Review of Our Lives in Verse

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Review of Our Lives in Verse

Post by Moo Reny »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our Lives in Verse" by Ann Brubaker Greenleaf Wirtz.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Our Lives in Verse: Everyday Poetry by Ann Brubaker Greenleaf Wirtz is a book of poems that has 74 pages and 3 sections. The first section has 13 poems, the second section has 8 poems, and the third section has 14 poems. The book starts with a part that tells readers how the book came to be.

This is a book of poetry that arose from the author's desire to clear her mind about everyday life, and as she began to put her experiences on pen and paper, she documented her journey through poems, in which we can see many things such as her aspirations, fears, and losses; would you like to know what they are? Read this book to find out.

I must commend the author's poem-writing skills. I hardly read books about poetry, but seeing how creative and well-written this poem was, I was glued to the very end of the book. In the months of the year part of the book, I love how the author explored seasons because these are ordinary things that we just see, experience, and forget about, but the author saw these various seasons and got creative with them by writing poems on them; this is truly amazing, and her description of scenes was also very vivid. I could visualize the different scenes as I read.

This book covers themes such as seasons and family, and in the first section, my favorite poem was the April poem, in which the author began creatively and simply inserted one of the most beautiful lines of poetry talking about the crucifixion of Jesus, who is the reason for celebrating Easter, and she ends it with people understanding that Jesus is the essence of Easter; she also brilliantly described him as a flower. I like how she celebrated each month and the things it held. There were many poems I could relate to as well, especially the poem "And then I thought." It made me think about the many things I thought I'd be and ended up not being.

There's nothing I can say I dislike about this book, but at some point it got me thinking if the author wrote poems for every event in her life; the June poem was emotional. For me, it made me see how quickly time passes, and there was a prayer for America, which I consider selfless, and it demonstrated love for her country, which is biblical to pray for our country. Therefore, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. It is professionally well-edited, and I found no errors while reading it.

I recommend it to readers who love poetry and people who like to think deeply about natural phenomena; they'll relate well to this book.

Our Lives in Verse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I'm not really a fan of poems however the idea of the writer documenting day-to-day activities in form of a poem is inspiring. Nice review.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I am not a fan of poems or poetry but I applaud the author for a job well done. Your review of the book is detailed. Well done!!!
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I’m not a big fan of poetry, but I read it if it come across my way. I’ll love to know what the author wrote about the meaning of each month. Well done!
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

I would love to know what this author has to share about daily life experiences in her poetry. Although, I am not a fan of poetry but I believe this novel will be exciting.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

Wonderful review, I commend the authors writing skill and her poetry style.
Favour Ozone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-ozone.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Favour Ozone »

I'm not really interested in poems. The book contains some good insights about natural phenomena which is why i would like to read it. Great review.
Chris Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakazuka.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Chris Azuka »

I'm not really a fan of poetry but I must say that I'm beginning to get the hang of it. Using lines of poem conveys a story which has a deeper meaning. Nice work of the author. Great review.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

From the title, I am already intrigued and amazing by how beautiful the book will be due to the blend of poetic devices and elements. Amazing review by the author.
Lay-cee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lay-cee.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Lay-cee »

Our lives in verse is an amazing book, I don't normally read poetry books but seeing this wonderful review, I wouldn't mind giving this brilliant piece a chance, the poetic blend and creativity gave it a really nice touch and twist. Great review.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

I must commend the author's poem-writing skills. I hardly read books about poetry, but seeing how creative and well-written this poem was, I was glued to the very end of the book.
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

This book talks on one of my favorite time of the year. The Easter celebration really means so much to me. I was so drawn to this book by your review I commend you so much for this piece. Good job.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

What a poem! Your description of this poem makes me want to read it. I'm not much of a poem fan, but I'd like to read this one. Great review.
Faruqinspired
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faruqinspired.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Faruqinspired »

We can see many things in the poems in this book of poetry, including the author's aspirations, fears, and losses; would you like to know what they are? This book of poetry was inspired by the author's desire to unburden herself of the worries of daily life. Learn more by reading this book.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

Indeed, poetry is a medium through which people are able to express themselves and their thoughts. I am looking forward to reading this collection of poems. Interesting review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”