Official Review: Passions: Love Poems and Other Writings

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Official Review: Passions: Love Poems and Other Writings

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Passions: Love Poems and Other Writings" by Gabriela Marie Milton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Passions: Love Poems and Other Writings, by Gabriela Marie Milton, captures the feeling of someone who loves deeply and is no longer with her lover. The reason for their separation is left a mystery, but the poems repeatedly paint scenes of passion, loss, and an ache to be with her lover again. The book is broken down into three sections. The first section contains several shorter poems. The second section is poetry by Flavio Almerighi, written in both its original Italian and its English translation. The third and final section includes some narrative, free-verse poems that are vignettes of dialog and interactions between characters.

As mentioned, most of the poems centered around romantic love. One of my favorites was “Wooden bed.” The narrator is asking her lover to not destroy the bed in which they first made love. The poem’s ending reveals that she is writing from a concentration camp. Depictions of other types of love were included. The poem “Tombs” ends with a declaration that the narrator will always love her father. Other topics were mixed in as well. “No one’s world” juxtaposes intense descriptions of a rifle firing among the screams of children and brides with the narrator counting empty seats in a bar and someone’s coffee getting cold. The variety of topics made reading this book feel like I was flipping through a friend’s reflection journal.

There are many positive things to say about this work of literature. I immensely enjoyed the strong emotion evoked when reading it. Milton was also great about using a variety of words. I found myself looking up some in the dictionary because I was not familiar with their meaning. My favorite attribute of this collection of verses was the powerful imagery that the author used. Her metaphors were thought-provoking. I often found myself pausing to soak in her meaning, savoring the profound grouping of phrases. One of my favorite metaphors was found in the poem “Marigolds.” It said, “Old wounds crawl on my skin; columns of ants looking for honeydew on a tropical tree.”

I found myself not preferring the lack of context for the characters that the author used in her vignettes in the third section. Since this is a book of poetry, the reader should not expect a clear map of plot and characters. However, the author did consistently include four names: Jacques, Clara, Miguel, and Angelo. Bits and pieces of their stories were revealed. It was like finding a few pieces to a puzzle that you knew you loved and wishing that you had the other pieces. I felt the author could have offered a bit more clarity without telling a long, drawn-out story. This was my least favorite part of the book.

I give this well-edited book 4 out of 4 stars. The pieces that I did not like were due to personal preference. Milton delivers a stellar sensuous collection of tragic love poems. Readers should know sexuality and intimate moments are alluded to but are not explicitly described. I recommend this book to poetry fans who enjoy tragic love poems.

Passions: Love Poems and Other Writings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Wow, this is a great book wants to read it in future am a great fun of poem.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

This sounds like such a beautiful emotional book and I'd really love to read it. It's always so lovely to see people writing wonderful poetry. Thanks for the review.
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

I love the author’s choice to add in both the original Italian and the English in the second section. Not only does that give the opportunity for study for language learners, but those who are fluent in both languages can choose which one they would like to read instead of having to buy two different copies of the book. There's so much value in seeing two languages side-by-side.

It’s so great to see a poetry book done well and received well, so I’m pleased~ Thanks for a wonderful review!
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! I"m really into poetry about love and this book seems very alluring and unique.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

What an amazing review you gave this book. This book is quite an emotional one I must confess. It sounds like one feeling forlorn yet wishing it could end already. Worth trying out.
Maxwil1
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Maxwil1 »

Personally I don't know how I can explain, define or interpreted love. It's a mystery and it heart breaking of you don't end together for the rest of your lives. It's like some people we fall in love with are like tears, it can be in us but the moment it's she'd, you can't retrieve it.
I love the book though the story are too emotional
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Another book on poetry. Would appreciate reading it on a fine Sunday afternoon. Thanks for the review.
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

Very excited to read this thrilling book. Thank you for the incredibly thorough review!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”