Review of The Habit of Writing: A Poetry Collection

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of The Habit of Writing: A Poetry Collection

Post by OB Brian »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Habit of Writing: A Poetry Collection" by Kaladia B. Chaney.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Habit of Writing: A Poetry Collection by Kaladia B. Chaney is a compilation of short poems that are educational and relevant to many aspects of human life. The verses encompass the topics of God and the Christian faith, love of a child to their parents and vice versa, family bonds in general, friendships, and self-worth.

According to the author, all the poems in this anthology have a bearing on her life. Some resulted from the choices she made and her life encounters. Others, on the other hand, arose from events around her. The book comprises a preface, thirty-nine poems, and additional information about the author at the end. This novel adopts the name of its first poem, which tells the reader why the author is in “the habit of writing,” what she writes about, and how she wishes her writings will touch someone and encourage them to be better.

What I liked most about this read was the simplicity of the rhymes. The poems are precise, and the language that Kaladia uses is direct and easy for any reader to digest. In her writing, the author praises God, recognises her parents and teachers for their instructions, appreciates her family for their support, and offers sound advice to readers. For instance, in one of her poems on page forty-one, the author tells children to show love and appreciation to their mothers at all times. She advises that we should not wait for Mother’s Day to profess our love to the world. Instead, helping with household chores to allow her rest should suffice. Such writing, from her heart, is what makes this novel such an appealing masterpiece.

Still, this novel was not without flaws. For such a compact and easy-to-read novel, one would expect perfection. So, coming across typos and other grammatical mistakes was a bit disappointing, even though the errors were too frivolous to dampen my enjoyment of this work. Thus, I recommend another round of editing to bring this book to perfection.

That said, I award The Habit of Writing: A Poetry Collection three out of four stars, deducting one for said errors. I recommend this anthology to readers who enjoy poetry. Children, young adults, and the old are all welcomed to try it as this work is devoid of profanity and sexual content. While the author is a Christian and speaks of her faith, her poems are non-proselytising. Therefore, people of all religious beliefs can find a thing, or two, in this novel to take home.

The Habit of Writing: A Poetry Collection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

A poetry anthology will sure interest poets and lovers of poetry generally. Great review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”