Official Review: From My Heart and Spirit to Yours: A Col...

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Official Review: From My Heart and Spirit to Yours: A Col...

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From My Heart and Spirit to Yours: A Collection of Poetry" by William H. Lewis III.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From My Heart and Spirit to Yours: A Collection of Poetry, by William H. Lewis III, is an inspiring read. The poems cover a wide range of topics and evoke a wide range of emotions. Some are sad or angry, and some are uplifting or happy. Some are based on the author’s own experiences, and some are based on the experiences of people he has met. But one thing is constant: God.

The individual poems I enjoyed the most were those I felt I could relate to or those that made me feel something. The poem “Children” was my absolute favorite. I’m a mother, and my children are my everything. The words in the poem so accurately described what it’s like to have children. Lewis writes, “Will give us the courage to fight a lion to save their life. Will make us work harder than ever.” I’ve never read truer words.

Other poems inspired me and gave me hope. The first piece in the collection, “The Almighty God,” was comforting. I could see myself going back and reading it when times are tough. “Hard Work” makes me want to be the best version of myself, no matter what. “This Day” is something I can see myself reading each morning to start my day. It’s a good reminder of simple things you can do each day.

There were poems I couldn’t relate to personally, but I still enjoyed reading them. There were some dedicated to Malcolm X and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. There were poems devoted to his black brothers and sisters. They were very relevant to the racial issues currently going on in the United States.

I was also a fan of Lewis’s writing style. He uses a lot of repetition to drive his points. I was just reading in my head to myself, but I could imagine the power that would come forth if his words were to be read out loud.

Because nearly every poem mentions God, this book is best suited for those who believe in Him. You don’t need to be devoutly religious. The author talks about God in an inspiring way. It’s encouraging, not in your face.

I would rate From My Heart and Spirit to Yours 4 out of 4 stars. There was nothing I disliked about this book. There were a few errors, but they didn’t distract or take away from the meaning of the work. The book was what the description said it was: a collection of poems meant to touch people.

From My Heart and Spirit to Yours was a quick read full of meaningful poems. Honestly, I’m not usually a fan of poetry, but I can’t recommend this book enough. The topics are inspirational and relevant to events happening today. Everyone should read it!

From My Heart and Spirit to Yours: A Collection of Poetry
View: on Bookshelves
almeidabel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-almeidabel.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by almeidabel »

I already wanted to read this boo but now I need to do so!
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I've never read a book of poetry. Seems I may have to give this one a try. Thanks for your great review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

I love poetry books and this one seems to be beautiful and inspiring. Poems can touch our hearts and our feelings like nothing else. Thanks for the great review!
Kaylee Elmer

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

almeidabel wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 13:25 I already wanted to read this boo but now I need to do so!
Do it for sure! You won't be disappointed!
Kaylee Elmer

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 12:11 I love poetry books and this one seems to be beautiful and inspiring. Poems can touch our hearts and our feelings like nothing else. Thanks for the great review.

Thanks for taking the time to read my review! I truly loved this book.
Kaylee Elmer

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

Elvis Best wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 16:28 I've never read a book of poetry. Seems I may have to give this one a try. Thanks for your great review.
I don't usually read poetry. I find the language too "flowery" and weird normally. This book was amazing though. It was very easy to read and understand.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

Including poems on sensitive issues like racial discrimination would be my favourite aspect of the book. Appreciate the insightful review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The review seems promising. I love reading poetry and this book holds all the elements that make it special.
cyriladavan
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyriladavan.html
Latest Review: Just Another Day by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by cyriladavan »

Kaylee123 wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 17:53
Elvis Best wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 16:28 I've never read a book of poetry. Seems I may have to give this one a try. Thanks for your great review.
I don't usually read poetry. I find the language too "flowery" and weird normally. This book was amazing
though. It was very easy to read and understand.

I know a lot of people who share the same sentiment. But it is also good to know that a lot of poets out there are already changing this stereotype.
Nwaogazie Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaogazie-goodness.html
Latest Review: The Harlem Story by Danny Holst

Post by Nwaogazie Goodness »

I love good poetry, and this seems to be one.
blancaelizondo214
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by blancaelizondo214 »

I love poetry this book sounds really good
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

I can't wait to read this collection! Your review has got me hooked!
Ericchildress
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ericchildress »

I’ve been sitting on this book FROM MY HEART AND SPIRIT TO YOURS for months now. Finally, I took the time to treat myself :techie-reference:, got into this poetry collective and I must admit I’m feeling late for the party but you know better late than never. This piece took me places that touched my heart and soul and made me think of doing better, being better before it’s too late. Motivation is what I received reading “Progress is a Process, Beyond the Beach and This Day”. This book is must read for me. I found myself deeply moved by “Front Row.” Overall, I really enjoyed the read. My emotions are full and like your “Letter to My Young Black Brother” I found myself saying to self, it’s okay to cry. Thank you William H. Lewis I will be looking for more writings from you in the future. 🙏🏿

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”