Official Review: The Golden Window by Steven C. Brandt

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Golden Window by Steven C. Brandt

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Golden Window" by Steven C. Brandt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Golden Window: Poems - Collection I 2015-2017 Self-Reliance to Caregiving is a book of poetry by Steven C. Brandt. This collection includes almost fifty poems and is split into six sections: “Self-Reliance,” “Living Full,” “Nature,” “Joys,” “Sorrows,” and “Caregiving.” As the section titles suggest, the author takes the reader on a journey through his personal experiences and feelings. Some poetic themes in the collection are quiet obvious, while others are cleverly disguised and take time to process.

If I were to choose one word to describe this collection, it would be methodical. Everything about each poem was clearly planned, down to the spacing and formatting of each word, line, and stanza. For example, in “Rapids,” each line is offset to form a pattern that looks like crashing waves. Similarly, in “Intimacy,” a subtle font change sets the tone for a more poignant story to unfold. To get the most out of this collection, one cannot just read the words on the page; one has to explore all elements of the formatting as well.

Stylistically, the poems are all free verse, but there are some that rhyme and some that don’t; some are very short and some cover a few pages. I greatly enjoyed the use of variation. The poems never felt stagnant or contrived; each one added something different to the collection. Whether it be a new rhythm, a new emotion, an unexpected turn of events, or even a different take on a basic theme, I found myself eager to read each poem and unravel new surprises within Brandt’s writing.

The poems cover an array of relatable themes. Firsts, nature, aging, the passage of time, love, and death are just some of the topics the author opens up about in this very personal collection. The author’s writing is incredibly honest, and I appreciated the stylistic story telling methods Brandt utilized. For instance, some of the longer poems tell a complete story, like in the opening poem, “The Golden Window,” where a young boy witness subtle magic by gaining a different perspective. Whereas the short poems tell a different kind of story, like “Penumbra,” which contains only eight brief lines but manages to encompass an entire stage of one’s life.

As a poetry lover, The Golden Window was a pleasant surprise. The intricate nature of the author’s style, the variation throughout the collection, and the nostalgic themes explored in the poems made it a pleasure to read. There is nothing I dislike about this collection, and the collection is professionally edited. I happily rate The Golden Window 4 out of 4 stars and highly recommend it to poetry lovers who enjoy meticulous poems that are easily enjoyed but also make you think.

The Golden Window
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I really enjoy reading poems and I find it impressive when writers connect them with their lives. Thanks for an insightful review.
adefbay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by adefbay »

It is a most have book for every poem lover, even if you don't like reading poem books you will enjoy this. I LOVE IT
Erin Roe
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Erin Roe »

This is a great review! I know what I am going to find in this collection of poetry, and I know that it is exactly the kind of thing I would like! :D
EvelynBlake
Favorite Author: Neil Gaiman
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evelynblake.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
fav_author_id: 3586

Post by EvelynBlake »

I've recoiled when I read "fifty poems" in your review (because it sounds like a very weighty collection). However, the rest of your review made me reconsider. I dabble in poetry myself and am always interested in new voices.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I must admit I haven't been a fan of poetry in the past, however, the beautiful cover of this book lead me to read your review. I am intrigued by the personal journey and six categories described in this collection of work. After reading your review, I am thinking I should give poetry another try!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not a poetry lover, but I do enjoy that the author uses spacing and fonts to create the atmosphere! It sounds like something that I would enjoy, but I'm still not sure if I would like it enough to buy it. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

I have decided that I want to read more poems. I have shied away from poems because so many are obscure, but the idea of reading a poem that portrays the image being written about sounds like fun. I also like that some of the poems are obvious in their meaning. Thanks for your thoughtful and informative review. :)
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am a fan of poems although at times I may easily get frustrated when I cannot get the scope of a poem after reading and rereading severally. These collections sound fascinating. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Methodical poetry! That's wonderful! I'm a little tired of completely free, free-verse style poetry. Thanks for this review!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Ganiyat Ajibade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ganiyat Ajibade »

I don't really like reading poems but this one is different from the review I feel like reading more poem.l like it.
CharlizeGwapa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlizegwapa.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CharlizeGwapa »

Freeverses are good to read because they sound more dramatic. I like this one.
Itz Jentle Brown 123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Itz Jentle Brown 123 »

I really like reading poems and find it so much impressive when writters connect them with their lives ,thank for such a wonderful review
Cmales08
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Cmales08 »

The Golden Window Is an art full, purposefully slow examination of the human spirit. Hope pervades nearly all the poems of the collection. And yet, there is an omnipresent sense that, because we all die, existentialism may rule the day, after all.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I am not a fan of poetry but I did like the September peom.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”