Official Review: Cracked Piano by Margo Taft Stever

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Cracked Piano by Margo Taft Stever

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cracked Piano" by Margo Taft Stever.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cracked Piano by Margo Taft Stever is a collection of poems that dissect the human psyche. The author pieced the work using letters written by Peter Rawson Taft, her great-grandfather, while he sought treatment at a psychiatric facility.

What I liked most about the book is that the author chronicled her great-grandfather's history at the beginning of the book. He was a brilliant man plagued by illness because, in the 1870s, there weren't reliable cures for many common maladies. A misdiagnosis coupled with archaic treatment methods prolonged his stay at the facility and isolated him from his family. He penned raw accounts of his time at the establishment and opened up about feeling empty. The author also includes letters from her great-grandfather's doctor. These updated the family about the man's progress and shed light on medical practices which are in stark contrast to today's.

The poems reveal the inner thoughts of a caged but optimistic individual. They tackle relevant themes like divorce, loneliness, and depression. Many people suffer silently, and I'm glad the author's great-grandfather had an outlet to express himself. He was a forward-thinking individual who cared about the environment. He loved nature and was most peaceful when he was one with the elements. I resonated with this views on war and conflict because they affect many parts of the world, leaving people homeless, starving, and dying. The poems also create awareness about infectious diseases like tuberculosis. A time when contracting the disease meant a death sentence is difficult to picture, but it made me appreciate the milestones that the medical community has achieved.

There is nothing I didn't like about this book. It is well written, concise, and enables readers to explore different psychological landscapes. The author states that ethically sourced materials have been used to produce the print version of this book. That earns her popularity among environmentally conscious readers. As a book lover, it made me wonder about the environmental impact of the books I read and the paper I use. Since this is a short book, it is suitable for anyone looking for a quick read. I read some of the poems more than once to grasp them entirely, but that shouldn't deter any dedicated reader.

Overall, the text is well edited. I noticed an extra spacing between the words of one verse, but that doesn't prevent me from awarding the book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is a refreshing read that I would recommend to lovers of poetry and psychology enthusiasts.

Cracked Piano
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

Though I'm not a fan of poems due to the fact that I find them hard to understand, the plot seems interesting. Nice review.
chewy4uto
Currently Reading: Betrayal of Justice
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chewy4uto.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by chewy4uto »

I enjoy poetry and find mental health care fascinating. Thank you for your review. I will have to read it sometime.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I haven't given much thought to the materials books are made of until now either. What a brilliant idea! I hope the practice becomes an industry standard. While I am not a fan of poetry, I appreciate work that provides others with an outlet for life struggles. The grandfather sounds like an interesting soul.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I'm not sure about the poetry, but the grandfather's story sounds very interesting. I would be interested in the historical aspect of the story. Thanks for your compelling review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not one that normally likes poetry, but this intrigues me. I love that the history is included with the letters from the doctor. I can only imagine what he was subjected to. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cap5
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by cap5 »

i think its gonna be one of the best book to spend some time in it. You will not feel lonely when reading this book hope these poems will help readers to understand and take measures against severe disuses to make the world better and safe to everyone that each creature can enjoy the living.
Ms_Bookworm
Currently Reading: Chrome Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-bookworm.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Ms_Bookworm »

I enjoy reading poetry when I can put it into context and this sounds right up my alley: an historical accounting of a patient in a psychiatric institution (asylum) softened by the filter of 100+ years of familial love, respect and curiosity. Thank you for such a thoughtful review.
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

Thank you for the review, this poetry collection is one I think I’ll find very interesting.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

I'm not a poetry enthusiast, but the content intrigues me. The only downside is how you've mentioned it took you a couple of re-reads to grasp the plot. I feel that it would detract from my experience, because I find poetry hard to get into already. Your review was concise and well-written, and I enjoyed reading it. Thank-you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”