Official Review: Must Read The Preface by Author's Name

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Must Read The Preface by Author's Name

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Must Read The Preface" by Author's Name.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Must Read the Preface, by Author’s Name, is a unique book filled with the author’s random musings while “in a different state of mind.” Essentially, each of the 87 pages in this book contains a random thought from the author, which came about while under the influence of some type of substance. The thoughts are intended to range from comical to thought provoking, and some are simply meant to be nonsensical. The author states that it would be best to read one page of the book per day.

The anonymous author of Must Read the Preface includes thoughts that are mildly thought provoking. For example, the author makes comments about how different bodies are perceived by society. Similarly, a few insights about future technology are made, like one musing that wishes for a program that could send one’s thoughts from their mind to an app on their phone. However, despite a few gems in this book, the majority of the author’s musings are difficult to decipher and lack substance.

Although the premise of this book is intriguing, the book doesn’t succeed in the way the author intended. The majority of the thoughts fell into the nonsensical category. Instead of finding myself laughing or pondering insights, the majority of the book was awkward, confusing, and failed to entertain. Moreover, the thoughts are unedited, which the author states in the preface. It would be acceptable to not edit the thoughts for content; however, the grammatical errors in the thoughts are numerous, distracting, and unforgivable. For example, readers can expect to read thoughts like, “What was I going to oh can I ask the navigation of the question wasn’t it their’s first”.

The book could have worked better if the author reflected on these random thoughts later on, while in an unaltered state of mind. It might have been humorous to read the author’s interpretations of the thoughts that were written while under the influence. However, without any additional context, the majority of the book was meaningless and a bit frustrating.

Additionally, Must Read the Preface is a difficult book to recommend. The intended audience would most likely be readers looking for humor and readers who are interested in the musings of someone in an altered state of mind. However, the book fails to connect the reader to the author’s altered state of mind, so the resulting thoughts are mostly underwhelming nonsense. The book is also riddled with profanity, which might turn away readers. Due to the grammatical errors, lack of entertainment found in the thoughts, and absence of an audience to recommend the book to, Must Read the Preface earns 1 out of 4 stars .

Must Read The Preface
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

What an experience /book! Thanks for an honest review.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I'd love to read the thoughts of the author on different issues. Great review.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

Wrote a book under the influence of some kind of substance, and he wrote a book. I'll surely read this one.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Oh wow, this sounds like an incredibly interesting concept, but it definitely sounds like the author needs to break their rule and give it some form of editing. Thanks for the honest review
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

Although, I love when the author says read one poem a day, I don’t think the lack reflection over your own poetry is something a author should stick to. I’m more of a deep, words-burning-under-your-skin type of poetry person. I’ll pass this one. Thanks for the review.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

A book written under the influence of something,well,i don't think i will be reading this.Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts about this one.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”