Official Review: Mark Twain and the Devil

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Official Review: Mark Twain and the Devil

Post by Camille Turner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mark Twain and the Devil" by WYN (pen-name for Irwin Shishko.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mark Twain and the Devil by Wyn is a unique play told in three acts and starring the two famous figures from the title: the great American writer Mark Twain and Satan. The whole play takes place in Twain’s study, where the Devil visits him on three separate occasions. While his ultimate goal is to persuade Twain to spend eternity in Hell rather than Heaven, the two discuss a myriad of topics.

The crux of this play rests on the sharp and witty dialogue between the two main characters. Among the many subjects they discuss are Biblical topics, writing, politics, patriotism, and storytelling. Both consider what it means to lie and how one can recognize the truth. By the end of the play, the Devil has used many different tactics, including flattery and seduction, to try and convince Twain to choose to spend his afterlife in Hell.

One of the things I noticed and liked right off the bat was that Mark Twain’s personality and life shine through his dialogue. I enjoyed the historical and literary references to his books and personal life, including his political and social ideas. It’s clear that Wyn has a thorough grasp of this celebrated author known as the father of the Great American Novel. I also liked the many moments of humor littered throughout the text, which seemed even more appropriate because of Twain’s own mastery of the art of humor.

There were a handful of grammatical mistakes or typos, usually related to punctuation, that didn’t really detract from the play and could be easily corrected. For example, one line has an unnecessary parenthesis at the end where there should instead be end quotation marks. It reads, “Ya-wohl, mein host. As the saying saying goes, ‘Trinken Macht Frei)” (Loc 405). Another line contains a period where there should be a comma. It reads, “be it a he. she or it” (Loc 470). I did not think these few errors merited the loss of a star, however, because there were only several of them. As such, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

There wasn’t anything I didn’t like about it, and even the occasional departure from the time period—the Devil has a cell phone even though it’s 1908—seems well placed and intentionally humorous. I believe Mark Twain and the Devil will appeal to readers who love Twain’s work and to those who enjoy plays centered on clever dialogue and characters who ever so often break the fourth wall. Those who don’t enjoy reading about iconic literary figures and sharp-tongued religious discussions need not bother.

Mark Twain and the Devil
View: on Bookshelves

Like Camille Turner's review? Post a comment saying so!
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

This one looks quite interesting. I wouldn't mind asking the devil a few questions myself. Seems Wyn did the convo some justice going by your review - a good one at that.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I think it'll be an exciting read specially those who fancy Mark Twain's writings. Also, I am in for witty dialoges. I can't wait to add this book on my bookshelve.
Ann KENDI
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ann KENDI »

The book sounds interesting but outright fiction. This is because having a conversation with the devil is not exactly realistic.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like the author has done quite a bit of research on Mark Twain; he must really like him a lot. It's intriguing, but I don't think it's something I would enjoy. I'm not very interested in conversations between Mark Twain in the devil, nonetheless in play format. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

DogoMulla wrote: 27 Feb 2019, 17:48 This one looks quite interesting. I wouldn't mind asking the devil a few questions myself. Seems Wyn did the convo some justice going by your review - a good one at that.
It was a very interesting read for sure. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Shielasshi_93 wrote: 27 Feb 2019, 21:01 I think it'll be an exciting read specially those who fancy Mark Twain's writings. Also, I am in for witty dialoges. I can't wait to add this book on my bookshelve.
I enjoy witty dialogues as well. I hope you have fun reading the book! Thanks for commenting. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

kandscreeley wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 08:30 It sounds like the author has done quite a bit of research on Mark Twain; he must really like him a lot. It's intriguing, but I don't think it's something I would enjoy. I'm not very interested in conversations between Mark Twain in the devil, nonetheless in play format. Thanks, though.
Yes, I believe he does. Fair enough! Thanks for reading and commenting. :)
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

This sounds like a play discussing some heavy topics in a comical format. I could read a little humor right now. Thanks for the informative review. :)
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 18:34 This sounds like a play discussing some heavy topics in a comical format. I could read a little humor right now. Thanks for the informative review. :)
Yes, it definitely is. :) Thanks for reading and commenting!
Skinnyblack
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Skinnyblack »

I enjoyed the read I wouldn't mind asking the devil some questions myself
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

This doesn't sounds like a book I will love to peruse. However, I'm glad that the book was an enjoyable read for you. Your review clearly shows that the author did a good research on Mark Twain. Thank you for this wonderful review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

What an interesting dialogue that must be! I love it when writers mix up "historical" (is the Devil historical? I really don't know) figures and get them interacting. I would love to have a chat with both the characters and I'm a total sucker for witty dialogue. Can't wait to read this book! Thank you!
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Looks like Faust from Goethe in many ways. I think I will give this book a try. Thank you so much for your review, Camille. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”