between Corey and Andi was a great addition. Reading the way they view themselves and each other was fascinating for me. Twelve seems like such a pivotal age where some kids are starting to understand the way that other people view them isn't necessarily the way they view themselves. I would say that my only real gripe about the book was the characters not understanding their emotions. I mean, I understand it's a confusing age, but I had a hard time buying that they couldn't identify being embarrassed or understanding when they had a crush. Those seem like pretty simple, straightforward feelings to me.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and appreciate that it got me out of my blah book funk. I would absolutely read a sequel.
scquarantillo
Favorite Author: rachel vincent
Favorite Book: Forever by Judy Blume
Currently Reading: Undead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scquarantillo.html
fav_author_id: 4455

Post by scquarantillo »

I have started but I can not get into this book. Its not my genre, but I wanted to try and participate anyways. I am going to keep trying to push forwards but we shall see. I will let you all know what I think when I'm done. Its not that I dislike the story, it's just that it may just not be for me!
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

bookowlie wrote:Please don't feel you should alter the sequel to include a more defined setting. One thing that is nice about "Anywhere, USA" is that readers can focus on the universal themes in the book.
I agree with this. I think that having a real location can detract from a story, unless the location is a meaningful part of the plot. For instance, in Forever Twelve, the location was vague enough I was able to just imagine my own neighborhood growing up or other various places I've been.

Isn't this a running joke in the tv show The Simpsons? They live in Springfied, but never say what state. It could be anywhere!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

OK! :-)

HA HA. Yeah, that makes me think of the TV show Frasier, in which we never see Maris. Or Home Improvement, in which we never see all of Wilson's face. He came out and took a bow after the last episode, and it was like, "Oh! That's what he looks like."

(Just between us, I've never seen the Simpsons! Is it funny?) :shhh:
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Hah, I think so! I think the last few seasons have declined in quality, though.

I forgot about Wilson on Home Improvement!!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

"Howdy, neighbor!"
"Howdy, neighborette!"
:greetings-wavegreen: :greetings-wavegreen: :greetings-wavegreen: :greetings-wavegreen:
Scorsee
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorsee.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Scorsee »

I really enjoyed reading this book. While not usually my cup of tea, the plot and characters were immersive. While I too found the transition form Corey to Andi to be a bit jarring, I really liked seeing things from Andi's perspective. For pre-teens and teens reading this book I could see it being a valuable asset to their empowerment. Since the plot delves into real issues that this age group faces that are not often broached in novels, it is particularly valuable.

I loved the way it was written and that each character was given their own, very discernible, voice.
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” -Albus Dumbledore
britt1125
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt1125.html
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis

Post by britt1125 »

At first, I though this book was going to be ordinate towards more of a younger group of people, but as the story unfolded it became of some interest to me. I have a 7 year old boy and I though it rather interesting to compare and contrast the two.
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

This book took me back to those times when so much was going on in my twelve year old girl life, and every little detail of that life was of the utmost importance. Thank Goodness I'm older now, but I reminisce about that period of my life with great fondness. Great Job Meg on bringing me back to those days.

4 out 4 stars
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

You're so welcome! That's, like, so beautiful. I'm falling under the influence of Ambien right now. But thank you so much. This makes me happy, and I will persevere with the writing. After I sleep. Thank you!! :-)
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I picked up this one just a few days back and I'm yet to finish it. However, the book is very well wrtten and since I don't mind books with young characters, I find the book quite engrossing till now.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I'm super-glad that you're enjoying it!! :-)
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

I didn't think at first that I would enjoy this book so much. I think I'll tell my nephew to give it a try, I'm sure he'll like it as well.
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Return to “"Forever Twelve" by Meg Kimball”