Review of Abundant blessings from a broken soul

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Abundant blessings from a broken soul

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Abundant blessings from a broken soul" by Marissa Pennington.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

T​he lengthy title and subtitle offer clues to the subject matter of this poetry collection. The cover photograph is also revealing because the face of the author is not shown. Abundant Blessings From A Broken Soul: A Poetic Journey From Anguish to Praise by Marissa Pennington is accompanied by haunting photographs by Rebecca Danielle. The collaborative effort of the two artists gives readers an opportunity to connect in both mediums.

T​he 26 poems appear chronologically as Pennington navigates her recovery from depression and other mental illnesses. There are 157 pages, but half of them are blank and are provided for readers to record their answers to introspective questions relating to a particular poem. Each poem is accompanied by a short narrative about the poet's inspiration for the piece. For instance, "Worth Far More'' explains how it is much easier to have compassion for others than it is to be that way towards ourselves.

I​n addition to being introduced by a photograph and followed by a short narrative, the poet includes a biblical scripture relevant to the theme of the poem. These come from both the new and the old testaments. Pennington, who is involved in the ministry at her church, gives credit to God for her recovery. Because this is her personal journey, she is describing what worked for her. Her message is not intended to be a mandate for others to follow.

J​udging these poems on their literary merit would be unfair. Most of them rhyme and sometimes the rhymes are forced and awkward. At the beginning of the book, the author writes, "Actually, I don't even like to write and here I am with a book of poems. Only God . . ." Since Pennington believes that her poems were inspired by God, I will leave the criticism up to someone more heavenly qualified than I am.

A​lthough this book deals with an individual's emotional pain, I feel that the book could also help anyone suffering from chronic physical pain. The temptation to be free from pain through death is strong in both cases. The poem "Fascination" talks about surviving through travails.

C​hoosing a rating is difficult. The positive of this collection is its honesty. The negative is the literary quality of the poems. There were no errors. The photographs were exceptional. I like the concept of including blank pages for reflection. The positives outweigh the negatives. I am giving Pennington and God a five out of five. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to overcome any kind of pain. Readers will be inspired by the author's road to recovery.

Abundant blessings from a broken soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ignesta Ignetius
Currently Reading: A Dream for Peace
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignesta-ignetius.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Ignesta Ignetius »

This sound like it'll make an interesting read. Your review is detailed and enticing. I look forward to reading this piece.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for commenting.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I like the idea of blank pages for readers to write their thoughts. Though it sounds like the book is not a literary masterpiece, the author seems to have offered a complete expression of her journey with photos and anchored by meaningful scripture.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Patty Allread wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 10:46 I like the idea of blank pages for readers to write their thoughts. Though it sounds like the book is not a literary masterpiece, the author seems to have offered a complete expression of her journey with photos and anchored by meaningful scripture.
The author has indeed focused on her healing. Thanks for the comment.
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

The title has offers clue of the book. The prom must be an interesting one. I will add it to my bookshelf ASAP. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”