Official Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Re: Official Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills

Post by dhomespot »

I tired reading poetry a couple of years back, but it just seemed like a bunch of random thoughts. I tried to read the sample, but the introduction was all I was allowed to see. Thank you for an honest review.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Loved your review, however this is not the book for me.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Good review. Poetry is not really my thing, but this one sounds good.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like the poetry as it deals with every day situations, like familial relationships and questioning faith. Great review.
pfftlucy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pfftlucy »

As far as poetry goes, Of Illusions and Ink Spills had a gentle flow through the words and was consistent in quality throughout the text. As a reader who isn’t overly fond of poems, I cannot give this book a superior rating, but kudos for having a book of poetry that I actually read all the way through! Admittedly, I had to look up definitions of some of the words, which visually allowed for a better flow in the poems, but baffled me in how the meaning fit in.
Overall, 6.5/10!
hjvdiaz_87
Favorite Author: Veronica Roth
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer ' s Stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
fav_author_id: 2445

Post by hjvdiaz_87 »

First of all, this book has such an attractive and engaging title. It begs to be read, especially when the flow of the words are so rhythmic and poetic.

Second, thanks for this review. It gave me a better feel for the book. (Btw, witchen is the combination of the words witch and elm, like the tree, and if I were to guess at what the author meant... I would say that it might have something to do with how the subconscious branches out, given the nature of the elm tree. But again, that's just the connection I make.) Also, it made me want to read this compilation of poems even more than before.
reader44ever
Currently Reading: Locke & Key
Bookshelf Size: 1052
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader44ever.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by reader44ever »

The title and cover really drew my eye to this book. I found your review after downloading it for reading. :-) I'm a little concerned over your statement that. . . "This isn’t a collection of poems that can be read once and easily understood; for many of the poems, I had to read them multiple times and really ponder their meaning before I could come up with some type of message or theme, whether intended or not by the author."

I have mostly been mystified in my life when reading poetry. If that much thought is required, I'm not sure I'll be able to read this collection. (I certainly wouldn't enjoy it.) But. . .Given that this book is not very long, I will still give it a try and hope to enjoy it!

Thank you for a great review!
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

"Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani" is a collection of poetry with approximately sixty poems out of which many are free verse. Some poems are easily understood and some are difficult to decipher. The cover and the title are good. Thanks for the well-written review.
akohn0314
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by akohn0314 »

I found the poetry itself to be rather insightful, touching on the themes of anxiety from trying to meet deadlines, self-realization despite rejection, lovers vs. players, self-esteem, exclusive society and conformity vs. revolution and inclusion, to name a few.

Divya Hirani's poems are thought-provoking, challenging to the reader, macabre and absurd at times. Maybe a few of her words and phrases require some looking up, and melancholy may produce more of an appreciation for poetry, but how can we appreciate the light without the darkness? Were we all not born without some difficulty?

Although I once adored Shakespeare's sonnets, sometimes a reader craves something more than lovey-dovey and easy feelings. It is the visceral and difficult experiences that enrich and strengthen our souls, and Hirani captures that with her writing. I enjoyed the free verse form, although her punctuation might need some work.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I agree that to truly understand, to "get" poetry, we must totally immerse ourselves and study the work thoroughly. This is often difficult, but very much worth it in the long run. This sounds like a collection that really makes one think. I may have to purchase it so I can see for myself. Thanks for your insight!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

When Authors use wording that seem inappropriate, they lose the reader or what they are trying to express. Whereas, your review simplified exactly what other readers needed to know concerning this book. Thanks for the honest review. :tiphat:
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1886
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills, by Divya Hirani',promotes the noble idea of a reader, to read the art of poetry! The reviewer's reactions to the technical aspects of the poetry, is informative!
Blessyn5
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Blessyn5 »

I love the title "illusion and ink spill" very captivating but I am not poetry type, I can't really explain why. But the sounds so interesting for those who love poets.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

The title is amazing. Congrats on the review. I'm not a big fan of poetry though I just might read it.
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

I don't read poetry on a regular basis but this book sounds interesting. I want to see how the author uses these indecipherable words that you talk about in your review.
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”