Official Review: Beautiful Boy: a play by Pete Pryor

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Official Review: Beautiful Boy: a play by Pete Pryor

Post by kwame1977 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beautiful Boy: a play" by Pete Pryor.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is the joy of every married couple to welcome a baby into their family. However, this happiness is short-lived when they had to go through battles in combating a disease that has a tendency to limit the happiness of the couple as well as their baby. The case of a two-year-old boy, Conner, is the same. In his book Beautiful Boy: a play, Pete Pryor has acted the story of this boy in a drama. This is a drama and poetry book published in 2012. The names of the characters of the play have been listed with their respective roles. Conner has a speech impairment known as autism. With an incredible family support system, the stage is set to fight and conquer this dreadful disease that has demeaned this handsome boy. With his father Richard in the forefront and the combination of the skills of other health professionals, the journey of fighting this disease was started. This battle wasn’t easy, but it was worth fighting.

This is a very beautiful play that teaches determination. It informs that for every tunnel, there is a ray of light at its end. It gives hope in times of distress. It teaches the effectiveness of teamwork in achieving a goal. There is a sense of belonging in every situation. Patience and perseverance are important moral values.

However, It would be unfair to recommend this book to any person due to some reasons. There are poor capitalization and punctuation of sentences and words. Some words have been merged together without any space between them making them meaningless. There are lots of spelling and grammatical errors. Some of the tenses are incorrect. Although this is a drama and poetry book, the use of literal devices is very minimal and not encouraging. An average reader will find it difficult to comprehend the story due to the high number of errors. I am wondering if the author took time to read the book before publishing. This is a very good drama, but I am disappointed because of the limitations above.

I recommend the author properly edits his books before publishing. If he has a problem with the editorial process, he can employ the services of professional editors. It is necessary to note that publishing a book takes some time and not on a silver platter. The author needs to upgrade himself to the standard English Language so he can excel in his chosen profession.

It’s unfortunate I cannot give good ratings to this book. I think there is more room for improvement. The author should fix the above limitations and present the book for another review. I hope to be able to review the next edition of this book. This piece of work done by Pete Pryor is below average. I, therefore, rate his book Beautiful Boy: a play 1 out of 4 stars.

Beautiful Boy: a play
View: on Bookshelves

Like kwame1977's review? Post a comment saying so!
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

The story sounds very emotional - so just to be clear, he has autism? Because that’s much more than a speech impediment, and I gathered from your review that the goal was to conquer it? Do you mean cure? There is no “cure” for autism. I found this a little confusing; was it confusing to read? Not in terms of the editing, but in actually getting the medical storyline across?
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story seems interesting. This reality-based drama would appeal many parents who are facing such problems. That's unfortunate that the editing is poor. I have reviewed a similar book "That place of knowledge" of an autistic boy. You can check it out. Thanks for your review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I find it interesting that you liked the drama, yet give it only one star. The editing must have been truly awful to merit such a poor rating. I am a bit confused about your review -- autism is not merely a speech impairment, and cannot typically be "conquered," merely quelled. Were these the book's descriptions or your own?

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”