Review of Ticker Tape Poetry and Other Things

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Review of Ticker Tape Poetry and Other Things

Post by Hhannahh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ticker Tape Poetry and Other Things" by J.M.Butler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I'll start my review by giving Ticker Tape Poetry and Other Things by J.M.Butler 4 out of 4 stars because it was a perfect book, and I liked everything about it.

Ticker Tape Poetry and Other Things is a collection of 23 short poems, most of which are about the dogs the author has trained in her time as a professional groomer. These poems the author wrote for the owners of the dogs, after each dog's passing, in order to ease their (the owner's) pain. Besides the poems about dogs and grooming, there were other poems on a varying range of topics, from a fond poem to her granddaughter, who was then in boot camp, to a reprimanding poem to the cooperate office of a chain store that had pissed her. And all the poems were lovely.

This book was a short and engaging read. There was an introductory paragraph at the beginning of each poem. Plus the introductory story, most poems spanned about a page or two, and a few took three to four pages. With a simple diction and a generally upbeat tone, the poems had no definite rhyme scheme, but, often, two or three lines would rhyme. The lyrics were good, and, a couple of times, the author provided the rhythm for a poem. I noticed only five errors in the whole of this book, so I can easily say that this book was professionally edited.

It was hard to pick what I liked best about this amazing book, but I think it had to be J.M.Butler's sense of humor, which I guess she got from God. (She said God has a sense of humor, and I agree.) I'll start by appreciating the fact that she chose to write this happy book, despite having lost all her family to the Dark Man. Moving on, the author's sense of humor was apparent from the very first poem, which reads:
"There once was a man from Mena
Who thought his life was suprema
But then his three wives
Discovered his lies
And they took his ass to the cleana

Yeah, I know. There are no such words as “suprema” or “cleana,” so give me a break and call it creative license."

I don't know why, but this last commentary cracked me up badly. There was another humorous poem, Big Sam, and it was about a chihuahua. The first line of Big Sam reads: "Sam was a Chihuahua but at heart a Great Dane."

Besides the humor, I liked other things about this book. Butler's rhyme, in which she takes pride, was impressive and humorous (like in the first poem above). I also liked the author's tone, which varied from poem to poem—fondness as she recalled the mischiefs of her furry customers and compassion as she wrote poems to be presented at Christmas. I also liked the introductory story at the beginning of each poem. There was nothing I disliked about Ticker Tape Poetry and Other Things; it was worth the time and resources.

If you're an animal lover, you'll love this book. I think anyone who is empathetic towards animals will enjoy this book. There were mentions of the Lord and angels in one poem, God's Little Crew, and the author often implied at the end of most poems that the furry fellows were in heaven. There was also a ridiculously vulgar poem, for which the author apologized to those who might be offended, but I didn't mind. If you were bothered by anything in this last paragraph, I fear you might not enjoy a few poems in this book.

This book is not your typical poetry book with heavy words and metaphoric lines. I think of it as a simple and special book from a poet who has got the heart and rhymes.

Ticker Tape Poetry and Other Things
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oliver Lugard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Oliver Lugard »

Very Talented J.M. Butler, I Have read the book and I agreed with your Assessments. And I can Assure you that "Everything Written about the book is Great" Keep it up.
This book is not your typical poetry book with heavy words and metaphoric lines. I think of it as a simple and special book from a poet who has got the heart and rhymes. I am one of Animal lovers. I loves it.. Thanks
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds like a cute collection of poems from someone who just enjoys writing and enjoys life. Thanks for your great review!
Hhannahh

Post by Hhannahh »

Booklover Becca wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 10:32 This sounds like a cute collection of poems from someone who just enjoys writing and enjoys life. Thanks for your great review!
You summarized it just right. It is a lovely book. Thank you for comment.
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

Wow this very interesting, I love poems, good review
Hhannahh

Post by Hhannahh »

Miriam nkere wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 23:30 Wow this very interesting, I love poems, good review
Yes it is interesting. Thank you for commenting.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I like that the book is short and engaging. Thus is a book I'd love to eat. Thanks for an insightful review.
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

Love it when people appreciate little things, moments that we often forget to take notice of. Would definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Edr
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edr.html
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by Edr »

It looks like a very interesting book: a collection of poems to enjoy the little things in life. I love that it highlights dogs! Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller
Hhannahh

Post by Hhannahh »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 02:21 I like that the book is short and engaging. Thus is a book I'd love to eat. Thanks for an insightful review.
Thank you for commenting.
Hhannahh

Post by Hhannahh »

Edr wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 15:18 It looks like a very interesting book: a collection of poems to enjoy the little things in life. I love that it highlights dogs! Thanks for the nice review.
Khushboo Barwar wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 15:44 Love it when people appreciate little things, moments that we often forget to take notice of. Would definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Little things that matter... Thank you commenting. :)
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

What a great gift to give someone who has just lost their pet! I hope that eased their suffering a little. Thanks for a well-written and informative review!
Chisom oguejiofor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Chisom oguejiofor »

I'm not a fan of poetry, but simple poetry, of there's a thing as that, appeals to me. What makes this book more appealing to me is that it is about dogs.
Lovely review.
Emily7568
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Emily7568 »

I like this book a lot it's short and full of emotion

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”