Official Review: The Miller's Tale

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: The Miller's Tale

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Miller's Tale" by Geoffrey Chaucer (Brian Lamont translator).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

John is an aging carpenter with an 18-year-old wife, Alison. He is understandably jealous because Alison is a raving beauty, and many men are besotted with her. Two of her staunch admirers are Nicholas, John’s tenant who lives with them, and Absolon, the parish clerk. Both Nicholas and Absolon woo Alison with songs and gifts. Will Alison stay faithful?

“The Miller’s Tale” is the second of the 24 stories in Geoffrey Chaucer’s immortal book, The Canterbury Tales. In the 14th century, pilgrims trek to the Canterbury Cathedral; the diverse members of one fictional group of pilgrims tell the 24 tales. A free meal awaits the one with the best tale. Chaucer's work, unlike Shakespeare's, was not required reading when I was in school. I could never hope to understand the original piece written by Chaucer in Middle English from 1387 to 1400; Shakespeare’s 16th-century English was challenging enough. However, the invitation to read a translated part of this collection of tales by “the greatest English poet of the Middle Ages” was one I could not resist.

“The Miller’s Tale” was considered bawdy literature, called a fabliau, during that time. I couldn’t suppress a chuckle; I wondered how the people of that era would react to Fifty Shades of Grey. Nevertheless, I found the tale entirely fascinating. That is not to say I agreed with the actions and reactions of the characters.

Brian Lamont, the translator for The Miller’s Tale: Modern English Translation, explained that there were many translations of this tale, but he endeavored to “follow the intended line structure” of ten beats to a line and the original rhyming pattern. That was definitely a lot of hard work. Lamont’s very accessible translation cited references to the particular lines in the original piece; the reader could look up the original words for curiosity’s sake. I did try, and it was fun. Consider this verse: “Of eighteteene yeer she was of age. / Jalous he was, and heeld hire narwe in cage.” Lamont translated this riddle as follows: “She was of her age still only eighteen. / Jealous was he, so he kept her unseen.”

The four main characters were intricately defined, and I appreciated the lives of the people of that era: their costumes, activities, and hobbies. It was a time when bloodletting was a cure for diseases, and men "chewed on spice and seasonings to smell sweet." I made the acquaintance of several early English saints. That the story was told in verse was an added treat. The story was humorous, but there were serious undertones that I was moved to think about. These included equality between social classes, compatibility in marriage, and plain respect for one’s fellow human, issues that still baffle us in the 21st century.

The story was told twice, once as a straight translation and the second time as a dramatic play. The story was very short, and the second telling was not unwelcome. Everything became even more vivid as I imagined the characters prancing around on a stage.

I recommend this 77-page book to lovers of ancient literature and those who want to be transported to that time in history. The reader has to be prepared to read about the characters’ private parts, though. I also call on anyone who wants to get to know Geoffrey Chaucer who, like Shakespeare, greatly influenced the way people read. Both these literary giants died in their fifties; isn’t it amazing how much they achieved in their short lives?

I am giving this book a hearty 4 out of 4 stars. The only thing I didn’t like about it were the few typos, but they were not bothersome. I wish Brian Lamont would work on the other 23 tales. I will be first in line.

The Miller's Tale
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Even I found myself grinning ear to ear when I thought of our forefathers' reaction to Fifty Shades of Grey. The book seems like a good read. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I wonder if Alison stays faithful to her husband. I enjoyed reading this review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

Wonderful review. For someone like me who is not a lover of literature books and poetry, I think I want to give this one a try. the plot looks fascinating and I think I would love it if I read it.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like something really unique and engaging! I'd love to give it a try :) Amazing review!
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

Now I'm curious. Thanks for a stimulating review.
Misty20058
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Misty20058 »

This is not a book that I would normally go out of may way to read. However, after reading the review it sounds like a good read. Thanks for the amazing review.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

How fun! I actually took a college class on Chaucer and fought my way through the original Canterbury Tales, which I loved. This new updated edition sounds fabulous!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

unamilagra wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 21:45 How fun! I actually took a college class on Chaucer and fought my way through the original Canterbury Tales, which I loved. This new updated edition sounds fabulous!
Wow, that must have been some fight! Do you agree that The Miller's Tale was the best of the bunch?
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

Teele wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 13:44 Now I'm curious. Thanks for a stimulating review.
I agree with you.It invokes curiosity.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

"The reader has to be prepared to read about the characters’ private parts, though."

Ah, intricate details of private parts, what fun!
When will you be writing your own story, Miriam? I will be first in line to buy it. And then I will expect a signed copy.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Bianka Walter wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 13:11 "The reader has to be prepared to read about the characters’ private parts, though."

Ah, intricate details of private parts, what fun!
When will you be writing your own story, Miriam? I will be first in line to buy it. And then I will expect a signed copy.
Not that intricate, just enough to shock them in the 14th century and tickle us in the 21st. Jennifer Hero will be bored stiff!

Actually, I plan to write mine in Middle English, so it might take a while. LOL! How are you doing in the Fatherland? Gesundheit!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

rahilshajahan wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 08:13 Even I found myself grinning ear to ear when I thought of our forefathers' reaction to Fifty Shades of Grey. The book seems like a good read. Thanks for an insightful review!
And thanks for grinning with me.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Elvis Best wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 10:04 I wonder if Alison stays faithful to her husband. I enjoyed reading this review. Good job!
I won't tell, but thank you for gracing the page. ;-)
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

The_Vivian wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 11:16 Wonderful review. For someone like me who is not a lover of literature books and poetry, I think I want to give this one a try. the plot looks fascinating and I think I would love it if I read it.
It is a narrative so there is not much to misinterpret, and the translation is so easy to read. It's "Chaucer for dummies" and I loved it.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”