Official Review: Armless Hugs by Jim Meehan

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Official Review: Armless Hugs by Jim Meehan

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Armless Hugs" by Jim Meehan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you have ever been unable to embrace someone you love because you are physically or emotionally separated by illness, a job, or other circumstances, the title of this book would surely capture your attention. Jim Meehan penned the titular poem over twenty years ago to articulate how it felt when he would return home late at night after one of his many business trips and find his wife and daughter already asleep. His emotions would be conflicted—he longed to embrace them but did not want to disturb their rest. With separation so prevalent during the current pandemic, Meehan has published this poem and others in a collection entitled Armless Hugs.

This compilation of fifty-eight poems is divided into two parts. The first part focuses on relationships, while the second part addresses life in general. The compositions are short and use unobtrusive alternate and couplet rhyme schemes. I do not read poetry often, but I appreciate this genre because of the stylistic freedom and the artists’ ability to communicate so much in so few words.

The offerings in part one include sage advice for parents in “Teenagers Are Tops” and an interesting take on a life-giving transfusion in “Love Donors.” Part two contains musings about topics such as what matters most in “Priceless Values” and defining humility in “More or Less.”

Besides being a poet, Meehan is a positive psychologist and a scientist, and I enjoyed the times when his areas of expertise intersected. An example is “Now or Never,” where the author contemplates the duration of “now.” This poem made me think about the universality of “now.” It doesn’t matter what time it is halfway around the world; at any given moment, it is “now” here and there. Then the scientist continues and literally brings the reader back to Earth with this mind-bending line: “When we look at the stars we are looking at the past.”

My favorite poem is “Picture a World.” Inspired by the work of Meehan’s psychological mentor, Dr. William E. Hall, it painted the picture of a world where every man, woman, and child was fully engaged, doing the “good things they were good at.” They knew their skills and strengths and were using them and strengthening them for the benefit of the world and themselves. It took my breath away to imagine such a place. He described the look in their eyes—the sheer delight of doing what they love. That would be paradise! The song “Imagine” by the Beatles describes a peaceful world without boundaries, but this poem takes that peaceful world to another level.

Interestingly, my least favorite poem in the book is the one about the aforementioned Dr. Hall: “A Most Remarkable Man.” It described Dr. Hall’s work in identifying talent and helping people achieve their highest potential. It was an interesting topic, but it did not flow well. I was inclined to read it as prose, but having it break into lines and stanzas kept interrupting the thought. It felt forced and out of place.

In deciding my rating, I initially considered factors such as the number of poems I liked and how the writing flowed. In the end, I kept only one metric: how the poems affected me. Can you put a number on inspiration? I guess I just did. I rate Armless Hugs 4 out of 4 stars. Allowing for poetic license, I found only two minor grammatical errors in the collection. I recommend this read to anyone who enjoys thought-provoking inspiration. The poems are short and simple but deep in meaning. There is neither profanity nor erotic content in this compilation; it is appropriate for all ages, but adults will relate best to the topics.

Armless Hugs
View: on Bookshelves
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
namuyong
Currently Reading: Primal Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by namuyong »

I love your review on this poetry book. The poems in this book seem like they are very touching and filled with emotion
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

The poetry in the title is so creative. 🙌👏 I also find the subject of love really relatable for me. Thank you for the review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

namuyong wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 12:00 I love your review on this poetry book. The poems in this book seem like they are very touching and filled with emotion
The poems reflect the author’s love and respect for humankind. They really were were touching.
Thank you for your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

REIGN GODDESS wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 12:54 The poetry in the title is so creative. 🙌👏 I also find the subject of love really relatable for me. Thank you for the review.
Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your visit.
Rosa Parks
Tonze
Currently Reading: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonze.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Tonze »

Wow! This book attracted my attention. The title is very attractive "armless hugs" , I am touched because I live in situation almost similar I and my husband we have a long distance relationship due to the nature of our work and everyday we are obliged to pass by videos calls, sometimes we wish to be together when it's so cold but it can't be possible! I think this book can help, I have definitely to read it. Thanks for your insightful review! Congratulations to the author
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Tonze wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 01:45 Wow! This book attracted my attention. The title is very attractive "armless hugs" , I am touched because I live in situation almost similar I and my husband we have a long distance relationship due to the nature of our work and everyday we are obliged to pass by videos calls, sometimes we wish to be together when it's so cold but it can't be possible! I think this book can help, I have definitely to read it. Thanks for your insightful review! Congratulations to the author
I hope you enjoy the author’s take on your shared predicament. Thank you for your comment!
Rosa Parks
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Though I am not into poetry, I find the themes featured in this book to be very touching. In my experience, something always tries to be a barrier to love. Nevertheless, thanks for the great review and recommendation.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Saint Bruno wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 00:43 In my experience, something always tries to be a barrier to love.
That’s an interesting observation. I would agree. I won’t wax philosophical, :eusa-think: but I think it’s because love is so powerful.

Thanks for your visit and your comment.
Rosa Parks
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

The publication of this collection is very timely as we get used to connecting without physical contact for the foreseeable future. This sounds like an inspirational read. I enjoyed your clearly written review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 04:15 The publication of this collection is very timely as we get used to connecting without physical contact for the foreseeable future. This sounds like an inspirational read. I enjoyed your clearly written review!
It is timely indeed. I was amazed that the author wrote the titular poem at a totally different time for a different reason, yet the sentiment is so appropriate now.

Thank you for stopping by, ButterscotchCherrie! I appreciate your comment.
Rosa Parks
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

The title itself is eye catching, just immediately enters the world of imagination, how can one hug with no arms? Interesting.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

jokinyo wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 21:48 The title itself is eye catching, just immediately enters the world of imagination, how can one hug with no arms? Interesting.
The title does engage one’s imagination! It’s a clever way to describe the situation. I hope you decide to check out these poems. They are quite thought provoking.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Rosa Parks
Mae Barberan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mae Barberan »

The title has caught my attention. Made me miss someone I love right now.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Mae Barberan wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 14:57 The title has caught my attention. Made me miss someone I love right now.
It is a captivating title—it had the same affect on me. Thank you for commenting.
Rosa Parks

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”