Clouds Cannot Cover Us by Jay Hulme

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Clouds Cannot Cover Us by Jay Hulme

Post by Gravy »

Clouds Cannot Cover Us, by Jay Hulme, is a collection of poems aimed at young adults. There are a lot of dark subjects explored in this collection (abuse, hate crimes, homelessness), but there are a lot of light hearted, hopeful poems as well. One of my favorites is "The Meaning of Stories" and kind of thumbs its nose at literature snobs (huh, wonder why I like this one? :lol: ).

The first poem in the book that caught me is titled "The Feet of Giants" and talks about art and its effect on us.

Various others made an impression on me as well:
  • "The Mastery of Men" about domestic violence
  • "I See You" about homelessness
  • Christchurch, "March 15th, 2019" about the white supremacist attacks on the Al Noor Mosque and Linwood Islamic Centre in Christchurch, New Zealand
  • "I Am A Man" about being trans, gender dysphoria, and transphobia
  • "Picture Quality" about the ongoing fight for the right to exist for trans (and other LGBTQIA+) people
  • "Beauty's a Construct," (self explanatory)
  • "The Letters We Lose." A fun and fanciful imagining of letters and words and what happens to them when they're erased

Overall, I absolutely love this collection, and I don't really have a bad thing to say about it. I have his next collection (The Backwater Sermons) and I can't wait to dive into it.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”