Official Review: Eye Of The Storm by Master Michael Ramsey

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Eye Of The Storm by Master Michael Ramsey

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Eye Of The Storm" by Master Michael Ramsey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Told through a poetic style, Eye of the Storm by Master Michael Ramsey is a striking story chronicling Ramsey’s life events from his childhood to his war experiences in Iraq then to his trial that results in his incarceration.

To Ramsey, his father is nothing short of a hero, he is a symbol of security and power. When Ramsey’s father dies, he leaves his family without direction. His wife and two children wander through life lost and confused. When Ramsey joins the army, he finds purpose through the sense of brotherhood it instills. In between, he gets involved in a few romantic relationships. When his son is born, he is gearing up for a trip to Iraq. Stress and depression plague him and heighten when his best friend Dylan is murdered in unusual circumstances. Everything starts going south when he returns home and once again he is at war not only with others but also with himself.

One great feature of the book is the language that is used which is powerful and contains striking words that help the reader grasp the writer’s feelings. The scenes are despondent and the writer’s life is dotted by heart-breaking events and this style of writing delivers the emotional punch that allows for suspenseful impact. In between, there is romance in the plot and once again, the language accentuates the writer’s feelings. It also left me guessing in some cases and made me pay keen attention to every word so as to understand the message intended by the author.

Another great aspect of the book is that it sheds light on the plight of soldiers fighting in a strange land. The stress and depression experienced by Ramsey show the magnitude of what they have to deal with, the constant fear that you might never make it home rendering your child fatherless, the sadness of losing comrades and the constant need to be alert even when dealing with stressful thoughts. All these feelings can be felt throughout the book. It all gets worse when one has little to come back to and does not know how to deal with what they have left behind.

Eye of the Storm also touches on the gaps in the judicial system. Ramsey is paired with an experienced but dispassionate lawyer in his trial. The burden of proving he is innocent falls on Ramsey’s shoulders. Sadly, what he comes up with is not enough. A hero by many standards, having given much of his life for his country, Ramsey is still serving a life sentence.

I rate the Eye of the Storm 4 out of 4 stars as it is gripping and powerful. It is a great read for readers who appreciate narrative poetry.

Eye Of The Storm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I liked your review! The protagonist seems to have gone through more than his fair share of heart-breaking events in his life and as such, this book is sure to contain a despondent touch. Even though it may be a quality read, I am not up for an intense and sad memoir right now. Thanks for the review!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is quite an agonizing and sad story.I don't think I'll be able to keep up with this. Thank you for the thorough review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite entertaining and informative at the same time. That's a mix that I enjoy. The cover, too, is quite eye-catching. I'm going to have to research this one further. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

This sounds like a very emotional read. I am always impressed when a writer can evoke feelings in their stories. Thank you for reviewing this memoir. I liked that you pointed out that the story touched on gaps in the judicial system. This is an important aspect of the book that should not be ignored.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

It sounds like a very poigniant read, and one that will arouse strong feelings in its readers. While I do enjoy non-fiction, this might be a little too intense for me, especially with the strong war-time background. Thank you for the review.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I love how you write your review, it is informative but doesn't spoil the book. Anyway, this book seems interesting and sad at the same time. I would love to read this one.
grace8031
Currently Reading: Rats on the train
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace8031.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by grace8031 »

The book sounds interesting and mysterious. It seems Ramsey has gone through a lot in his live . When there is only one parent things are not always that easy.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”