Official Review: The Sandpiper's Spell by Tom Pearson

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Official Review: The Sandpiper's Spell by Tom Pearson

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sandpiper's Spell" by Tom Pearson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sandpaper's Spell takes it's reader on a trip down memory lane but instead of the memory lane running a linear path, it takes us on a wildly imaginative and insightful journey through Tom Pearson’s life, loves, and the world he experienced as a young child and an artist. Tom Pearson’s work draws from psychology, archetypal studies, dreams, and his Tsalagi Heritage – all combining to make a stunningly reflective poetic read.

The Sandpiper’s Spell is a relatively short poetry read but Tom Pearson fills each page with an abundance of evocative language. He draws inspiration from his Eastern Band Cherokee heritage and a struggling childhood in Saint Augustine, the oldest city in the United States. He also takes the reader on the path he has travelled to gain the success he now holds. Each poem, each stanza, is honest in what he has seen and felt.

Throughout The Sandpiper’s Spell, Tom Pearson continually shifts the mood, tone, and themes. This creates a realistic feel that mimics the ups and downs that he has faced in life. Some poems like ‘Childhood’, ‘Far-Sighted’ and ‘Bedtime Story’ were ringing with a nostalgia feel while ‘Observation’ brought to life the cold and clinical world that most artists experience when trying to make a name for themselves. He likens the experience to exhibiting art to a panel of predators.

Every page was filled with beautiful and detailed imagery. He reveals his early childhood and significant figures in his life with vivid descriptions. One poem, ‘Creation’, had me absolutely transfixed. I was reading it continuously. By combining creation, Greek mythology, and his imaginative flair, Pearson has created one of my favourite poems ever.

I loved the diversity in The Sandpiper’s Spell. Not only the setting or Tom Pearson’s heritage but the diversity in the poems. The mood, tone and theme shift, as well as the mix of Greek mythology and the poet’s life growing up, all lends to an immersive work that tugs at the reader's heartstrings. Most of the poem felt almost like a confessional or a journal entry which made it even more personal. The Sandpiper's Spell appears professionally edited and follows a free verse format. While I am usually not a fan of free verse, it perfectly emulates the unpredictable nature of the poems.

I rate The Sandpiper’s Spell 4 out of 4 stars. The beautiful and immersive imagery coupled with Tom Pearson’s raw and open perspective on life shines through in every word. The poetry will draw on all the nostalgic feelings of the reader’s past. I feel like any artist will be able to relate to the otherworldly writing and the sad truth on how art is viewed as a commodity instead of what it is – art. I would recommend this book to those looking for a poetry read that will ring with nostalgic tones and will bring forth many buried emotions with Its evocative imagery and universal truths.

The Sandpiper's Spell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

From your review, I can see that you really enjoyed reading this book. I will not describe myself as a fan of poetry, but I might just try this one as it sounds beautiful.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! It's rare to find really good poetry like this any more. Sounds like he did a really great job. Nevertheless, poetry just isn't my forte. So I'm going to pass, but I do appreciate your information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I am not a fan of poetry, so I don't think I'll enjoy this as much as I want to. Excellent review! I appreciate your thoughts and the genuine love you hold for this book :D
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I appreciate poetry and enjoy reading it occasionally. It sounds like the author did a masterful job of conveying his thoughts and emotions through prose. Thanks for the recommendation.
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

The Sandpiper's Spell seems to be a poetic catharsis of Tom Pearson's life! Your notation of the free verse mirroring the non-linear path is a unique and beautiful description of the poetry. I look forward to exploring this piece!
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

The Sandpiper's Spell seems to be a poetic catharsis of Tom Pearson's life! Your notation of the free verse mirroring the non-linear path is a unique and beautiful description of the poetry. I look forward to exploring this piece!
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Corhan2 wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 08:43 From your review, I can see that you really enjoyed reading this book. I will not describe myself as a fan of poetry, but I might just try this one as it sounds beautiful.
Usually I am not a poetry person but there was a kind of magic to this book that I absolutely loved. Hope you enjoy it too.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 09:29 Wow! It's rare to find really good poetry like this any more. Sounds like he did a really great job. Nevertheless, poetry just isn't my forte. So I'm going to pass, but I do appreciate your information.
Then thank you for sticking around and leaving a wonderful comment. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Morgan Jones wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 10:22 I am not a fan of poetry, so I don't think I'll enjoy this as much as I want to. Excellent review! I appreciate your thoughts and the genuine love you hold for this book :D
Thank you so much for the support, Morgan! :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Cecilia_L wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 15:18 I appreciate poetry and enjoy reading it occasionally. It sounds like the author did a masterful job of conveying his thoughts and emotions through prose. Thanks for the recommendation.
He really did! It felt like reading magic. He has some really great poems in there. Thank you for the support! :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

KarinaBordas wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 15:26 The Sandpiper's Spell seems to be a poetic catharsis of Tom Pearson's life! Your notation of the free verse mirroring the non-linear path is a unique and beautiful description of the poetry. I look forward to exploring this piece!
Thank you so much! And I hope you end up enjoying this read as much as I did. :tiphat:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I love Greek mythology, so you've definitely intrigued me! Thanks for the beautiful review, it is obvious that the poems resonated deeply with you.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

You did a brilliant job bringing out the strengths and highlights of this book, but since I'm not a poetry reader, I think I'll pass. Thanks for your review though - I enjoyed reading it :)
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

gen_g wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 05:02 I love Greek mythology, so you've definitely intrigued me! Thanks for the beautiful review, it is obvious that the poems resonated deeply with you.
Thank you, as always, for your support and kind comment! :tiphat: :tiphat:

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”