Review of Poems by Shauna Gonzalez

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of Poems by Shauna Gonzalez

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poems by Shauna Gonzalez" by Shauna Gonzalez.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everything that happens to us in life shapes us to be who we are and drives home a lesson. Poems by Shauna Gonzalez is a book that encompasses a collection of poems showcasing some of the author's life experiences. It explores the themes of love, pretense, and faith.

This book consists of nine poems enclosed in a twenty-four-page book. It takes the reader through the author's journey at certain stages in her life and sends a message of hope. The second poem in the book, titled "Cracked Mirror," focuses on self-acceptance. Shauna used specific words to elucidate how a new perspective helped her to appreciate herself for who she was. This also caused her to show appreciation to God, the creator, who sees no flaws. One of the poems focuses on her marriage and how she learned to consider God's will, especially when making marital decisions. The last poem talks about her mother, their relationship, and the pain her mother had to go through. In a state of chagrin, who does the author turn to? Read this book to find out.

Shauna Gonzalez's use of poetry to describe the experiences she encountered at various stages in her life was superb. It gives depth to every emotion being passed across, making it easy for the reader to digest every piece of information being shared. Using this genre also makes it easy for the reader to focus on the subject matter of each poem. Shauna uses simple words to convey her message, making it easy to comprehend. The way she blends several elements heightened my interest and made me appreciate every sentence.

There are several things I love about this book, and one of them is the fact that every poem has a focus. The author does not leave the reader to wander, trying to figure out the specific message being passed across. She provides a sense of direction. For instance, the fourth poem is centered on time and how it should not be wasted. My favorite poem is the sixth, titled "The Buy My Love Game." It is my favorite because I could relate well to the emotion that the author was passing across with it. The poem also reminded me of the importance of being able to stand up for what I want and not be swayed by other things or people.

After reading the ninth poem, I wished that was not the end and hoped for more, all because I was intrigued by the shared story. There is nothing I dislike about this book. While reading the book, I observed a few grammatical errors and must commend the author for her effort in delivering a well-edited book. I rate Poems by Shauna Gonzalez 4 out of 4 stars because it is impactful and allows readers to delve deep within themselves and learn to appreciate their worth.

I recommend this book to individuals seeking to find themselves and understand their identities more. I believe readers will gain insight into what it means to love oneself, even their flaws.

Poems by Shauna Gonzalez
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”