Review: Drift by Shehzar Doja

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookTraveller
Currently Reading: Pawn of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booktraveller.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Review: Drift by Shehzar Doja

Post by BookTraveller »

My Rating: 5 Stars

This is the first time I review a book of poetry, so hopefully I did it right! I want to thank my friend Shehzar Doja for giving me a free copy of his book and for allowing me to review it.

"Drift" is a collection of fourteen poems that guide the reader through a journey of remembering the past and walking into a new future.

I absolutely loved reading this little book: it’s full of emotion, melodies and soft colours. For me, there is no other way to explain it. I found that Shehzar is a master in bringing out emotions with his style of writing and the vocabulary he uses. The words flow beautifully and they give a sense of calmness even through the poems that bring out feelings of loss and loneliness. The eloquence of his phrases and the melodical connection between the words leave this lingering feeling of calmness and softness, like a soft morning breeze.

The connection between the poems is amazing and I can only describe it as being inside a small boat and just gently moving with the flow while watching paintings appear in the morning fog. There are several references to childhood, different memories, and Bangladesh which he describes not with a tone of loss or even nostalgia; I would say it’s more in a tone of someone that understands that the past makes us who we are, how important it is to remember it but knowing that we can't live in it. Shehzar also describes moments in everyday life that most of the time, we don’t stop to appreciate and he does it beautifully. He paints with words which is something I really appreciate and admire.

The poems that spoke to me the most were “Distance”, “Arid” and “An SMS sent Home” as they describe the illusion of distance that is created when moving from one place to another; the sense of loss and the feeling of missing home and feeling lonely while remembering the past; and how “home” is not a physical place but something we hold close to the heart.

Breathtaking beautiful, “Drift” gives a sense of hope and light. I highly recommend it to fans of modern poetry with a scent of spices and the colours of a sunset.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I would like to read this novel , I am not interested in poetry though . Thank you for your review?
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

I can't wait to read these poems. They sound wonderful. I checked out your review because I liked the title, Drift. Great review, thanks for giving such thorough thoughts on the book.
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

Poetry is not something I like very much but your review sounds wonderful. I think I should try it out.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”