Official Review: The Missing Angle by Karine Leno Ancellin

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: The Missing Angle by Karine Leno Ancellin

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Missing Angle" by Karine Leno Ancellin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The beauty of poetry lies in its ability to be simple and yet evoke milliards of ideas and emotions. It gives the reader the keys to unlock his or her imagination, and its beauty is ever-changing. The Missing Angle by Karine Leno Ancellin embodies all these and more. It is a melting pot of living experiences and an ode to love and life. It offers an assortment of words that tries to make sense of a dynamic yet beautiful world.

The Missing Angle is heavily dotted by references to Greece, Greek mythology, art, geography, and the celestial bodies. The poems draw from the poet's personal experiences: love, immigration, multicultural heritage, technology, deprivations, yearnings, and world events. It encompasses the fragility of human emotions, despairs the world's misfortunes, and takes pride in the human spirit's resilience. It succeeds in reaching into the depths and stirring the strings of the soul. Finally, it leaves in its wake a yearning for what is lost but can be regained.

There is a saying that each poem has its audience, meaning that each poem speaks to certain people and sometimes not to others. The interpretation of poetry is subjective, and therein lies its uniqueness. Although some of the poems in The Missing Angle were personal to the poet, like "Midwifing the Poem," I still was able to grasp some meanings of my own from them.

The play on words is also rhythmic and enjoyable. For example: "on your exposed skin, my besotted lips lick lukewarm lies" and "When will you arrive, return, depart and come again? How will the minutes measure to the dusks and the darks?" These beautiful lines leave a lasting impression and are a testament to the poet's mastery of words.

This book's poems are expressed beautifully, with some interesting layouts that mirror the poems' souls. "Gmail Novel" is written like an email while "Mood Button" reads like a chat. In "Free Fall," the poet's pain expresses itself in the lingering of her words as if she is stretching out her soul. At the bottom of some poems, some difficult words are also explained. A knowledge of Greece and Greek art and mythology would go a long way in helping the reader appreciate this book. A quick search on the internet comes in handy when this knowledge isn't readily available, though.

It is almost impossible to find errors in poetry because the rules of grammar and lexicons are bent to allow for the poetic mind's creative expression. So the body of work in itself contains no errors. However, the first three pages of this e-book are out of place. The first two pages seem like something from another website, and the third page is a distortion of the front and back pages of this poetry collection. This is the only complaint I have about this book.

This collection is recommended to lovers of poetry and readers curious about poems on love and longings. It is definitely an enriching book for literature lovers.

I would rate this book a 4 out of 4. This isn't just a collection of poems; it weaves stories that speak to its readers individually. My personal favorite, "Late in Love," speaks of the dilemma of modern love.

The Missing Angle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

The first part of your review reads like a poem. It sounds like readers will find poems to relate to as he covers many relatable experiences. Great review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Lizvip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizvip.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by Lizvip »

Poetry is something that most people relate it especially when the topics are such as love or loss. Great review.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Poetry can never go wrong. It is always a master piece. I'm getting this one. Amazing review.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Poetry? Well, I'm not a fan. Maybe people who loves poetry might consider this. Thanks for the review though.
Uzzy_Reviews
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

onyii_review wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 14:17 Poetry? Well, I'm not a fan. Maybe people who loves poetry might consider this. Thanks for the review though.
I'm glad we share sane feeling. I think I'll pass on it.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Poetry will never cease to be soulful. And this one is not an exception. Great review

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”