The twelfth night, Shakespeare

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
trista_miller
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trista-miller.html

The twelfth night, Shakespeare

Post by trista_miller »

Once you get past the Elizabethan language this play is colorful and engaging. Its fun watching the characters unknowingly fall for each other, while you the reader know exactly what is going on. Unlike some of Shakespeare's other plays, this one offers a very straightforward plot making it easy to follow along. There is also an interesting homoerotic level to this play, which makes it different from other plays in that era. It is my personal favorite Shakespeare play and I would recommend it to anyone.
Stinne
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Stinne »

I really love this play too! I read it as part of a schoolprojekt... It is a bit hard to read because of the language, but it is also a very beautiful language! I love the pictures Shakespeare paint with words! The story is fun, but you might have to look up a few words to understand the jokes, but i really think it is a good play, and I enjoyed it a lot! If you like Shakespeare, this is a must-read!
jenniferliu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferliu.html

Post by jenniferliu »

I remember I first read this play back in grade nine. This was probably the first light-hearted Shakespeare play I read and I instantly fell in love with the characters. I feel like Shakespeare's female characters are always strong in his comedies such as this play and Much Ado About Nothing whereas they are generally weaker in his tragedies.
Brooklyn Tree123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooklyn-tree123.html

Post by Brooklyn Tree123 »

Sounds interesting, next on my reading list!
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

His comedies are much more enjoyable for the modern person then the tragedies. Unfortunately, most people are first exposed to Shakespeare when they are forced to read his plays.And then they learn to haste him. If more teachers would show a movie, or better yet, arrange for a field trip to see the play, and THEN discuss the play, people would appreciate him.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Zahid ali
Currently Reading: Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Zahid ali »

I remember I first read this play back in grade nine. This was probably the first light-hearted Shakespeare play I read and I instantly fell in love with the characters. I feel like Shakespeare's female characters are always strong in his comedies such as this play and Much Ado About Nothing whereas they are generally weaker in his tragedies.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I have never read a play by Shakespeare. I think the Merchant of Venice was in the syllabus for my high school literature class but my teacher didn't have the time to cover it. We did read short story adaptations of many of his plays in Grade 8. I've always wanted to read Shakespeare but I am running from the old English. I only joy it when I am reading the Bible (KJV)
Rezia

Post by Rezia »

wanna read this pleas
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

The best way to tackle Shakespeare is, of course, to see a good production on stage, second best to hear it being read. I usually end up reading aloud to myself. This play is good fun, although you usually have to suspend disbelief unless you can really get a Viola and Sebastian that look alike. It's kinda hard when Sebastian is a head taller! Really, I think the Duke is half blind not to spot Viola! Still, "if music be the food of love play on, give me excess of it!" A man who likes music can be forgiven much. I'm sure Shakespeare's audience loved it. I gather if they didn't, the actors were pelted with rotten fruit!
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

I love this one. I remember reading it in 12th. It felt like a drag at first but it was totally worth the read.
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

Twelfth Night is one of my favorite Shakespearean romantic comedies as well. It has a well knit plot with cross dressing and beautiful poetic lines.
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

I got to play Sir Toby Belch in my college production. So much fun! This play is so funny and I love it! The language is so naughty yet beautiful at the same time.
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”