Official Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Your paragraph about the negative representation of women in these poems reminded me of something I recently read. It was not nearly so blatant, but it was as if the writer had no idea he was implying sexist ideas. It's almost like it was subconscious and therefore unintentional, but its subtly destructive nonetheless. Thanks for another great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kprince7
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by kprince7 »

well beautiful write up but why the negative shade in women?
teeflow1982
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by teeflow1982 »

wrote a fantastic review on a book that doesn't seem to be for the faint of heart. I dislike the negative few of woman but the psychological effects of war has me so intrigued. You perfectly brought out Best Evidence
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

JR Mercier wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 12:20 I've never been this into a review. You wrote a fantastic review on a book that doesn't seem to be for the faint of heart. I dislike the negative few of woman but the psychological effects of war has me so intrigued. You perfectly brought out Best Evidence. (I'm clapping hands.)
Thank you for your kind comments! The book definitely hits hard, so if you decide to pick it up, I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I did. :D
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

AWANDO OGUTU wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 13:43 I'm opined that the theme of war is the predominant theme. The book highlights the effects of war to the society.
Indeed. Thank you for the kind comments!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Catevanne22 wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 17:03 The Asian culture is definitely a fascinating one, and one that I know little about. I have enjoyed prose poetry in the past, and I might like this book as well. I think the representation of women in a negative light is a part of Asian culture in that time period, and as such I don't believe in turning away from reading about it. Isn't that one of the problems of our PC culture as it is? We don't seem to want to know about anything we disagree with, so I would not forego reading this book just because of the way women are portrayed. Why not look at it as an educational experience; one that we can hopefully change for the better?
Definitely, the book is still worth reading - there are many things that we can learn from it. I totally agree with you that people usually tend to not want to learn more about the things they disagree with, which leads to misunderstanding/miscommunication. If everyone were more open-minded, the world would be a better place. Thank you for taking the time to read the review, I appreciate your comments!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

SamSim wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 17:31 Your paragraph about the negative representation of women in these poems reminded me of something I recently read. It was not nearly so blatant, but it was as if the writer had no idea he was implying sexist ideas. It's almost like it was subconscious and therefore unintentional, but its subtly destructive nonetheless. Thanks for another great review!
I agree about its subtle destructiveness - I find that much of society (no matter the ethnicity) tends to place women in an inferior position. It's something that we have to change, hopefully sooner rather than later! Thank you for your kind comments as always, SamSim! :D
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I know as much about poetry as I do about performing surgery on ducks. I loved your review though - maybe his blatant sexism is due to a crazy mother/wife/other important female in his life? Still doesn't make it right... :)
Thanks for the great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Bianka Walter wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 01:35 I know as much about poetry as I do about performing surgery on ducks. I loved your review though - maybe his blatant sexism is due to a crazy mother/wife/other important female in his life? Still doesn't make it right... :)
Thanks for the great review!
I know right? :lol: But to be fair, I would say that it is hovering somewhere in between 'blatant' and 'subtle' (LOL). Thank you for your kind comments as always, Bianka!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

kprince7 wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 19:34 well beautiful write up but why the negative shade in women?
I’m not sure either, but it seems like the author himself is not aware of it. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

my1life6 wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 12:58 This is a fantastic review. Makes me want to read the book and better understand the culture.
Thank you very much for your kind comments! I hope that you enjoy it. (:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Pedromac wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 17:23 This review really got my attention..

Though ah dont really have Great interest in poetry but this was nice.. getting to know about about the asians cause there's really alot to know...

Nice review
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not a huge fan of poetry to begin with. Plus add in the fact that it's prose and doesn't have the best view of women, and I'm pretty much out. I'm glad that you were able to appreciate the author's experience as an Asian American, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This sounds like a good read and I think I can relate with the author being Asian-American. I'm not American obviously, but I do know how is it feel like being an Asian in a country predominantly with the whites. I cringed at the implied sexist part but I will risk reading this because someone has reminded me that a few weeks ago that "every book deserves a chance." By the way, good review!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

kandscreeley wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 07:35 I'm not a huge fan of poetry to begin with. Plus add in the fact that it's prose and doesn't have the best view of women, and I'm pretty much out. I'm glad that you were able to appreciate the author's experience as an Asian American, though. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for taking the time to read and to leave a comment, Kandscreeley! Despite its somewhat problematic views of women, I did still enjoy the rest of of his works, indeed.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”