Official Review: Love strands by Alex jace

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Love strands by Alex jace

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love strands" by Alex jace.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love Strands by Alex Jace is a book of erotic poetry brimming with passion and sensuality. With over 150 poems, each spanning only a page or two, this collection traces the ups and downs of life through somewhat ambiguous, entertaining wordplay. The main topic is undeniably love. Jace illustrates that while love can be wonderful and exciting, it can also be saddening and frustrating. These challenging feelings are peppered in with the positive ones, mirroring the complex cycle of human emotion.

Though not a quick read, Love Strands enticingly pulls in readers from start to finish. Almost all of the poems consist of varying line lengths in a single stanza, making each a complete thought. Each poem has a common thread but different focus; each word is intentional, and some are even invented. Many phrases tickle the tongue and evoke curiosity: “Be cautiously correct / Did blindness just unfold where control was once kept?” (from “A Purity of Passionitis”). Jace’s writing is heavy in adverbs and double nouns, which I admit to disliking at first. However, I quickly grew to appreciate their whimsical nature and contribution to alliteration. The rhyming scheme is fascinatingly unpredictable, keeping readers on their toes. There were only a few instances where it felt forced.

In describing variations of love, Jace’s voice is generally lofty and musical but can sometimes be casual and clear. As with the rhyming, the voice changes are unpredictable but welcome. The more direct phrases are the solid ship, while the rest are stunning waves that glitter in the light. Continuing with this analogy, I see the titles as the anchor of each poem. Most are short and curious, giving readers an overarching reference point. For example, in “Timely Responsive,” Jace explores sensuality through a symbolic wrist watch. Glimpsing the theme at the beginning provides the opportunity to appreciate the lovely language throughout.

This poetry has a lot of underlying erotica, abstractly describing the silky feelings of love in every form yet leaving a lot to the imagination. The most vivid poem, in my opinion, is “Sunset Adora,” which mixes a mesmerizing sunset with the warmth of touch. My personal favorite was a two-part poem titled “Lucid Contentment, Resentment.” It describes growing feelings of endearment and resolve: “Perseverance did prove an underlined mission / Integrity did remove negative opposition / Carefree caress in cruise controlling mode / Tickling the mind body and soul.” As for the signature poem, “Love Strands,” you’ll have to read this book to find out!

I regret to acknowledge that there were more than 10 grammatical errors; almost all were misplaced apostrophes. Though minor mistakes, readers paying attention to the weight of each word will notice. This was what I disliked most about the book. Overall, I rate Love Strands 3 out of 4 stars. The poetry is beautiful to read, especially for logophiles, and is quite thought-provoking. It does require time and analysis to fully absorb, so it may not appeal to readers who prefer directness to abstraction. This book is suited for a mature audience due to the conceptual but not graphic erotic content, yet, tastefully, there is not a single instance of profanity. For those who love an interpretive read or are looking for romantic poetry, Love Strands is entrancing.

Love strands
View: on Bookshelves
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

Aww. It would have been such a masterpiece if not for those little shortcomings you mentioned. All in all, I think it's a good read. Thank you for an excellent review.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

I enjoyed reading your review and I must say that this will be a great book if the author makes some improvements in the areas pointed out in the review. Thanks for this insightful review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

I applaud your review.I agree with the author that love us full of ups and downs, it takes commitment to keep pushing.Not really into poems but I am glad you enjoyed your read.
Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

Wow.
Impressive review!
An erotic poetry speaks to body, soul and mind.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It is too bad about the errors; other than that it sounds like an immersive read. Thank you for your compelling review.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

I'm very much interested in getting to know about the signature poem. Unfortunately, the errors in this book cannot be overlooked and I think with a little bit of editing, this book will wound up a smooth read. Other than this, I think it's a lovely book. Great review.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

The errors therein disqualified it from been perfect, well, it's not the book of my type. Well-done for your thorough review
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Awww, I love love. But unfortunately, poetry isnt my thing. Glad you enjoyed the book and I hope it goes through another round of editing.
Kelsey Fulton
Currently Reading:

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

Kachi_Ejiogu+_ wrote: 11 May 2020, 05:29 Aww. It would have been such a masterpiece if not for those little shortcomings you mentioned. All in all, I think it's a good read. Thank you for an excellent review.
I agree. I still thoroughly enjoyed reading it :) Thanks for stopping by!
Kelsey Fulton
Currently Reading:

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

Sheila_Jay wrote: 11 May 2020, 07:01 I enjoyed reading your review and I must say that this will be a great book if the author makes some improvements in the areas pointed out in the review. Thanks for this insightful review.
Thank you for your kind words! I agree that a little polishing is just what this book needs.
Kelsey Fulton
Currently Reading:

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

Splendour0606 wrote: 11 May 2020, 10:22 I applaud your review.I agree with the author that love us full of ups and downs, it takes commitment to keep pushing.Not really into poems but I am glad you enjoyed your read.
Absolutely; Jace illustrates the whole spectrum of love. Thank you for commenting!
Kelsey Fulton
Currently Reading:

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

Nujudee wrote: 11 May 2020, 10:35 Wow.
Impressive review!
An erotic poetry speaks to body, soul and mind.
Thank you so much! Indeed, it does :)
Kelsey Fulton
Currently Reading:

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 11 May 2020, 12:00 It is too bad about the errors; other than that it sounds like an immersive read. Thank you for your compelling review.
Immersive indeed! Thank you for stopping by.
Kelsey Fulton
Currently Reading:

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

Zee_Zee wrote: 11 May 2020, 12:11 I'm very much interested in getting to know about the signature poem. Unfortunately, the errors in this book cannot be overlooked and I think with a little bit of editing, this book will wound up a smooth read. Other than this, I think it's a lovely book. Great review.
I completely agree. The errors are minor but easy to fix; a round of proofreading would polish this nicely. Thank you for commenting!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”