Official Review: Confessions of a MANAHOLIC by P. Pierre

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Re: Official Review: Confessions of a MANAHOLIC by P. Pierre

Post by jahagen »

This sounds like an extremely interesting read, and definitely confronts aspects of love and relationships that many don't want to acknowledge. Poetry isn't generally my preferred genre, but I am trying to expand my reading so I might check this one out. Great review!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

You assessed the poems in depth and seem to understand poetry with the different layers of meaning about the love/pain circle. The poems touch on the imagination of the ideal man, pure desire and determination, the need for independence, and heartbreak experiences.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Confessions of a Manaholic is a collection of love poems. They show a woman obsessed with love and yet confused by her love. Congratulations to the author for being chosen as BOTD. Thanks to the reviewer for your detailed review.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I mainly appreciate the poet’s ambitious intentions of exploring the darker side of a woman’s love bordering on physical and mental addiction to one or more men. Even if I enjoyed reading most of the poems, there were a few instances when the lyrical voice became too syrupy and sentimental or when there was such a contradictory display of feelings that I felt lost and confused.
I wonder how he manages to do that? Reading through I felt he knew about what he was doing, yet sentimental and over emotional feeling made me feel he got carried away. You should try John Clare's First Love. It displays what the emotion of a loss love is about. Thank you for your information!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Roxanne Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxanne-thomas.html
Latest Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Post by Roxanne Thomas »

Lovely review. I like how you did not just read the poems but also read between the lines to find hidden meanings. However, I will have to pass on this one.
Sharedspirit
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sharedspirit »

After reading the sample of the book, I like the writer's style. I did not like the content of her poetry. I found it to disturbing. She really stirred emotions and I really didn't want to go there.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

A collection of poems that explores a woman's emotions toward a man that includes themes of addiction and obsession sounds pretty intense. It's interesting that there are several layers to these poems, but I would probably have a difficult time in understanding them, as well. It's odd that the abbreviation, S.A.W., wasn't actually defined, but that you had to guess on its meaning. If the meaning is true ("Sexually Aggressive Women"), then this really doesn't seems like it's for me. The reference to Fifty Shades of Gray also isn't very appealing to me as I'm not into erotic scenes. There definitely seems like a lot is going on here, and I'm glad you were able to appreciate the author attempts to explore the dark side of women. Too bad about the "too syrupy and sentimental" and contradictory aspects to this collection. However, I'm glad you were able to enjoy more of it on the whole. Thank you for sharing your detailed review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

This book seems to be a collection of powerful love poems. Though you said that some poems were too syrupy and sentimental, most sounds like expressions of strong feelings. Even if the contradictory feelings make the readers feel confused, I think it's appropriate for this book since love doesn't make sense at all. But I usually don't go for poems and reading a whole book of love poems is not my idea of fun. So, I don't think this is the book for me. All the same thanks for your thoughtful and thorough review.
pixiestyx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiestyx.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by pixiestyx »

Sounds like a strange, but unique, collection of poems that will appeal to fans of poetry. I, myself, find poetry subjective, and I tend to avoid it because it gets a bit boring, but I'm sure after reading your review, there will be many others who will seek out and enjoy this book.
Annie_Pea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annie-pea.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Annie_Pea »

I read the sample and review. Both indicate a possessive obsession with being in love and needing to be loved. I do like poetry but have a time understanding the true meaning of the words on the pages. I have enjoyed the poems that I have read, and the reviewer is on point with her understanding of what the author is conveying through these poems. The review is excellent, and it has enlightened me.
Lizetherrz
Currently Reading: The sweet patato queens of love
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Lizetherrz »

I love poems, that is 1 reason I want to read this book. I like the review, and love can be very confusing, people loose themselves sometimes. Looks like a great read Its definitely going to be added to my list.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Thank you for the review. While it seems that this collection of poems makes a fascinating analysis of the negative effects of love, I am afraid that poetry is not my thing, so I will not read it.
kath13_sake
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kath13-sake.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by kath13_sake »

A collection of poems about love. This one makes you feel every emotions you encounter when in love. Let's face it, we all fell in love but we experience a different kind of love from every relationships we get ourselves into. This one shows you every facade of love.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

Wow! The review is really thorough and deliciously literary!! As for the book, in a world filled with fairy tales and happy endings, it's admirable that the poet has written about obsession and heartbreak. The poems are sure to resonate with anyone who has felt the confusing stage of love.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Poetry is not my thing, so I doubt I would read this. That said, I have friends who enjoy poetry collections and your review has been invaluable in helping me identify which ones would appreciate this one the best. It sounds like a very deep reflection on love and relationships, and powerful even in its grimmer and darker aspects. Thank you for your thoughts!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”