Official Review: Dark and Light Verse by Allen Lee Ireland

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Dark and Light Verse by Allen Lee Ireland

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark and Light Verse" by Allen Lee Ireland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The beauty of poetry is in deciphering the deeper meaning of words, and Dark and Light Verse by Allen Lee Ireland is a true beauty. It is a whole new world waiting to be discovered, and "WOW!" is the least emotion you will get. There are no mysteries to poems. It is the world around us and beyond — its wonders and mysteries, funny and tragic gifts, beauty and evils, all draped in finery, rhythm, and wordplay. The poetic suggestions are modern, mesmerizing, and sometimes heavy with themes centering on light, boyhood memories, loves lost and found, nature, dreams and wishes, the tragedies around us, and hope. The language is simple yet profound, the rhythm flows beautifully, and the imagery is powerful and relatable — a melange of things dark and light.

I know some people (including me) are hesitant about poetry. We worry about comprehension. However, it was love at first read with this book. The language, the flow, the rhythm, and the depth can all be summarized as beautiful and mesmerizing. I love it. Every poem is a delight (some do have tragic themes, though). If anything, it spurs the reader to make a change in attitude or perception. One of the lines I love is in the poem "May Day." I'd quote: "The wind is like a wave, And all the flowers are tossing in its sea." The imagery here is as powerful as it is beautiful. I also love the rhymes in some poems, e.g., "At the Public Library," and the rhythm in others; the flow is natural and graceful.

Some of the poems are personal to the author, and he will be better positioned to interpret them more deeply. However, these poems still speak to the reader in that universal way the poems do. The message is not lost, and we get to see the poet's life journey, and in it, we recognize ourselves — our journies, thoughts, and hopes. The poem "Stargazing" is an apt example. I also love the conversational technique employed in some of the poems, almost like prose; it says a lot in a few words.

Poetry works are usually devoid of errors, and this collection is not an exception. It's safe to say that the book is exceptionally edited. The poems are well organized, and they aren't wordy or bulky, thus making it an easy read. A point to note is the use of 'lion' instead of 'lioness' in the poem "Analogy." I feel 'lioness' will be apt since the author refers to a female of the species. However, this might be intentional, and the reason is open to interpretation. Apart from this, there's no complaint I have against this book.

I will recommend this collection to lovers of poetry, especially readers starting to explore the world of poetry. Seasoned poetry lovers would find this collection meaningful as well. It is modern, versatile, and dreamy. Of course, I'm giving it 4 out of 4 stars. Readers are guaranteed to come away with a sense of satisfaction and purpose.

Dark and Light Verse
View: on Bookshelves
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

Poetry is a beautiful art. It's beauty is found in the way it can take you round the world with the rhythm and words with a deeper meaning bringing to life a whole new world. Most become relatable to our situations and we are able to comprehend the meaning even in deeper depths. Thank you for your captivating review.
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Elon Gathungu »

Poetry is like a mirror, everyone looks into it and sees something unique staring back at them. You can read a poem and have it resonate with something totally unique to you. Your review captures the riveting power of of poetry. Thank you for your beautiful insight.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Poetry is so hard to review sometimes because it’s difficult to convey the emotions behind it, but you did a great job. Wonderful review!
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

I am not so much into poetry myself, but from your enthusiasm about this collection of poems, it seems it would be worth a try! Thanks for the detailed review!
Ethan3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ethan3 »

I am not in favour of poetry,but your excitement gives a courage to give it a try!thanks for the review
Hazel Palay
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Hazel Palay »

This poetry is a wonderful masterpiece. It can take you around the world with the rhythm and words with a deeper meaning bringing to life a whole new world. Thank you for your beautiful artwork.
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

I love poetry, it can say so much in just a few lines. Your review makes me want to try this one, thank you!
Vampire_demon
Currently Reading: At the Feet of Serenity
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vampire-demon.html
Latest Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Post by Vampire_demon »

I think I would love to read this book , because I'm interested in poetrys . They way it wil be written in small yet beautiful words which is what catches my eye mostly in poetry after reading the review . I should first go and add it in my reading list
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

A no-chunky-words-still-depicting-the-alluring-timeline-of-love-dreams-boyhood-memories poetry collection? Well, I’m in! 😌
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Poetry the soul and heart of art! If I'm going to make this pick, your review is top of the lost reasons.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Poetry are not my genre really. But this looks like one I could start with. Thanks to your review.
Uzzy_Reviews
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Words of poetry always have deeper meaning and it takes reasoning to understand. Great review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”