Review of Confessions

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Peter Umeh Jr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-umeh-jr.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of Confessions

Post by Peter Umeh Jr »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Confessions" by Zubair Mulla.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Confessions by Zubair Mulla is a collection of fifty-five beautifully written poems touching on diverse topics like loneliness, loss, survival, ingratitude, humanity, resilience, life's challenges, truthfulness, worrying, and even the therapeutic nature of writing. The poems are crafted uniquely. We see a person struggling and surviving, taking his time, trying to figure out life. This person, whom we cannot identify, writes about his experiences, which expose the reader to many interesting and intriguing themes. Despite these challenges, the individual in these poems remains persistent and resilient. Most importantly, the poem that the poet has taken the time to write will go a long way in showing us how therapeutic writing can be because, from its beginning to its end, we can see detailed documentation of this individual's journey of self-discovery.

One thing I enjoyed while reading this book was the poet's focus on the pain and abuse that human beings face in their lives. This poem speaks about the difficulties that fill the lives of humans. The poet lays so much emphasis on the abuse that an individual faces. This focus on pain helps people confront their deep-seated fears and helps those who have gone through abuse in their lives feel as though they are not alone in their struggles. This is one of the positive aspects of this poem.

Another positive aspect of this book is the author's use of words. Mulla makes use of words that are relatively easy for the reader to understand. This makes it easy for an individual to attempt to understand the message the author is trying to pass across. He also makes use of words that are aimed at describing the emotions of the individual in the poems.

One thing I disliked about this book was its openness. Even though most poems are left open for the interpretation of the reader, this poem leaves too much room for interpretation. This would lead to various readers drawing several conclusions from reading the same words. This makes it difficult for one to pinpoint the exact message the poet is trying to pass across. This is the only thing that I found very confusing.

I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give this book a higher rating due to the aforementioned negative aspects. This singular negative made this book rather confusing for me personally. While reading, I found just one grammatical error, which leads me to believe that this book was very well edited. I will recommend this book to all individuals who have faced abuse and pain at some point in their lives, as this book would help them deal with it.

Confessions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Wren Michaels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wren-michaels.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Wren Michaels »

Great review. This sounds like a very inspiring and moving collection of works.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

I really love poems and this is going to be one I would gladly read. Thanks for the review.
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

Overcoming life challenges is a difficult thing to do. However,the end point is always enjoyable.great review.thanks.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Ruthwriter wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 07:29 Overcoming life challenges is a difficult thing to do. However,the end point is always enjoyable.great review.thanks.
Exactly... It seems life is always a roller coaster of survival. I share your point of view, Kudos to a nice one.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”