Official Review: The City by Brad Ramsey

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The City by Brad Ramsey

Post by spencermack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The City" by Brad Ramsey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The City by Brad Ramsey is a poem based on George Crabbe’s The Village. The author uses the style and format that Crabbe used in his famous poem, which allows the author to use the 18th-century style with 20th-century content. The subtitle of the book, Being a Pastiche of Book One of George Crabbe’s The Village, shows that the author has explicitly identified his inspiration for his own interpretation. When I first read the title I was worried that too much of Crabbe’s poetry would make its way into Ramsey’s work, but I was pleasantly surprised at how Ramsey adapted his poem to fit modern-day concerns.

The content of Ramey’s poem comes from his experience living in community housing and the struggles that come with this type of living arrangement. Ramsey discusses the pressures people face from outside influences and the lack of support people in these settings receive. Regardless of social services funds, many people struggle to connect and receive what they desperately desire; love. Ramsey also discusses how many people who do not have to struggle with uncertain living conditions do not appreciate their privilege. A portion of his poetry that stuck with me was when he illustrated that people are begging for work to help themselves or their family and many people wake up every day complaining about their job. It was an acute observation and carries a message for everyone who either has a job or needs a job.

I love that Ramsey used a famous poem and adapted it to reflect his own life as well as discuss modern-day issues surrounding city conditions. I think the author dove into many problems that seamlessly get shoved to the side because they aren’t considered real issues or have unfair stereotypes attached to them. Ramsey doesn’t shy away from discussing controversial issues like prostitution and the effect these types of work have on all people. I enjoy when an author is willing to put themselves out there in an effort to make an impact on the reader. Though this book had many achievements, it isn’t the greatest poetry you’ll read. There are many parts that are confusing or attempt at a metaphor too large for the situation being described. At times, I wish Ramsey chose a more simple, elegant phrase than a complicated rhyming description. Ramsey attempts to be honest when he claims not to be a poet in his description of the story, but I wish he did claim that title. He is a poet! He wrote a poem! Claim your work and be proud of it, it’s good!

I am rating The City by Brad Ramsey 3 out of 4 stars. The poem describes difficult living conditions and doesn’t shy away from discussing controversial issues, but it isn’t flawlessly delivered. The poem appears to be professionally edited as I found no glaring grammatical or spelling errors.

I recommend this poem to any reader who enjoys a well thought out contemplation of modern-day concerns, or anyone who is a fan of George Crabbe may enjoy Ramsey’s interpretation.

The City
View: on Bookshelves
Spencer Mack
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

I have also read this book and I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I found the stories he told to be very relatable.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Ogoskino wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 06:54 I have also read this book and I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I found the stories he told to be very relatable.
I can understand the relatabilty. Thanks for the comment!
Spencer Mack

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”