Featured Review: Forever Twelve by Meg Kimball

Discuss the March 2015 book of the month, "Forever Twelve" by Meg Kimball.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Featured Review: Forever Twelve by Meg Kimball

Post by Levi »

Eyre-thee-well wrote:I am anxious to read it. I have an Amazon gift card coming soon, and i already know how I'm going to use it. Having become acquainted with zeldas in some of the forums, I am convinced we are kindred spirits, and I am sure I will be delighted with her book.
Woo hoo, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Yes, Meg is awesome, she first welcomed me here and thus the real reason why I picked it up, but I'm glad I did.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Escapeartist wrote:
Eyre-thee-well wrote:I am anxious to read it. I have an Amazon gift card coming soon, and i already know how I'm going to use it. Having become acquainted with zeldas in some of the forums, I am convinced we are kindred spirits, and I am sure I will be delighted with her book.
Woo hoo, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Yes, Meg is awesome, she first welcomed me here and thus the real reason why I picked it up, but I'm glad I did.
Thank you, Levi!! I'm really glad you read my book because you really "got" it in a way that matters. :-)

Kindred spirits!! Thank you, Eyre!! Just as Anne Shirley would say.

BTW, I know I have The Thorn Birds listed as my favorite book, but Jane Eyre is definitely in my top three. (It was close!)
Levi

Post by Levi »

my thoughts:

Bovine flatulence. Do I have your attention?! Yes, this book contains a joke about bovine flatulence and how it relates to supposed global warming. This book contains a plethora of things that one would not expect. I am a thirty-four year old male in the motorcycle industry and I loved not only the inspiring message of the book, but also the never ending humor and and the way the author captures the adolescent girl's rambling mind as well as the nature of human thought. At one point one of our heroines, Corey, is running through a library terrified seemingly of nothing, but her thought is that something is following her and that at any point this terrifying presence is going to throw the bookshelves over onto her and she is going to die in an avalanche of books. Ha ha ha, I still to this day sometimes feel a little creeped out when I watch scary movies at home alone by myself, and have often thought of something doing me some kind of dastardly harm from beyond the grave. Just kidding, that never happens, I'm too tough for that and ghosts are scared of me, but i digress. The aforementioned humor is also second to none if you like sarcastic humor (which if you don't, you're probably the dead ghostly presence that was chasing Corey or the one that tries to gnaw my face off when I watch The Haunting at home alone, because if you are alive, how could you not like sarcastic humor?) One of the best lines in the book comes after Andi, our other heroine, is explaining to her dad that they learned about bovine flatulence and it's relation to global warming in school that day. Her dad goes on speaking to her and begins to pry too far into her preteen life, at which point she makes a joke about a boy that almost makes her dad have a heart attack, and when she sees the haunted look on his face she states, "I was just joking, don't have a flatulent cow, dad!!" Hahaha

But truly, the story was inspiring and that was the point that I liked most about it. Too much in the world today we speak and never listen. We argue on Facebook with textual eye bulging anger and spew hateful things to those who disagree with us, because if they don't like it we can just ignore them or delete them, we never have to reason and look at the other person's point of view. I mean seriously, what is this debate class, I don't have to listen to you OMG, shut up or I'm telling my mom! We sound like some of the troubled kids in this book. And that is where Andi and Corey come in. These young ladies do what most people fail to do these days, they care. They care so much that they look past people's outer appearances and attitudes and get to the core of who they are and then help them to become better people. They do this even for people that have hurt them and that sacrifice makes their compassion that much more cathartic to the person who experiences it. These are true principles, have you ever been forgiven for something horrible that you have done to someone? At that point that forgiveness and the kindness that that person shows you is much more meaningful than if they have forgiven you some minor offence.

In conclusion, I have read some reviews that state that the characters are not believable because they are too kind, or too wise. Corey's mom always has the right answer when she needs help. And to this I say balderdash!!! Unhand me you literary Siskel and Ebert! There are those of us who truly do care about other people, and who look past what others outer appearances and attitudes are try to get to know the real person and help them. I am one of them. I am a 34 year old motorcycle enthusiast with tattoos that also loves people and would do anything to help anyone that I could. Appearances can be deceiving. In this day and age of internet warmongering, we all could use a little more help from the likes of the Advice Avengers.

You got a problem with that!? :)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Yeah, I got a problem with that, punk. :violence-smack:

OMG, thank you so much for those kind words!! I really appreciate it, and I'm so happy that you loved the book so much!! :D Thank you!!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Escapeartist - What a great review! I also loved Corey's mom, although Andi's dorky dad was my favorite character!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Levi

Post by Levi »

Thanks Owlie, I did like him in the end. I think the only character I didn't like was Principal butt nugget as I came to call him. What a jerk face.:)
Ericaflowers6238
Currently Reading: The Mansion's Twins
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericaflowers6238.html

Post by Ericaflowers6238 »

When I was a preteen I would have loved to have a book like this to read. It is fantastic to see that an author took on the challenging task of writing a book from a child's point of view and was able to create such an intriguing story. This would be a perfect book for my 13 year old sister, and I am likely going to purchase it.
Levi

Post by Levi »

You won't be sorry Erica!!
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Escapeartist wrote:You won't be sorry Erica!!
Thanks, Levi!!

Erica, please let me know what your sister thinks of it!! :-)
ZackandMack
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2523">The Smile Ambassadors</a>
Currently Reading: The Smile Thief
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by ZackandMack »

Zack and I aren't 12 yet and we are boy turtles instead of human girls, that aside the review is lovely and the story sounds wonderful.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

OMG, hi Zack and Mack!! Thanks for stopping in! Hey everyone, say hi to Zack and Mack, the twin turtles!! Thank you for the praise!! You guys are my favorite turtles!!
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by kitsune1997 »

It sounds really interesting. I will suggest my friend to get it for her sister who is that age. Maybe I'll read it too who knows :P
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
cgoss74
Favorite Author: Danielle Steel
Currently Reading: Follow You Home
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgoss74.html
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 3250

Post by cgoss74 »

I am putting this book on my want to read list, can't wait to read it.
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

cgoss74 wrote:I am putting this book on my want to read list, can't wait to read it.
I'd love for you to read it!! :D
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

@LivreAmour217

This sounds like a very interesting book, great review! I'm going to add it to my to-read list! In my classroom, I have two young girls, one is twelve and the other is thirteen years old. I actually think both will like this book too, so I'm going to recommend it to them as well! Thanks, again!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “"Forever Twelve" by Meg Kimball”