Official Review: Death of a College by Robert M Dixon

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: Death of a College by Robert M Dixon

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death of a College" by Robert M Dixon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) have played an important role in shaping American society by providing opportunities to African Americans, especially before the Civil Rights Act. Martin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey, and Kamala Harris are a few of their notable alumni. Their relevance to the current United States has been continuously questioned, however, and they face significantly high rates of accreditation sanctions. Many of them have either closed or remained open in name only. Each case is unique and involves several factors, but Robert M. Dixon's Death of a College grants us insight into a falling institution, its struggles, and the interests surrounding it.

The book, written as a play, is divided into four acts. It follows Stonewood College during the 1980s as Dr. Jason E. Hammer, the recently appointed president, tries to prevent its downfall and loss of accreditation. He soon finds himself in a massive web of conspiracies and corruption from both within and outside the institution. Despite being a fictional account, the story is informed by the author's experience in higher education; this is evident by the richness in detail when it comes to the administrative proceedings and complex politics.

Though the story is predominantly plot-centered with minimal individual focus on the characters, you can follow and enjoy it even without any knowledge or interest in the inner workings of colleges. At its core, the book is a spectacle of human drama where loyalty and hard work compete with intrigue, manipulation, and incompetence.

While it would have been easy to paint a simplistic scenario of good versus evil, the plot thrives in its wide, sophisticated web of motivations. There are those with ambiguous intentions, selfish individuals who have even fooled themselves into thinking they are virtuous, well-meaning people blinded by shortsightedness, and many other interesting characters. Dr. Hammer is a particularly fascinating protagonist: competent and devoted to the cause but prone to making mistakes due to inexperience and fear.

The author employs an interesting narrative device in the form of Waverly Bennings, who served as dean of the faculty from 1920 to 1960. Despite being dead, he shows up as a commentator from time to time to unveil hidden details, provide a different perspective, and highlight Stonewood's history and principles, making the reader more invested in the college. His sparse appearances enhance his impact; indeed, he is absent from many of the more engaging moments near the climax, allowing the story to speak for itself.

Death of a College is a masterful drama that will appeal to readers who enjoy complex character dynamics. It is also a great read for those interested in higher education, especially HBCUs. Due to the several errors and instances of awkward comma usage I found, however, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I don't recommend the story if you prefer character-driven narratives with deep psychological exploration. There are only a few borderline profanities and no mature content, so the book is suitable for many audiences.

Death of a College
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This is a very interesting way to approach this dilemma. My parents both went to HBCUs—before they were called HBCUs. :D I would expect that the author has woven real-life scenarios into this fictitious plot.
I think I’ll check out this one. Thanks for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Wow! This book has all the things I'm looking for: historical relevance, drama and a bit of suspense. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Although I prefer character-driven stories, this one sounds quite intriguing :) But really sorry about all the issues! Thanks for a great review!
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I'm personally more interested in character-driven stories when it comes to fiction so Death of a College might not be the perfect choice for me, however, I enjoyed reading your well-written review. Thank you!
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

I never knew Black Universities had to struggle so much. I hope the errors are fixed to allow for smooth read.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”