Featured Review: Forever Twelve by Meg Kimball

Discuss the March 2015 book of the month, "Forever Twelve" by Meg Kimball.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Featured Review: Forever Twelve by Meg Kimball

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Forever Twelve" by Meg Kimball.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Forever Twelve is a young adult novel that tells the story of two best friends in transition from the carefree innocence of childhood to the more complicated teen years. The story is told in first person, and alternates between the perspectives of the two main characters: shy, innocent Corey and fashionable, artistic Andi.

The two friends meet each other at the beginning of their seventh grade year, after accepting to work together on the advice column for their school's newspaper. In spite of their obvious differences, they hit it off right away and are soon best friends. Working under the title of The Advice Avengers, Corey and Andi begin helping the student body one letter at a time, and soon make a name for themselves in the halls of Emerson Middle School. But although the girls are good at helping others work through their problems, they have a more difficult time sorting out their own, and many surprises await the two friends as they navigate the uncharted waters of adolescence.

To begin, I have to say that the writing in this book is superb. It is clear, descriptive, and free of grammatical errors. Forever Twelve is one of the more carefully edited novels that I have reviewed to date, and has the same quality I would expect from a bookstore purchase. The language and first-person perspectives are somewhat reminiscent of a personal childhood favorite, The Babysitter's Club.

The main characters are wonderfully engaging and realistic. Both Corey and Andi are three-dimensional and relatable to the book's target audience (middle grade girls). The use of an alternating first-person perspective maximizes the appeal of the novel, as shy readers will relate well to Corey, while more outgoing readers will gravitate toward Andi.

What I enjoyed most about this novel is that it maintains an overall positive outlook on life without being unrealistically optimistic. The language is clean, and the main characters do not engage in any inappropriate or questionable behavior. However, both Corey and Andi are faced with a number of complicated issues, such as teen pregnancy, depression, substance abuse, and the loss of a loved one. I respect that the author chose to address these issues, as many preteens and teens will encounter them at some point. However, instead of making Corey and Andi victims of these complicated situations, the author uses them to empower the girls. The two friends stay focused on finding solutions to their problems while encouraging their friends and classmates to do likewise. Although young, Corey and Andi are strong, competent role models for preteen girls.

Lastly, I really appreciated the inclusion of positive authority figures for the girls to turn to in times of trouble. Corey's mother, Andi's father, and the girls' English teacher are caring, competent adults that have the girls' best interests at heart. I feel that trustworthy, competent adults are vastly underrepresented in young adult literature, and it was refreshing to see that the main characters were not left to their own devices to solve every problem that arose in the book.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and give it 4 out of 4 stars. Forever Twelve is an excellent choice for girls aged 11-14 who are (or soon will be) in middle school.

Buy "Forever Twelve" on Amazon
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Thank you so much for reviewing my book!! :D
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Great review! Sounds good. May pick it up for my niece who just turned eleven. 8)
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
huezang6
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by huezang6 »

I understand what you are saying but I think there should be more comments regarding the threat that was initially started so that the pool of thoughts is attracted. Regards.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Thanks for the lovely review! I love books from this age range! Maybe because I never officially grew up and I can relate to these better than anything in the world! This sounds like something I would enjoy! And I loved the Babysitter's Club, too!
Nora Lynn

Post by Nora Lynn »

Books from this age range are great for people of all ages to relate. Middle school girls relate to the issues you presented, but sometimes adults have unresolved issues and it helps to read through the lives of girls presented in first person voice. This is an excellent review, in my opinion. This is a book even teen girls would enjoy.
Shurisa

Post by Shurisa »

Sounds like a great book to read. There are a great many things that will be confronting young girls and boys mentioned in the review and it is nice to know that there are books with plot lines that will parallel their experiences. It will be interesting to see once it comes out in stores.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Thank you everyone for your kind comments on my review, they are much appreciated :D Sorry for the delay in responding--I've had limited access to the Internet due to travel.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
queenofjacks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenofjacks.html

Post by queenofjacks »

This sounds like a great book! Even though I am a young adult now, sometimes I just love to venture back to my middle school years. I think I'll try to give this a read soon!
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

ALynnPowers wrote:Thanks for the lovely review! I love books from this age range! Maybe because I never officially grew up and I can relate to these better than anything in the world! This sounds like something I would enjoy! And I loved the Babysitter's Club, too!
Lol, I don't think that I ever officially grew up either, which is probably why I enjoyed this book so much! Thanks for the positive feedback!

-- 03 Jan 2015, 16:02 --
queenofjacks wrote:This sounds like a great book! Even though I am a young adult now, sometimes I just love to venture back to my middle school years. I think I'll try to give this a read soon!
I hope that you do get to read this book--you won't be disappointed!!!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I sure as heck haven't grown up, and that's fact. Does anyone really grow up these days? ;-)
Klk0864

Post by Klk0864 »

This sounds like a great book for a teen girl, I will be recommending it to my daughter. Thank you
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Great review. Thanks! :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Klk0864 wrote:This sounds like a great book for a teen girl, I will be recommending it to my daughter. Thank you
I think she will enjoy it!!!!

-- 05 Jan 2015, 15:59 --
ryanj1 wrote:Great review. Thanks! :)
You are welcome, and thank you for the feedback :D
AKTuminello
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aktuminello.html

Post by AKTuminello »

Really good review. I feel like I'm missing out. I was too old for "Babysitter's Club" and although I enjoy some YA, this sounds like it might be better suited to pick up and stash away for future tweens in my life.

Return to “"Forever Twelve" by Meg Kimball”